Replacing a reflector with a Collimator lens ...

cpf

Newly Enlightened
What would be the result/consequence of replacing the reflector, say a OP reflector, of a flashlight with a collimator lens ?

For eg., if I managed to replace the reflector in a Rom RC-G2 with a collimator lens.

The spec for a collimator lens at KD says "Light collection efficiency of >85%". How does that compare to a reflector ?

Thanks.

Bigsy

Enlightened
Efficiency differences are negligible.

However beam patterns can be radically different depending on the output angle of the collimator.

It's a difficult job to fit a one on the G2, the F4 is far easier. Also if it's the 8degree unit on KD your looking at this will be quite a bit more floody than the standard reflector.

IMO the G2 reflector is top class, I wouldn't replace it unless you want flood, but then I would just buy another none turbo head AA and save the G2 for what it's good at, ie one of the best AA throwers.

cpf

Newly Enlightened
No, the RC-G2 is a good looking, well built and cheap FL. I was wondering if I could get a G2 and mod it to be a more general-purpose FL. I use FLs more close up work - for example repairing/tinkering with computers.

I asked about the "Light collection efficiency ... ", because I was wondering if I do manage to replace the reflector with a 8 deg collimator lens if that will make the beam very much dimmer compared to the reflector.

Bigsy

Enlightened
Perceived brightness will be lower obviously.

Just to reiterate; the G2 is completely the wrong choice for this mod because of the turbo head, the G2 reflector is a lot longer than the collimator by about 5>10mm. The head will need chopping down OR the led will need mounting on an extra chunk of metal plus complications associated with that.. driver wires lengthing etc.

The 8 degree collimator at KD taken out of the holder and trimmed a tiny bit is the perfect fit in diameter and length for almost all ~20mm head sized AA and CR123 lights, so its a very easy mod for any of these. Also the RC-F4 which has the same G2 head has a much longer pill that will unscrew this distance for an easy mod, still I'd stick with the normal head sizes for this mod as if you mod a normal ~20mm sized head, you will get exactly the same smooth flood beam but in a much slimmer package.

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might look into a Terralux clip star. It has a really nice work beam....use 3 AAA batt. Bright, but not blinding...does not flash back with too strong a spot.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the best thing you can do for you Rc-G2 is change the driver, and upgrade the LED. It makes a helluva AA thrower once you get past 100lumens.

Crenshaw