Reflector Vs Optic - quick test.

Jay T

Enlightened
While browsing one of the cheapo dealers I noticed he was carrying the 8 degree optic like the one used in the Malkoff drop in. So I cooked up this little test. I took a Solarforce R2 removed the reflector and did some bounce tests with a light meter.

pmmk.jpg

The stock reflector lit the room up to 20.7 lux
The Frankenstein unit was 23.3 lux.

It's sort of a poor mans Malkoff, but, with very poor dissipation not something to be used for long burn times.

BTW the real Malkoff lit the room up too 31 lux using the same host (2xRCR123s in a 6P)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Not sure what I like better. Optics or Reflector.
What's your intended use for the light?

The clear advantage of optics is that you can collimate the beam an increase throw in relatively little vertical space. To get a tight beam with a reflector, you'd need a really deep one.

Actually, you can *shape* the beam with optics; something that can't be done with reflectors.

Forgoten214

Enlightened
What's your intended use for the light?

The clear advantage of optics is that you can collimate the beam an increase throw in relatively little vertical space. To get a tight beam with a reflector, you'd need a really deep one.

Actually, you can *shape* the beam with optics; something that can't be done with reflectors.

Intended use I am not really sure. I just want something that will be reliable and have a good combination of flood and spill as well as throw. I currently have a Malkoff M60 and a Deree 1SM R2. Both reflectors. I am not sure what I like better honestly. Trying to find out some information on what others think of these two drop ins.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I use the malkoff for most traditional tasks and I use the Deerelight and a smooth reflector when it's time to throw a good long spot beam or generally want to play around with a small thrower.

You've got 2 real winners. I say put each in a host of it's own and go have some fun. :thumbsup:
If you are needing a 2nd host the black MD2 of Gene's is a very good M60 host and now he is selling the HI/LOW switching rings too.

Putting the OP reflector on the Deerelight just seems to make it kind of generic for me so I tossed that reflector into one of the parts bins.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont like optics.
Learned it quite some time ago.

main critics: no spill
(sure, there is spill, but somehow "all around" the led, while the reflector spill is a wider 2nd "ring" of light around the main beam)

another example, with pics:
both focusing devices are about the same beam degree (~8),
both lights are equally bright,
optic somehow "washes out" with added distance
but main beam stays the same size on both lights
pls ignore the tints, thats what one could get in the Luxeon age.
(sorry, dont have good technical terms)

aqoalr0g85qofq0z8.jpg

PS: the glow-powder sits behind the optic. It is shown in the pic from the front, but does not have any effect on the beam/optic itself.

Forgoten214

Enlightened
i dont like optics.
Learned it quite some time ago.

main critics: no spill
(sure, there is spill, but somehow "all around" the led, while the reflector spill is a wider 2nd "ring" of light around the main beam)

another example, with pics:
both focusing devices are about the same beam degree (~8),
both lights are equally bright,
optic somehow "washes out" with added distance
but main beam stays the same size on both lights
pls ignore the tints, thats what one could get in the Luxeon age.
(sorry, dont have good technical terms)

aqoalr0g85qofq0z8.jpg

PS: the glow-powder sits behind the optic. It is shown in the pic from the front, but does not have any effect on the beam/optic itself.

Interesting. I like the beam on the left better I think.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a comparison between ONE optic and ONE reflector. There are many kinds of each, especially optics, so please don't represent this a judgement in general. That would be incorrect and misleading.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Malkoff M30WF and a Dereelight 3SM. I like the beam of the M30WF better than the Dereelght. It just seems to put out an endless wall of light.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
From what I read, overall(that is, all lights included), optics will have better efficiency then a reflector setup. But as Yellow says, many optics lack spill.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a comparison between ONE optic and ONE reflector. There are many kinds of each, especially optics, so please don't represent this a judgement in general. That would be incorrect and misleading.
correct!
But the fun part is, that one can see that those lights really are equally bright (esp. pic 2) and that the main beam is the same beam degree. And that there is quite a difference at the 4 meters this room is long.

Also, at that time, the NX05 and the Fraen LP were considered the best of all of them available (its one of these 2, not sure which it is. Tending to think NX05),
while the reflector of the Fenix is very far from really good ones, like the ones offered at Sandwich Shoppe f.e.

also I always wonder about that "better efficiency" of optics, while at the same time their habit of illuminating all around the led
like:
ap2ssu5i9tslyk704.jpg

(which is one of these superduper Inova Tiros)
with a reflector, behind its opening there would be no light at all

imho, optic and reflectors are the same efficient.
Reflector looses some 10-20 % of light at reflection surface,
optics their 2 times media transition (5 % each), some % at reflection (where it works like an ordinary reflector, btw.), and that light illuminating everything behind the optic.
With good makes, that evens up, at least thats what I think.

But for sure there might be variations and - even more sure - that topic has been discussed way too much. ;)
Especially some years ago, when - at that time - optics were considered best
(I have long not believed that I might appreciate reflectors, or that they even give a beam on par with quality optics)
Most ppl argueing over that topic now, dont even remember that, just a few years ago, all the led lights featured optics

PS: there have been really interesting results with optics made from optical glass.
Would like to get one of these (for XR-E and for MC-E, please)

Last edited:

jupello

Enlightened
correct!
But the fun part is, that one can see that those lights really are equally bright (esp. pic 2) and that the main beam is the same beam degree. And that there is quite a difference at the 4 meters this room is long.

Cant really tell the brightness of those lights from the picture(s) since both of the beams are fully overexposed. And I would not use them for determining if I prefer reflector/optic, or if another one of them is "better" since they have different beam patterns.. and there are many different reflectors and optics out there.

jupello

Enlightened
:thinking:
both main beams are totally the same, so ...
:thinking:

Well, they don't look that much similar.. another one has clear hotspot with spill around, and another just big hotspot that dims towards the sides little by little. So I'd say there's differences in how tight the main beam is, and how much light is directed there. If the beam & brightness would be the same on both, they would look just the same.