Fenix P1D Q5 Visits Sunny COZUMEL, MX

FlashlightPhreak

Enlightened
I´m sitting in Cozumel this minute (wow, what a beautiful day), and last night out on the downtown strip I turned on my natural P1D Q5 for a minute to look at the shoreline...and it almost started a riot among taxi drivers at the TAXI Stand. They couldn´t believe how bright the little Fenix is.... (had recently recharged r123 3.7v installed).

Also, Several nights ago shortly after dark set in, on the ¨high setting¨ my P1D Q5 was aimed at a docked cruise ship approx. 300 yards away, and I managed to get a strong reflection off of the reflective tape on the ships motorized lifeboats -- wow!!!!!!!!!! I thought it was shinning into nowhere, but was wrong.

Lastly:
Travel carry: At DFW airport I placed my watch, keys and two Fenixes into the tray that goes through the xray screening machine... a TSA worker picked up the Q5 and said ¨a small flashlight?¨, I said ¨yes¨, before I could say don´t look into the LED, whammo he got it right into his eyes. Under his breath I could hear a ¨holy s%&!, that´s bright¨. Kind of humerous, but not really.

Until I get back, I´m going to literally play like the TV Corona commercial

Snow

Enlightened
I´m sitting in Cozumel this minute (wow, what a beautiful day), and last night out on the downtown strip I turned on my natural P1D Q5 for a minute to look at the shoreline...and it almost started a riot among taxi drivers at the TAXI Stand. They couldn´t believe how bright the little Fenix is.... (had recently recharged r123 3.7v installed).

Also, Several nights ago shortly after dark set in, on the ¨high setting¨ my P1D Q5 was aimed at a docked cruise ship approx. 300 yards away, and I managed to get a strong reflection off of the reflective tape on the ships motorized lifeboats -- wow!!!!!!!!!! I thought it was shinning into nowhere, but was wrong.

Lastly:
Travel carry: At DFW airport I placed my watch, keys and two Fenixes into the tray that goes through the xray screening machine... a TSA worker picked up the Q5 and said ¨a small flashlight?¨, I said ¨yes¨, before I could say don´t look into the LED, whammo he got it right into his eyes. Under his breath I could hear a ¨holy s%&!, that´s bright¨. Kind of humerous, but not really.

Even though it's evil, I find it hilarious when people pick up a flashlight and point it straight into their eyes to see how bright it is. How dumb can you get?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though it's evil, I find it hilarious when people pick up a flashlight and point it straight into their eyes to see how bright it is. How dumb can you get?

TBH, it's the only way you know with a mini-mag ;)

but yes, I also find it hilarious- my closest friends know to ask before they touch any of my lights now; not for permission, but something along the lines of "is this one safe to use?" :naughty:

husky20

Banned

Lastly:

Great story did any of the taxi drivers see it up close?

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love it! Some people are so stupid and still do it even when they have been warned. :shakehead

m13a8

Newly Enlightened
I did this with my first high powered light, my Surefire G2 right after I got it working :p. I guess that was one I had to learn the hard way.

2manybikes

Newly Enlightened
I love it! Some people are so stupid and still do it even when they have been warned. :shakehead

--------------------------------------------------------------------
-Warning-

Do not look into the light again with the remaning good eye.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

FlashlightPhreak

Enlightened
Just got back from a tasty meal at a local Cozumel hole-in-the-wall, yum.... getting ready to check out the sunset...after this email from hotel lobby wireless.

Yes, the Taxi drivers all stand around the various taxi waiting areas along the main drag, and about four to five drivers looked at the light and let one of them hold it. They wanted to know what king of battery it uses - and no one had ever heard of the r123 3.7volts, so I downplayed it...

It was really cool hearing them cheer when the light was shined around the shoreline!!!! Kinda makes me feel good to know my LED was a real hit with these guys who work hard for a living...

Over and out for now.

Gado

Newly Enlightened
Cool story, From what i remember when I was there, half of the island doesn't have any power. Sounds like a good vacation for a flashaholic.

FlashlightPhreak

Enlightened
Too late for going to Babe´s, as wife and I took the UltraMar ferry to Playa de Carmen this past Friday. Beautiful beach etc....& very nice town and people...

As for Cozumel, only a small portion of the total land mass of the island is populated... Hired a taxi to take us to the other side of the island which has a rocky and awesome beach. I´m told locals go to mostly unihabited side on Sundays to relax and party on the coastal beaches. YEAH, you could say this is a good place to use your EDC led´s!

Also, as today is Sunday, most shops are closed and local folks are out and about with their families enjoying the day. Kind of cool to see this scene, as folks who come here by crusie ships (which visit CZ everyday except Sunday) do not get to see this totally different venue enjoying their town with very few tourists here on Sundays...

Saiga

Enlightened
Dude,i got nothing useful to add, but couldn't help myself. I lived on Cozumel for about 13 years, i was a dive instructor at Micheles dive shop,Pro-dive, DIMI, Scuba-Tours,etc. Used to race bicycles there for a couple years,too.
Lots of those psychopathic taxistas are my racing compadres !!!
Careful, they WILL kill ya !!
I remember when there was only ONE cruise ship pier.Later,there were days when we had 15 boats in town !! What a nightmare !!
Right now, i'm yacht sitting in Roatan,Honduras, on a boat that used to be kept in Cozumel !! ( that's where i first started this gig).
We also had a blazing,blue sky day,so i scrubbed the tender and opened all the hatches (trying to at least LOOK busy) . I went out a few minutes ago to close everything up, and shined my Surefire E1L around the mangroves !!! LOTS less light pollution here than where you're at !!! ( long as you don't count the friggin' MOON !!! )
BTW, i can't help but wonder where your "hole in the wall...tasty meal" came from. Could it have been " La Choza "? (Grass roof,on the corner of 10th and Rosado Salas, exactly two blocks up from the water-front?)
Well, i've thread hi-jacked enough ( or have I ?? )......have fun...M.
P.S. just to help keep you from looking like a tourist, it's pronounced COzumel ( like CO-pilot, not like KAH- zumel).

Last edited:

kland1234

Newly Enlightened
Don't know about thread hijackin; but we will be in Cozumel this summer too, and I would love to hear the hot spots, keep em comin! Will be carrying my EDC too, I can taste the margaritas already!..

kbb

Saiga

Enlightened
Ok,bro......first..DON'T listen to your miserable,lying cruise ship people bout where to go and not to go. They're a bunch of extortionists !!! ( some of them have jumped ship and been friends of mine, so i KNOW how they operate). The cruise ship corporations are some of the biggest planet rapers on the,uh, planet.They'll happily sell you a jungle tour or dive trip for THREE TIMES what you can get it for by just walking down the street. They make it sound like they personally check out the quality and ethics of every operation on the island.They only shake down said operations for HUGE money in order to endorse them to the "over-fed,newly-wed,or almost-dead", as the old saying about cruise shippers,goes.
Another thing......stay away from stupid,tourist,hell-holes like Carlos and Charlies !! I mean, if it's crammed full of obnoxious,drunken clowns before noon, do you REALLY wanna hang out there ? Whata ya gonna do,get a T-shirt says you been to Carlos & Charlies ? What a bunch O' losers !! Take a walk, use your own judgement. Contrary to what the Carnival/ Norwegian parasites will tell you,you can walk 15 blocks back from the waterfront, at midnight, drunk off your ***, with your wallet in your hand, and i can almost guarantee you'll be fine.All of the silver you'll find in the shops that are NOT on their OK list, is exactly the same as the silver from the stores that are on it !!
Anyway, Big Al is probably still running Pizza Prima, one of the islands must-eat restaraunts.Prices have gone up as portions went down, but still a happy grind. Also, another higher price/lower portion joint, but "Rolandis" is really nice.Don''t forget "La Choza", and tip the boys well, they's all buds O' mine !!! Also, check out "the french quarter", run by a guy and his son from, you guessed it......
That's all that occurs to me.... plus my drink is down to ice shavings....nos vemos,cabrones !!!!!!! :twothumbs

geek4christ

Enlightened

My sister did the exact thing this weekend with my IncenDio. She was warned, but curiosity got the best of her. I kind of felt bad, because she is only three and telling a three year old "don't shine it in your eyes" is practically inviting them to see what it feels like when shined in their eyes.

...I'm not suggesting any correlation between the behavior of my three-year-old sister and the TSA guy mentioned in the OP, though :whistle:

lmychajluk

Newly Enlightened
Slightly OT, but years ago, just after 9/11, my roommate at the time was on a business trip. He had a presentation, and so had a portable tabletop projector with him. Well, the TSA worker at the airport security checkpoint just had to make sure it was a real projector, and not a bazooka or something in disguise, so she made him take it out of the case, set it up, plug it in, and then proceeded to look straight into the lens while telling him to turn it on. He tried to warn her away a few times, but she became indignant, and it basically got to the point where she was saying "Respect my authority and turn the thing on!", to which my roommate finally obliged. She was probably blinded for the rest of the day.

Also, regardless of what she thought it may have been, I don't see the logic in sticking your face up to what would seem like the business end of whatever it may be while turning it 'on'. I mean, what if it wasn't a projector?