Going "green" at death

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the AOL start page and theirs an article about folks choosing basket like coffins to help the planet...makes sense I guess...but wouldn`t my flashlights rust?

dulridge

Enlightened
Looking at the AOL start page and theirs an article about folks choosing basket like coffins to help the planet...makes sense I guess...but wouldn`t my flashlights rust?

:)

Aluminium doesn't rust... Doubt you own any steel flashlights though plenty of older ones were.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope this catches on and like many European countires, graves are just rented for a period of time.
The funeral industry will fight the idea because of the money they make from embalming, huge profit margin coffins and the "required by law" concrete covers used to keep the ground from sinking.

MArk Twain and I have similar opinions of what these F**k*** Body Snatchers do, but I worked for one for a while and know firsthand how slimey most of them are and how much money they make.
In the 70's a man could support a family running a morturary in a small town with an average of one body a month.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greenest thing is probably to get cremated - don't go and hog space you don't need. As I'm functionally oriented (and as Mr. Painter suggests), I'm not inclined to support the funeral industry. Much better to spend the money on a good party with a hosted bar...

Wattnot

Enlightened
Greenest thing is probably to get cremated - don't go and hog space you don't need.

Definite plus one on that one!! What good is decomposing if they can never ever, for the rest of time, use that chunk of space you are occupying. Especially if the future "you's," if that's your thing, are prancing around above it, if there's any room left for prancing. :candle:

mdocod

Flashaholic
greenest thing then would be to buy carbon credits to offset the cremation. And ensure that you are cremated at the highest possible burn temperature on a system with a cat converter exhaust.

(I'm joking, please do not respond to this thread with any political thoughts whatsoever)

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definite plus one on that one!! What good is decomposing if they can never ever, for the rest of time, use that chunk of space you are occupying. Especially if the future "you's," if that's your thing, are prancing around above it, if there's any room left for prancing. :candle:

That's pretty much an American thing. Graves in many countries are just rented for a period of time. "Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him well" - Hamlet, comes from that practice.

My idea of going green would be to transport unembalmed bodies to where the food grows and return the nutrients to the soil.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You cannot get any greener than this. Zero carbon emission, zero space occupied, every bits of your body return to nature in just a few hours. I have a set of photos of an actual burial take place if anybody wants to see it.

Wattnot

Enlightened
You cannot get any greener than this. Zero carbon emission, zero space occupied, every bits of your body return to nature in just a few hours. I have a set of photos of an actual burial take place if anybody wants to see it.

Well they still have to get me to Tibet and haul my fat A$$ up the mountain. I suppose they can strain a few goats but then they'll fart and poop a little extra . . . You can't win, I tell ya, you just can't win.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Scalpel please, not you dont have to disinfect it, just pass that damn thing..."

:laughing:

Crenshaw