Ultrafire WF 500 defect tailswitch?

TTT

Newly Enlightened
Just got my first light from DX in the mail. For some reason the tailswitch cannot be pressed in, it is completely solid. Is this a common defect, and do I have to send it back to DX? Will probably cost more in shipping from Norway than it costs to order a new one...

I am still waiting for my batteries, so cannot test it. I did put som 3xAA in it which fit, but the batteries where shorted, probably because the light is too big for them.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Your light is not defective. There are two versions of tailcap switches for the WF-500. One is a click switch, the other is a tactical switch. (Meaning, you push on the tailcap switch for momentary-on mode. But you have to twist the switch for constant-on).

Lighthound.com sells both versions of the light.

Looks like DX sent you the one with the tactical tailcap.

BTW, I own a Solarforce L600. Came with the same type of rock-hard switch that you described. These lights are not high-quality pieces. The rock-hard switches might be a common thing. Also, don't use different batteries in your light. It's rated for use with 18650s. Use those. I recommend AW brand 18650s. They are the best. I had two, brand new Ultrafire 18650 cells that never worked at all. I've heard that Ultrafire 18650 cells won't work in some Ultrafire lights.

Lighthound.com sells AW 18650 cells. They cost a bit more, but have an excellent reputation.

fasuto

Enlightened
Just got my first light from DX in the mail. For some reason the tailswitch cannot be pressed in, it is completely solid. Is this a common defect, and do I have to send it back to DX? Will probably cost more in shipping from Norway than it costs to order a new one...

I am still waiting for my batteries, so cannot test it. I did put som 3xAA in it which fit, but the batteries where shorted, probably because the light is too big for them.

I bought a WF-500 from DX recently and have the same switch.
Sometimes the light needs "double twist" for on with trustfire 18650 batteries.

Anyway I think is a good light for the price, with diferent bulb options (Ultrafire, Philips, Lumes Factory or even a cree)

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your tailcap is not defective, its a twisty tailcap much like the Surefire Z41: twist for constant on/push for momentary.

My WF-500 from DX came with a reverse clickie. I'm using AW's protected 18650, which I strongly recommend. Although I've not had any problems using Trustfire protected 18650s, never needed to double click to get the light to fire.

I've just received a Lumens Factory HO-R5 bulb for the WF-500. Its WAY brighter and whiter than the original WF-500 bulb, so much so that I'd love to try it against Grox's Surefire M6 with the HOLA MN21 and see just how close the performance would be to the MN21.

fasuto

Enlightened
I've just received a Lumens Factory HO-R5 bulb for the WF-500. Its WAY brighter and whiter than the original WF-500 bulb, so much so that I'd love to try it against Grox's Surefire M6 with the HOLA MN21 and see just how close the performance would be to the MN21.

I wish to compare it with a Philips bulb

TTT

Newly Enlightened
So what you are saying is that the tailcap has to be slighly unscrewed for the light to be off? Momentary on by pressing immovable button? Sounds clumsy. Damn stupid chinese engineers:) i have not testet it with 18650, still waiting for them. Can't remember which ones i ordered, but getting more shortly. The good ting for me regarding dx and other shops with free shipping is that i can order multiple small shipments to avoid extremely high toll barriers for packages worth more than 40 bucks in norway. Ordering from shops without free shipping is expensive...up to about 200 dollars there is a customs charge of 18 dollars plus 25 percent VAT..above 200 the customs charge is 38 dollars plus 25 percent.. Therefore it is much cheaper to order many in small quantities with free shipping with toll barriers in place.
Your light is not defective. There are two versions of tailcap switches for the WF-500. One is a click switch, the other is a tactical switch. (Meaning, you push on the tailcap switch for momentary-on mode. But you have to twist the switch for constant-on).

Lighthound.com sells both versions of the light.

Looks like DX sent you the one with the tactical tailcap.

BTW, I own a Solarforce L600. Came with the same type of rock-hard switch that you described. These lights are not high-quality pieces. The rock-hard switches might be a common thing. Also, don't use different batteries in your light. It's rated for use with 18650s. Use those. I recommend AW brand 18650s. They are the best. I had two, brand new Ultrafire 18650 cells that never worked at all. I've heard that Ultrafire 18650 cells won't work in some Ultrafire lights.

Lighthound.com sells AW 18650 cells. They cost a bit more, but have an excellent reputation.

fasuto

Enlightened
So what you are saying is that the tailcap has to be slighly unscrewed for the light to be off? Momentary on by pressing immovable button?

Mine works this way. At first I also thought that was defective.
I believe lighthound sells clicky switches for this light

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So what you are saying is that the tailcap has to be slighly unscrewed for the light to be off? Momentary on by pressing immovable button? Sounds clumsy. Damn stupid chinese engineers:) i have not testet it with 18650, still waiting for them. Can't remember which ones i ordered, but getting more shortly. The good ting for me regarding dx and other shops with free shipping is that i can order multiple small shipments to avoid extremely high toll barriers for packages worth more than 40 bucks in norway. Ordering from shops without free shipping is expensive...up to about 200 dollars there is a customs charge of 18 dollars plus 25 percent VAT..above 200 the customs charge is 38 dollars plus 25 percent.. Therefore it is much cheaper to order many in small quantities with free shipping with toll barriers in place.

Yes. If you screw the tailcap down all the way, the light stays on. Unscrew it a bit to turn it off. The button moves.... But it moves ever so slightly downward before the light comes on, that you can't feel the button move. You know the button works when the light comes on. However, the amount of pressure you have to maintain on the button is ridiculous. Do what I do with my L600, only use the twist for constant-on feature. (Not ideal. Especially if you want to use one hand. But it's less of a headache in the long run).

I use the Ultrafire WF-139 charger for my AW 18650s. It's very basic, takes about 5 1/2 hours to charge two nearly depleted 18650 cells. But it works reliably. The Lumens Factory bulb for the WF-500 is an excellent option.

To be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of DX. But I don't want to turn your thread into a DX discussion. The CPFers who are fans of DX will tell you that the best way to make sure you get what you ordered, is to order only 1 item at a time from DX. Want three items from DX? Make three seperate orders. Since shipping is free, it's a good tactic to use.

gallagho

Enlightened
wf500.jpg

Hiya,

Here is a picture of my tailcap (apologies for poor phone pic!)

I have had some success in changing the tailcap function.

When my WF-500 arrived from DX the 'tailcap insert' was fully tightened and the torch only worked as a twisty i.e the button did not work.

However by unscrewing the insert in the direction of the arrows and slightly backing off the whole tailcap when in use, the button will work as a momentary on, and I have the option of permanently on when I tighten the tailcap. Quite good now.

Hope this helps,

Owen

Last edited:

Weanuts

Newly Enlightened
Very good advice re: ordering from DX. I have the same Wf500 Tactical type switch. (???) When pressure is exerted on rubber button at tail of of barrel the cap is plunged forward causing the cap to contact the center section. Very simple switch. When using protected 18650 batteries, firing the filament is not always a first time adventure. If a different "O-Ring is stretched onto center barrel at tail end greater friction is applied to threads and barrel won't turn as easy and light doesn't come to life sometimes when it is set down to rest. I did not like the tactical switch when I first received my torch but, learned to admire it more and more. Dx can't come up with an SKU # but the competition has one available for about $14.00 I have the clicky switch on the same WF500 on another torch and I think I may buying a new switch because of short life expectancy due to battery situation. Hope this helps someone.