Interesting use of LEDs

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
Last night at work, were were stuck working quite a bit after our normal shift due to the end of the month rush. We had to line up two Microwave (u-wave) antennas. Normally this is not a problem, since in daylight "line of sight" is relatively simple. But the twist is this was done at night because of earlier issues. We could not sync up the u-waves at first, using a compass and some luck. So I busted of the trusty photon which just happen to be on my keyring (Arc LSH-P was in toolbag---darn). I pointed in the general direction of the recipients and they could see it (Yipeee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Then my partner needed to do the same and used is trusty Smith and Wesson 3-led N-cell flashlight to send a constant blink. This actually worked over a distance of about 6 blocks in the Bronx, NY. My boss used to crack on my habit until last night, now he is going to purchase LED flashlights for everyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. The type is currently unknown, but "free is good". The only bad part is that he will probably expect more Overtime considering the night is no longer the enemy to aligning u-waves.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the use of flashlights was a common practice in the hey day of microwave antenna hops.

highlandsun

Enlightened
I use a laser pointer for this kind of task. Great for aligning headlamps on a car, you can pinpoint where the beam center belongs and adjust accordingly.