Help: NDI Switch Problem

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the switch for my NDI is going bad. When I try turning the light off, sometimes I have to click two or three times. I could hear the click, but it is not responding.

I'm trying to replace the switch with the spare. But the only thing is, I can't get the switch out of the tailcap. I could see that there are two holes in the tailcap, but I can't seem to twist it out. How do you do it?

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
A small pair of medical forceps works better than tweezers, I find. They are much more tolerant of the torsion involved ( I know, I know, big words this early in the day!) Try and get the curved Kelly forceps, also sold in fishing outlets for removing fish hooks and tying complicated knots.

Hope you like everything else about your NDI.

Be lucky...

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I tried using a needlenose, but my needlenose was a tad big. It seemed a bit tight, so I'll give it another shot after buying a smaller needlenose. I just wanted to make sure it does come off and it's not loctite or anything.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just used small needlenoses as well. It should come out by turning couter-clockwise as you would normally for loosening something. I took mine out to replace the stock rubber boot with a GITD one.

sixfellas

Newly Enlightened
I have the same issue, but unfortunately I'm already on my SECOND switch. anyone know where to get a better switch for this light?

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I contacted EdgeTac about getting another spare. They told me to contact my retailer ... who happened to be hkequipment (bought it over ebay). I doubt hkequipment will take the effort to send me an extra spare. I've already contacted them last night, and i haven't heard back from them. I'll give them a few more days.

I love my NDI, but I'm having some minor issues, which I tolerate, but they could get annoying from time to time.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the best bet is to find one in the marketplace.

It's unfortunate that I'm having a few problems with my NDI. I guess I have to treat it like the way my parents treat me ... despite all the flaws, I still love it. :laughing:

yalskey

Enlightened
I had all kinds of problems like that with my NDI. Somebody on CPF bought it from me (knowing about the problem in advance) and they had to send it back to get it fixed / replaced.

Never could get it to work. Plus, the thing was a LOT dimmer than I expected.

Everyone says how great NDI's are, but I was never impressed one bit.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a bit of issues with the UI. Sometimes it would go on SOS mode (I tried cleaning the treads, contact, replace with fresh battery, etc), sometimes when I switch from max to user-defined mode, it would go to strobe for a couple of seconds and then go to user-defined mode. (I turned the bezel quickly and more than enough turn), sometimes my user-defined mode resets itself to near max setting (I had mine set pretty low). My switch is starting to fail on me ... so yeah, I've had a few issues. Maybe I'm a bit easy to satisfied, but I just accept it for what it is and don't let it bother me. A lot of people have high expecations especially for spending so much for a light, but I'm not going to complain about since none of my issues are un-fixable.

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened
Hey xcel730,

I am having the same issues as you regarding the strobing when I don't want it to, the switch, resetting to high on the user-defined mode even though I have set it at the lowest setting.

Other than all that, it's still a great light and I might be getting another one from hkequipment soon (and a Jetbeam-1 Pro)

What can we do??? Is it a matter of constantly cleaning/lubbing the head?

sixfellas

Newly Enlightened
I was really hoping for a light that could be depended on in WITHOUT FAIL in a narrow 1 X AA or 14500 form. Unfortunately this might not be it. I really would like to find a better switch. Anyone have any other options in this "thin" format?

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad at least I'm not the only one encountering the same issues :D

I think if it bothers me enough, I may eventually send it in to EdgeTac for warranty servicing. That's assuming after a few months they get all the issues ironed out.

I wonder if you and I are having the same issues because we both got it from hkequipment.

Hey xcel730,

I am having the same issues as you regarding the strobing when I don't want it to, the switch, resetting to high on the user-defined mode even though I have set it at the lowest setting.

Other than all that, it's still a great light and I might be getting another one from hkequipment soon (and a Jetbeam-1 Pro)

What can we do??? Is it a matter of constantly cleaning/lubbing the head?

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened
I actually got mine from scopeandlaser on ebay.

I was going to get another one from hkequipment because (from all the other posts) even though the shipping is slower, seems like less problems than from scopeandlaser (thread issues or something)

And hkequipment had a Jetbeam Pro-I that I wanted also.

Anyway, will have another play around tonight.

I did put in a new battery last night and it seemed to work without issues. Don't know whether that has anything to do with it? (I didn't get the low battery warning on the previous battery but just wanted to put a fresh one in anyway)

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you guys with problems using DeoxIt or DexoIt Gold on your contacts? Especially on the Pos+ & Neg- battery terminals. As sensitive as the NDI is to contact/voltage sensing for modes and ramping, that could be part of your problems. I use the DeoxIt on all contact surfaces and have no problems like you describe. Just a thought.

The switch is different issue though.

werdnawee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Lite Me,

Yep, I have both DeoxIt or DexoIt Gold so I thought it might just be a matter of having to clean/lube regularly.

I did notice that when the threads are smooth, the lighting problems didn't seem to appear.

BTW, is DexoIt Gold only useful for gold contacts? :shrug:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
DeoxIt Gold works on many metals. From this links here..

DeoxIT® GOLD (formerly ProGold), is a unique conditioning solution that improves conductivity and provides long-lasting protection on gold, base metals and other precious metal contacts and connections (gold, silver, rhodium, copper, bronze, nickel, etc.).

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I reckon the crappy little switch is the single biggest detractor from the NDI. Lots of people seem to be having problems. It really irritates me the way the light steps through multiple brightness levels as the switch is pressed. I've got the same behaviour out of 4 switches. Shame a 50cent switch can affect the enjoyment of a $70 torch.

I was so annoyed I thought about forgoing tactical operation altogether and swapping in a reverse clickie from one of my fenixes, but unfortunately the fenix switch is just a few mm too wide.

I'm going to look around a few electronics shops to see what I can find.

EDGETAC

Newly Enlightened
I think the switch for my NDI is going bad. When I try turning the light off, sometimes I have to click two or three times. I could hear the click, but it is not responding.

I'm trying to replace the switch with the spare. But the only thing is, I can't get the switch out of the tailcap. I could see that there are two holes in the tailcap, but I can't seem to twist it out. How do you do it?

Dear xcel730,

Hi!
As to replacing the switch mechanism, just use a tweezer/forcep to stick into the two holes of the metal board, and screw it in counter-clockwise direction, and then you will be able to get the old switch out and set the new one in, then screw the metal back in the tail cap, hope it's clear. :)

If you could not get in contact with the HK dealer, please let me know, we will always be of support in solving this for you, just let us know, thank you!

To other NiteCore D-I users here,

Thanks for choosing NiteCore D-I, if you encounter any of the quality problem or related issues, please do not hesitate to let us know, or contact local disributors, we are happy to provide any warranty service needed for you, thanks!:) Hope you enjoy the light.

Best Regards,
EDGE TAC