Nite Core Extreme CR 123 Light

mchlwise

Enlightened
Cool!

I'm assuming the bezel will be black also at some point. :shrug:

Bigsy

Enlightened
The styling just seems a little unnecessarily aggressive.

It looks like nice quality as you would expect, just something not a visually pleasing to me than it should be.....maybe its just the 2 tone bezel, all black might grow on me, maybe..

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
A neat little light there.

The thing is, though, while I understand these NiteCore lights are of excellent design and quality, the UI and features just seem too complicated to me. I like fiddling with my computers and cameras, but I want my flashlights to be simple. I mean, it's a FLASHLIGHT, not the Space Shuttle. And it's not a Light Saber. A couple levels of output, maybe three, and that's it.

And as the poster above pointed out...very 'aggressive' styling. Sure, a strike bezel can have its place. Sure, you want the light to be strong and tough. But I think there's an over-emphasis on things 'tactical' these days. Simple solid construction, some good knurling or checkering (some one should try machine stippling) maybe a step up or down in tube diameter, to keep the light from being too smooth and slippery, but nothing more, please.

I can appreciate the need for a good, small light, in a self defense/home defense situation, primarily for target ID, and to a much lesser extent to momentarily disorient your assailant. But I'm a civilian. The last thing I want to do is have some gadgets that make the cops or the DA investigating me after I've had to use force think I'm a Rambo wannabee. If I have to use force to defend myself, I want to appear as low-key and innoffensive as possible, in terms of dress, weapon choice, and even, yes, my flashlight. Now, if you're an LEO, by all means, load up for bear, and get the meanest baddest gear you can. But for the rest of us, I think 'low profile' is a much better way to go.

Just my $.02 worth.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are they making a 3rd light before they can actually keep the other 2 in stock?

Bigsy

Enlightened
Some of the more cynical people might think they dont want to keep the other 2 in stock.

Pretty common tactic to add brand caché.

m2usa

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm... I guess I don't understand why people don't like the UI of the NiteCore lights. It's pretty much a one-mode light if you don't do anything to the bezel. I've set mine to a mid-low level and it pretty much stays there. If I want a brighter light I turn the bezel closed. Is it because setting the NiteCore is different than say a reverse-clickie 5-mode (like my C-LE?) Is there something I'm missing about these lights? :thinking:

P.S. - I like the fact that they've added a clip on this new version.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Good find TCW 60.

Personally I'm not really interested in another CR123 torch, but it's good to see Nitecore continuing to develop. I'd like to see them develop better distribution channels and better QC too.

liquidsix

Enlightened
Hmm, it's hard to decide if I like that or not.... hmm... It does seem a bit agressive with it's 'cooling fins', and the bezel might have looked better if it was more towards novatac, and less towards HDS RA. Certainly if there is a 2xCR123 version in the near future I'll have to grab those just because it has the kickass nitecore UI.

If you can put this on a surefire E2L body (it does say "E series" right? meaning both E1 and E2?!) then I might just be down for this!