arc lshp first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
I got my arc LSHP yesterday and boy am I pleased. I can see how these do well as an edc light. The colors of the ha body match up pretty well and the thing screws together very tightly giving me reassurance of its waterproofness.
The beam on this thing looks like many of the beam shots others have posted here. really bright spot with diamond shaped corona and good spillage to help with up close applications.
I'm still a little gun shy about telling people what these lights cost but I did find a good place to get it from that didn't charge an arm and a leg. www.newgraham.com
[disclamer] I don't work for them but I have bought a lot of stuff from them in the past(mostly knives)and its good to see they're getting into the light market.
If they're is any color in this beam it might be just a tinge of blue around the outside of the beam which I kinda like.I'm real pleased with it so far.
Edited beacause I'm having a non-spelling day

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have ordered an Arc. I haven't tested it -- it just shipped yesterday.

But thanks for the link to newgraham. They show a 2AA clickie at a price that I can pay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe they recieved there stock before Peter decided to make the High Dome Premium available to the dealers. Maybe they'll have them in a couple of months...if they find that there stock is selling nicely.

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
Actually New Graham special ordered my high dome premium for me. So I guess Peter is selling them to dealers now.

draftaman

Newly Enlightened
I got to try it(LSHP) outside last night over at a buddies house who lives even farther 'out of town' than I do. He doesnt have any street lights around his house and there was very little moon out so there was very little ambient light to interfere with the test.
What I found was: I had no problem illuminating dog sized objects at 50 yards and man sized objects at 65 to 70 yards were no problem either. I didnt test it much further than that but needless to say, I'm still impressed with this light. BTW, the LS that came in this light is ranked Q4
which has just the slightest ammount of blue in it. Almost colorless I find that I can't always pick out the blue in it, Only in certain light does it appear anything other than white.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Alright guys, you have to help me with this one. I have an LSH-S, which is I know is a "standard". Is there any real significant differance in light output compared to LSH-P? Differant"Q" rank? Lots of lumins more? I could of bought a "premium", but it would have cost me about $40-$60 more. I paid $85 for my "S" from Frank at Countycomm a while back. Worth extra bucks (almost 50%)?

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are the explanations for the binning code:

Q: Brightest of all the other bins
4: blueish white (1 is green, 2 is greenish white, 3 is pure white, 5 is purple)

Dan

snuffy

Enlightened
logicnerd411:

The LSH-P that I had wasn't marked as to the bin code.
Do you take them apart to find out?
Mine was sealed with what looked like Arctic Silver. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Draftaman,

How do you tell what LED rank you have. The premiums come in either P or Q flux, I just don't remember that Arc specifies which one goes into each light.

CM

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea as to how draftaman got that code, which is usually found in the STAR heatsink board, not the EMITTER. Unless he really got it special ordered... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Peter, have you deprived us of choosing Luxeons? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

pyramus

Newly Enlightened
About a week ago I purchased an ARC LS2 (High dome standard) based on the favorible impressions of my ARC AAA standards and premiums, and also based on member recommendations. I have mixed opinions about the LS2. The clickie is great! However my E1e+KL1 provides me with more of the light that I want(hard to describe). The LS2 is more asthetically pleasing to my hand and pocket and its type III anodization is smoother and shinier than any of my Surefires, a plus! I want this light in my hand! However, due to the performance of the light, I invariability grab my E1e+KL1 whenever I leave for work. I am anxious to see the light from the LSH-P. I am hoping that this light will provide me with the higher quality of light that I seek, higher than that of the E1e+KL1, this is what other members guarantee!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my LSH-P a few days ago and am very pleased with it. It is serial 025 (?!) and the LED is rated Q4J. I know this because it (along with the inspector's initials) is handwritten on a small sticker from the factory attached to the ziploc plastic bag the unit came in. If Q denotes brightness, and 4 denotes color, what does the J stand for?

I would characterize the LSH-P as a medium range light; great brightness and color, and extremely useable corona and overall flood. Probably the best utility mix of focus and overall light. The only way I can picture being disappointed with this light is if you were expecting/hoping for a wide angle flood or a laser. If you don't have one, get one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q = flux bins
4 = color bins
j = Vf bins (this one, it means 3.27 - 3.51 V)

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, shiftd. Now, the big question; In the world of luxeons, is that a good one? Brightest and blue-white I can figure out...

B@rt

Flashaholic
You can find the binning specs here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Luminous Flux of thre "j" type emitters ranges from 6.3LM to 8.2LM .

Hope this helps,

Sproing

Newly Enlightened
My LSH-P also had a rank on the QC sticker when I got it. The one I got before didn't have the "Rank" heading though. I was lucky and got one with a Q3J /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DSAllen, your Q4 luxeon is a very good one. The Q rank is probably the brightest rank for 1W luxeons right now . The high dome luxeons with a "4" color rank are still very white with only a little bit of blue in it. In comparison, I have some low dome luxeons with the "4" color rank and some of them are slightly blue while others are distinctly blue/purple. I think the colors of the high dome luxeons are just more consistent and don't deviate THAT much from pure white even if they are "2" or "4" rank.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok. You're right; the blue is only the slightest tint and unless shining on a flat white surface, is not detectable. Interesting that ARC is now attaching QC tags. As main production luxeons improve, it is probably a marketing point to assure the premium buyer that he got something extra for his $$ and emphasize the additional quality (the serial # does the same thing, emphasizing limited production and implying that it is hand made work of art - which of course it is!). I wonder if the QC tag is on the standards as well. Anyone get one? A clever and inexpensive customer satisfaction and loyalty effort, I must say. Not that it isn't appreciated; I am in the customer loyalty business as it were, and approve of such actions. Well done, Mr. Gransee! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thanks logicnerd411. I saw another thread where flux was related to lumens, with Q flux in the 30-40 lumens area. Does this mean than an LSH-P Q flux could put out 30-40 lumens, while an N flux standard only 15 to 20 or so lumens? If so, then I can see why people pay the big bucks for the Premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.