Mysterious SOS Mode on NDI

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep my NDI on max (tighten bezel) all the time. Recently, when I turn it on, ocassionally it would go on SOS mode. It'll turn on and then a second later it goes off ... and on, and off ...

I've already cleaned the treads and contacts with deoxit (red) and coated it the deoxit gold. I made sure that the bezel is as tight as it can be. Why is this happening?

d1dd1

Enlightened
Its the Low Battery Warning (only with 14500)

Maybe a contact problem in the switch

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be a condition of poor contact which fakes the light into thinking the battery is low. So you get the low battery warning. Does it happen when the battery is fresh? If so you may still have poor contact or you are hitting the switch too slowly. I read reports where users where making the light go into this mode by slowly pushing the switch.
Give us some more details. There is a lot of information available on this light and a lot of owners here.

Bill

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses. It may be because I'm pushing the switch slowly (i.e., pushing slightly for momentary and then depressing it further for constant). When the "SOS" mode come on, I have to turn off the light and turn it back on and it's gone.

I am using 14500 battery, so let me see if the problem occurs with a freshly charged battery.

At least I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing the SOS.

gary3911

Newly Enlightened
I get it all the time, and also self-turning off after minor impacts. Personally, I have come to believe its because the light sucks.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was doing the same thing until I changed the switch with the replacement
shipped with the light. Since then all is well. My only concern is getting another replacement switch in case this happens again.
:thumbsup:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll reclean the contacts and treads and put in a new battery and see if that happens again. I may also try my eneloop. If the SOS mode still come out, then I"ll change the switch.

You raised a good point, where do you get another aftermarket switch if the spare one goes bye bye?

Mine was doing the same thing until I changed the switch with the replacement
shipped with the light. Since then all is well. My only concern is getting another replacement switch in case this happens again.
:thumbsup:

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I PM Edgetac with this very question and was told that I could get one from my local dealer. In my case this would be TadGear which currently has no Nitecores in stock. Needless to say, I don't have any high aspirations that they would have replacement switches in stock.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought mine from ebay hkequipment ... I doubt they'll even consider shipping a switch all the way from hong kong.

cv3po

Banned
I do not own one but if they include a spare switch with the light it sounds like they think you'll need one. I'll bet swapping it out will fix the problem.................for awhile?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one thinking the low battery warning is a stupid feature? Seems to only give trouble, and I can't use the NDI on LiFePO4 cells because it'll flash all the time.

d1dd1

Enlightened
Yes , low battery warning is useless as most of the available lithium batteries are protected. Maybe nice as a special feature to check the battery status, but not as a general stop of using the flashlight :thumbsdow

I had several problems with too early low battery warnings on Nitecore Defender & Rexlight lights :mad:

Last edited:

Latest posts