Just had a small earthquake here in SE Indiana

z96Cobra

Enlightened
Just had a small earthquake here in the IN/KY/OH tri-state area! First one I've felt in about 20 years!

Roger

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I felt it my secret underground bunker in KY. Some in the past have felt like a slow rocking motion, but this one had a higher hertz. Many thumps per second.

bitslammer

Enlightened
I felt it my secret underground bunker in KY. Some in the past have felt like a slow rocking motion, but this one had a higher hertz. Many thumps per second.

Ditto. Just happened to be awake in SW Cincinnati, OH and it rattled a few pictures on the wall. It was definitely a faster shake than the last i remember.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was up paying bills on the computer when it rocked my old house in Martinsville Indiana. Long slow shaking but not too rough there. Of course it is 140 miles or so away from the center of the quake. Most of the ones I felt here years ago were faster and seemed more energetic.

And my house's 110+ year old foundation seems to be intact.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a few notices about it then this one:
DELETED: Event NM hwb0418a

== EVENT DELETED NOTIFICATION ==

***This event has been deleted after review by a seismologist.***

Geographic coordinates: 38.450N, 87.890W
Magnitude: 5.2
Universal Time (UTC): 18 Apr 2008 09:36:59
Time near the Epicenter: 18 Apr 2008 03:36:59

Location with respect to nearby cities:
7 km (5 miles) NNE (13 degrees) of Bellmont, IL
9 km (6 miles) E (88 degrees) of Bone Gap, IL
11 km (7 miles) N (350 degrees) of Keensburg, IL
60 km (38 miles) NNW (331 degrees) of Evansville, IN
206 km (128 miles) E (95 degrees) of St. Louis, MO

...so either you guys are imagining things, or maybe it was something other than siesmic activity..??

nbp

Flashaholic
It was on the news in Milwaukee, and they said it was an earthquake. We have a seismograph on campus at UWMilwaukee, I'll have to swing over to that building and see if they posted any info today. It has registered other things in the past, like when the Falk plant exploded a while back, but I imagine that if something blew up, someone would have noticed. :oops:

kavvika

Enlightened
I felt it too in Peoria! It woke me up. In my sleepy stupor it was very unnerving thinking about the 5-story dorm I live in shaking. It was definitely cool, and my first earthquake, but took me a while to get back to sleep.

Edit: did anyone feel the tremor that just happened! Ahhh this is intense!

Last edited:

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was up with my son and felt it here in here in central Illinois. It shook bad enough I could hear the house popping for about five seconds!!!!! I also felt the aftershock about a 15 min. ago.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I felt it pretty strongly even up here in Iowa. It was shaking the house back and forth and I thought (in my state of partial awareness from being awakened) that a strong wind was gusting and might blow the house down. Then I realized that there was no storm and figured it had to be an earthquake. I never expected to feel one out here.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just felt a small aftershock about 11:15am.

Roger

3 of us here in Indianapolis felt the second one at that time too. Very slight compared to the first and supposedly a 4.2 a little farther north than the first according to USGS. Event code for #2 was us2008qzbw and the biggie was us2008qza6

Now the night lights and explosions in the northern part of the state have been blamed on the poor F-16 jets that get blamed for every unexplained event in the sky. Or weather balloons. :nana: