?? A P7 in a single 123 light ??

Raymond

Enlightened
isn't the P7 a 10W led?

That means you have to find a 123 battery that's capable of a 6C discharge, which would give a whopping 10 minutes of runtime.

You could of course run the P7@100mA, but I doubt it would be more efficient than a single P4 at 400mA.

TMorita

Enlightened
isn't the P7 a 10W led?

That means you have to find a 123 battery that's capable of a 6C discharge, which would give a whopping 10 minutes of runtime.

You could of course run the P7@100mA, but I doubt it would be more efficient than a single P4 at 400mA.

The dies in a P7 are connected in parallel, not series. So you mean "P7 @ 400ma".

I think it would probably be more efficient. If you look at jtr1962's lumen testing thread, the 20ma 5mm LEDs reach peak efficiency at about 25% of their rated current:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/89607

So four underdriven dies may be brighter than a single die at the same current, as long as current level isn't on the left side of the peak efficiency range.

Toshi

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Does it exist? Will it? Is it even possible?

I've currently got one running off a R123 & a TriFlupic in the meantime that I finished last night. Will run a 17670 later.

It's not running at it's full potential brightness but it is bright. Gets very hot on high. Strobe hurts my eyes & is very annoying! Runtime is very short with the R123 & the high discharge rate when on high is probably not good for the cell.

As for what host it is in, that's a secret right now. I will post about it soon though. :grin2:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Got one in a Pierce M10/tri-flupic I built a couple weeks ago (totally awesome pocket flood), search for "Micro mega mule". I'd paste a link but can't from an iPhone.

~Chip

Nice! I put a P7 & TriFlupic in an Arc LS with a reflector. It's been my EDC for a few days now. Will post it up soon.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't have to run the P7 at 2.8A.
A CR123A will be happy providing 700 mA for an hour. At 700 mA (175 mA per die) the P7 should still put out over 200 lumens. A Fenix P1-CE sized light that can match a TK10 in overall output. (The TK10 will kill the P1-P7 in throw though).

Just swapping a P7 into a P1-Q5 won't work as the the Q5 is not driven that hard (~300 mA) and is still very efficient. I estimate going from 90 lumens to 105 lumens and loosing throw, not worth it.

Last edited: