Best bathroom light?

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
I just realized that one of the most important flashlight functions during a power-outage is to light up the bathroom.

What would you consider the best light for this purpose?

Obviously the light needs to be waterproof, but other than that I'm not sure of the exact requirements. I'm thinking that important characteristics would be very bright with a natural color of light (for shaving, styling, make-up, etc), long runtime or easy change of batteries. Another concern is how the light is mounted or positioned. In my bathroom there are few places a flashlight can stand, and once it does stand shadows might be a concern, etc. Any tips on cleverly wall-mounted flashlights?

Leds or incandescent?

Kaneda

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest a Lightwave 4000 (=Lucido C10 in europe).
It has a very long runtime and is at least splashproof
(will probably leak if submerged). Should be twice as bright as an Inova X5T.

Kaneda

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
During a recent power outage I found my Arc LS to work great. With the 123 twisty it sits on any flat surface and the light reflects off the ceiling. It easly lit up my bathroom.
Patrick Hayes

Kirk

Enlightened
kimchikungfu,
I have power-failure lights in our bathrooms at home and bring one along when staying in hotels. I could get by at home if I was plunged into darkness, but having the lights go out in a strange hotel bathroom would be spooky. I just have the cheapy little emergency lights that you can find at Wal-Mart or K-Mart. This would give me enough light to get out of the shower and find a "real" flashlight.
Kirk

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of CMG Infinity Ultras on lanyards that I hang around my neck for use at night (going to the bathroom and other tasks). I made the lanyards out of paracord, and used a fisherman's knot, so the lanyard can adjust down to half its original length. Great for hanging around my neck or a variety of different places. If I were to want a light I could set pointing up on the bathroom counter, it would have to be my ARC LSH-P with the 123 twisty endcap.

-Keith

Blikbok

Enlightened
Do we mean "in the shower" lights?
I'd be tempted to leave a Krill light on the countertop rather than dangle something off my neck.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
A PALight setting upright, aimed at the ceiling makes a great bathroom area light. Portable, throw one in your suitcase for travel...

However, we do have and use a 4 D cell GE florescent tube lantern in the bathroom during outages. It's waterproof, floats (not that I'm needing a "floating" lantern in my bathroom!) and really puts out alot of light. These type lanterns are made by several manufacturers.

Mike 161

Newly Enlightened
I have "Tap-Lights" (sometimes called "Moon-Lights") in each room of the house. They put out a reasonable amount of light, run on cheap AA batteries, and are available at most hardware and department stores. In both bathrooms, I have them mounted on the wall (within easy reach from the shower). They work well for me.

Mike

georget98

Enlightened
Something submersible and long enough so if it falls it's retrievable without dunking.

"There are two types of flashlight owners: those whose favorite light has fallen into the loo, and those whose favorite light will fall in."

Brightle Lampkins -- Thomas Edison's plumber

Saaby

Flashaholic
It's not as sexxy as some of the solutions presented here, but I'm going ot have to go with Sigman and suggest the Energizer Folding Flouressent, and/or the folding LED (Depending on the size of yout bathroom)

In a complete darkness situation the folding LED would put off more than enough light. Neither is 100% Waterproof but we've got plenty of high surfaces in our barthroom, high enough it probably won't get accidently bumped into the...er..sink bouncing light off the celing.

If you need a showerlight just use your Arc AAA...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
It's not as sexxy as some of the solutions presented here, but I'm going ot have to go with Sigman and suggest the Energizer Folding Flouressent,...

[/ QUOTE ]

They are excellent, cleverly designed lights that I use to supplement my larger 8xD lanterns.

Brightnorm

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
It's not as sexxy as some of the solutions presented here, but I'm going ot have to go with Sigman and suggest the Energizer Folding Flouressent,...

[/ QUOTE ]
They are excellent, cleverly designed lights that I use to supplement my larger 8xD lanterns. Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
And they are only like $9 or $10 at Walmart!! (well at least in Alaska, I think I saw a post sometime ago that they may be a buck or two cheaper in the continental 48 States?)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was thinking of an Arc-LS with white LED and CR123A battery pack because it's bright and could be set on the bathroom vanity or the cistern lid on its tail. But you'd really have to dig if it fell in the toliet because it's rather small. If you're always knocking small things in the toliet, keep the toliet lid closed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Energizer Folding Lantern might work, but it isn't waterproof, so keep it out of the shower, and for heaven sakes, don't knock it in the toliet.

I'm not aware of any wall-mounted "flashlights" so you might have to make room on the vanity for a light.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
it seems that any good led light that could be easily aimed at the ceiling would do.

i have used a palight set on top of the shower door beam, and it lights up the whole shower nicely.

moved to a shelf next to the vanity provided plenty of light for grooming.

the key, i think, is to bounce the light off the ceiling. gives a nicely dispersed light.

palight, eternalight, energizer led folding lantern, opalec, lightwave...all good!

Bob

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ecopa 5-LED light. Works off four C batteries, and utilizes a light/motion sensor. Wall-mountable, "aimable," and supposedly water resistant for use outdoors. The light stays on as long as it senses movement, otherwise it goes out fairly quickly (about ten seconds). So in a power shortage, be prepared to get to a light source right away, or keep moving in front of the light to keep it on. The range of the sensor is good (in my opinion), and can be adjusted by how you "aim" the light. The light will not go on unless the room/area is dark.

I haven't mounted my lights because I want easy portability, but overall for me, this light functions well. On the downside, this light is relatively expensive, and it is ugly, ugly, ugly!

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone!

Many thanks for all your answers.

WOW! I'm amazed at the wide range of flashlight models and lighting solutions suggested, from $10 Walmart lights to the ubiquitous (and $150) Arc

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Du to the timedifference I didn't see your posts until now, and I'm reading this at work, but I will get back with a summary of your suggestions later today.

Please keep posting!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Actually you can put an Energizer LED light on a wall. The tab thing that folds out of the bottom permits such operation.