Old Kel-lite... What to do

Rocketman223

Newly Enlightened
Just found my old Kel-lite in the garage.:) Sure can fit alot of C cells in there. Give me some suggestions on mods, what would you do?
Thanks
Ed

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of bulbs does it take?

The reflector plastic or aluminum?
The window polycarbonate or glass?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's good, since a metal reflector would be harder to find than a glass window for something out of production.

Potted bulbs give good flexibility, when you consider the bi-pin adapters out there.

Could go find some LSD NiMH C-cells (More than 2500 mAH! Those are just AA cells with spacers!) and make a really, really long running ROP - this would be fairly cheap, and a good starting point.

Alternately, you could get some of AW's lithium C cells, and find some highish-voltage bulb (22.2 for 6 cells, 18.5 for 5 - AW cells are a little longer than normal cells.) - this could be something simply blistering.

BreathingMeat

Newly Enlightened
I need to resurrect this thread...

I, too, just ran across an old 5 x C-cell Kel-Lite while "cleaning" the garage.

Question is: What's the hot ticket for a 7.5V. PR-12 led replacement bulb these days?

(don't need to start fires with it, really more interested in run time)

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

<edit> I'm looking at the Terralux TLE-6EX, but I'm not sure what sort of beam pattern to expect as this drop-in was meant for a variable focus Mag and the Kel-Lite is fixed.

Last edited:

swampgator

Enlightened
You could go with a ROP bulb but at 5 Cells (6V) you wouldn't be overdriving it any, so I'm not sure what the lumen output would be.

Edit: LexLuthor's Bulb Destruction Thread shows 290 lumen for the ROP low bulb & 600 lumen for the ROP high bulb at 6V. However you'd need a high drain rechargeables to handle the current draw.

Last edited:

BreathingMeat

Newly Enlightened
You could go with a ROP bulb but at 5 Cells (6V) you wouldn't be overdriving it any, so I'm not sure what the lumen output would be.

Interesting. Not being a flashaholic, I had to read up on the whole ROP thing. Looks like I'd need to find a 43 or 44mm glass lens from somewhere. Doesn't appear to be a common size. The reflector is metal, so I've got that going for me at least.

<edit> Darn it! Now you got me thinking... What would be the recommended battery type (in a C-cell) for this sort of thing?

Last edited: