HDS 100 Flashlights

flashlightsnlasers

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered two HDS 100 flashlights tonight it was a tough decision between the novatac 120p or the HDS 100 I heard good things about the Novatac lights but read that the workmanship on the HDS may be slightly better...I did note that HDS do come with a glass lens as opposed to polycarbonate which I liked for scratch resistance,also ordered a lion battery charger with batteries especially for a single cell flashlight which I heard they work pretty well in...any input on the HDS RA Twistys,thank you in advance for your opinions.

flashlightsnlasers

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link...I wonder how long these things take to ship,I know that they are on backorder at Battery Station...oh well I guess the good stuff is worth waiting for...these do look and sound cool.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several comments

The twisty vs switch operated light thing. The HDS requires two hands to operate.
You will wait for a month or two to receive the HDS light.
If you were to order a NovaTac light you would receive it within a week.

The Novatac is brighter.
The polycarbonate lens in the Novatac is replaceable.
The polycarbonate lens is much less likely to become destroyed by impact than any glass lens.
Good luck. Have fun waiting and then have fun with the new light.
Yaesumofo

Thanks for the link...I wonder how long these things take to ship,I know that they are on backorder at Battery Station...oh well I guess the good stuff is worth waiting for...these do look and sound cool.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
Several comments

The twisty vs switch operated light thing. The HDS requires two hands to operate.
You will wait for a month or two to receive the HDS light.
If you were to order a NovaTac light you would receive it within a week.

The Novatac is brighter.
The polycarbonate lens in the Novatac is replaceable.
The polycarbonate lens is much less likely to become destroyed by impact than any glass lens.
Good luck. Have fun waiting and then have fun with the new light.
Yaesumofo

The Twisty glass lens is also replaceable. Flashlight Lens even has the glass lens with diffusion film applied (I've got two in waiting for my Twisty which is scheduled to arrive 4-22-08!!).

With the cushioning of the glass lens in the Twisty, the only way to damage the lens would be to drop the light lens first onto a steel spike. Given the danger of up pointing spikes, this is not too likely to happen.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just me or does every post yaesumofo makes on this or any HDS related thread seem to be to rag on Henry??? I personally love my HDS lights and am willing to wait for something that is in my opinion well worth it. We all have a choice and I respect everyones opinion. However, I can't recall a positive post that yaesumofo has made regarding HDS products. Bottom line, if you don't like them then don't buy them.
:scowl:

mraymer

Newly Enlightened
Normally I might agree, but everything he said is the truth. Not biased or flaming, just honesty. Whether or not you like what he said is a matter of personal opinion, but nothing he said goes against known facts. You will most likely wait a month or two to get the new Ra Twisty as they're busy now filling back orders and it does require two hands to operate from the few reviews I've read. The Novatac is brighter, 120 vs 100. He did tell the OP to have fun with his new light. I don't see where he was ragging on Henry or HDS, just listing pros and cons.

Is it just me or does every post yaesumofo makes on this or any HDS related thread seem to be to rag on Henry??? I personally love my HDS lights and am willing to wait for something that is in my opinion well worth it. We all have a choice and I respect everyones opinion. However, I can't recall a positive post that yaesumofo has made regarding HDS products. Bottom line, if you don't like them then don't buy them.
:scowl:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
He does seem to favor novatac over hds.But we all have our opinion.As for me I'm a hds fan and you will never get me to change.I have talked to Henry several times and if anyone has a problem with Henry than you got a problem.Yes he may not do things how WE would like them to be done but he stands behind his stuff and after all it is his business.

Russki

Enlightened
Here are my comments:
Novatac is Henrys light, it is complete copy of HDS with some software update.
I only bought Novatac, because it was Henrys new generation HDS.
Novatac lights got problems, "Novatac" not solved them, and will not solve them,
probably because they don't care, or "Creator" of light no longer work for them.
I will not buy another Novatac.
And I will buy more of Henrys lights.
We all got our opinions, right.
Cheers

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys have dragged this way off topic.
I happen to own 4 or 5 HDS EDC flashlights.
I like them fine. Henry's lights are well made.
The Ra is likely No different.
I prefer a light that does NOT require two hands to operate.
Unlike a couple of posters in this thread I simply did what the OP asked which was to give input.
I did just that.
In future if you have a problem with a post I make please don't clutter up the thread just PM me your feelings and we can hash things out man to man.
'I apologize to the OP for the off topic nonsense I caused (apparently) On your thread.
Yaesumofo

BytorJr

Newly Enlightened
I'd rather have that glass lens. My Novatac scratched first day I put it in my pocket. I also don't seem to be able to break open the Novatac, despite all the "tricks" posted. My Novatac flickers on anything below about 40 lumens. However, tint is great.

I can't say I'm enthused about the purple reports of the Ra Twisty, all else sounds good.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
I'd rather have that glass lens. My Novatac scratched first day I put it in my pocket. I also don't seem to be able to break open the Novatac, despite all the "tricks" posted. My Novatac flickers on anything below about 40 lumens. However, tint is great.

I can't say I'm enthused about the purple reports of the Ra Twisty, all else sounds good.

Tint is probably partly dependant on if you get the 70 or 100 as each uses a different led - hopefully, enough people get them in their hands soon to come up with an idea of which is less purple. I believe the 70's use Golden Dragons and the 100's use P4's. Of course, Henry has stated several times that he will not advertise any specific emmiter so that he can more easily change when a better led is released.

I'm really curious as to how long some of the longer running (more efficient led) Twistys last. I'll be posting current usage when I get mine since that will be a much easier way to compare them than trying to figure the run time before the light output steps down.

DM51

Flashaholic
senna94, you were out of line there in your post #6. If you have a disagreement with a post, that is one thing, and of coiurse you are entitled to disagree; but personally attacking the person who posted it is quite another matter, and is not allowed.

I have read yaesumofo's post #4, and I can see nothing contentious or inaccurate in it. He was giving his input, as invited by the OP. If you disagree with what he says there, by all means say so. But do not make it personal and make a wholesale scattergun attack on his general attitude.

You have been here long enough to know all that. Please do NOT do it again.

Back on topic please...