Cruise ships and flashlights

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going on a cruise soon.

Any tips and suggestion with regards to flashlights? What to bring, what not to bring? What places, events, occasions on the ship that flashlights would be good for or just plain fun to use? Any precautions, and dangers of flashlight confiscation/loss?

If you have first hand experiences (good and bad) on a cruise ship with your flashlight, please share.

Thanks.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Going on a cruise soon.

Any tips and suggestion with regards to flashlights? What to bring, what not to bring? What places, events, occasions on the ship that flashlights would be good for or just plain fun to use? Any precautions, and dangers of flashlight confiscation/loss?

If you have first hand experiences (good and bad) on a cruise ship with your flashlight, please share.

Thanks.

Funny you should mention that.

I was just on a cruise, and due to some interesting circumstances (I found drug paraphernalia in my cabin on the first day of the cruise), security was 'forced' to overturn my cabin, rifle through my clothing, et al. I had a Surefire 6PL with a Leef Grip, McClicky, and a BOG Q5 on me, and the security had minimags. Disgusted (about not only their lack of lumens, but the situation in general) I gave them my light to assist their ruining of my vacation. Turns out, one of the security guys went into the bathroom to check out the toilet, and was in there using the momentary on/off of the clicky and staring at how bright it was, for 2 minutes.

Long story short - check your cabin; if you find anything illegal, throw it overboard (screw MARPOL). Oh yeah... have fun... sort of.

:twothumbs

(needless to say, that's the heavily abridged version of what transpired)

Oh right, most cruises will confiscate any knife you have on you, regardless of your status (diver, EMT, etc). 'Safety precautions.' Your lights will be fine (though, truthfully, you won't have much a need for one - cruise ships are very well lit especially at night).

Last edited:

Lumenz

Enlightened
Cruise ships are pretty tolerant about flashlights/knives. I carried my Fenix P2D and my Benchmade Mini Griptillian all over the Carnival cruise ship. The only time I had a problem was when I was getting back onto the ship after roaming around Mexico and one of the cruise guys pulls me aside and told me to keep my knife hidden the next time I am in Mexico or else one of the federales would take it and make me buy it back.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Cruise ships are pretty tolerant about flashlights/knives. I carried my Fenix P2D and my Benchmade Mini Griptillian all over the Carnival cruise ship. The only time I had a problem was when I was getting back onto the ship after roaming around Mexico and one of the cruise guys pulls me aside and told me to keep my knife hidden the next time I am in Mexico or else one of the federales would take it and make me buy it back.

Hrrrm.... I had to go through metal detectors getting back onto my ships, having been on NCL, Princess and Holland America none of them were tolerant at all to knives.

craig333

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, no knives. I wish I'd brought a flashlight. If you're like me and wander into every nook and cranny of the ship ( but not places that say restricted access (but by the way, its funny how you can into restricted access areas by going a roundabout way, they sometimes forget to a post a few doors they don't think a passenger might use) or dangerous areas) you will find areas your flashlight comes in handy. Knowing how they are I'd have probably just stuck with my P1D or Proton Pro. Don't want to stick out too much.

knightrider

Enlightened
No knives on cruises?

Looks like another form of transportation/entertainment I'll be avoiding.

America has really wussed out lately. I love the fear we've embrassed as a country. Things can only get better! :green:

Lumenz

Enlightened
Hrrrm.... I had to go through metal detectors getting back onto my ships, having been on NCL, Princess and Holland America none of them were tolerant at all to knives.

On Carnival, they allow blades that are under 4" in length. The mini-Griptillian is under 4" so it passed. I have only been on Carnival so I can only speak for their policy.

To get back on topic... the only reason I can see them not allowing you to bring a flashlight aboard is if it looked like a weapon (i.e. had a crenelated bezel).

Mdinana

Enlightened
Ditto the strobe. Also maybe keep a whistle in your pocket, just in case.

I've never had a problem with a knife on a ship. But... last cruise was in August 2001, and I can't speak for what changes were brought about the following month.

If you feel totally naked without a knife, either A) get one of the nylon/plastic knives, like the old OSS knife, or B) keep something on a keychain - either a SAK classic, or maybe one of the Swiss Gear key-looking tools (most Eddie Bauer shops at the mall carry them). Worst case scenario, take a scalpel blade on your belt behind the buckle.

GPB

Enlightened
Your life jacket will have a stobe light on the shoulder that is activated when it gets wet, so the odds of needing your life jacket are tiny, but if you do, it'll have a light on it. Each lifeboat has lights in them as well as spare batteries also.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Gee . . . .

If they don't permit flashlights on board,

then they certainly don't need ME as a passenger.

:shakehead

_

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
why its important to have a light even if your life vest has one..

http://www.equipped.org/1199ditch.htm

Reese noted, "Without the night-vision goggles, it would have been impossible to see (the lights). We thought they were the plane's wing-tip lights. We went down as low as we could, but we still couldn't tell what we were looking at. Even flying in the daytime, seeing a person in the water is hard. We thought if it was a person, they'd be waiving the lights, but they looked like they weren't moving."
the lights he is refering to is the emergency locator ones on the life vest

Crenshaw

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
No knives on cruises?

Looks like another form of transportation/entertainment I'll be avoiding.

America has really wussed out lately. I love the fear we've embrassed as a country. Things can only get better! :green:

Yeah - that was my though - sigh.

rico

Newly Enlightened
Went I went on my cruise I brought my L4 and E1L. At night I was at the bow of the ship where they had the helipad. That area of the ship was not lighted at ALL, and it was quite possibly the darkest conditions I've ever been in. Truthfully, It was rather frightening to shine my light over the rail and illuminate absolutely nothing. Try it when you are at sea, lots of fun! I was riding the Mariner of the Seas from Royal Carribean.

GPB

Enlightened
They keep the bow of the ship intentionally dark so that it doesn't mess up the night vision of the crew on the bridge. It is usually off limits to passengers and most employees since the possibility of injury is higher when its so dark.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only done one cruise, NCL for Alaska last May. Anticipating security issues, took only a couple of throw away knives and multitools in my checked baggage. Had no problems getting back aboard with either when returning from the Alaska ports.

GPB

Enlightened
They can't be too picky about knives....the dining rooms gives them to everyone at dinner. Until it happens, cruise ship hijacking is going to be pretty low on Homeland Security's radar.

It is a remarkably safe way to travel when you consider the millions of people who take cruises every year and the relatively few incidents that you hear about.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
why its important to have a light even if your life vest has one..

http://www.equipped.org/1199ditch.htm

the lights he is refering to is the emergency locator ones on the life vest

Crenshaw

That was a serious story. Although long, it did teach many lessons. This is a story that everyone should pass on to their friends to read. Thank you for sharing this with us. :wow: