m*g85 VS ssc P7.....what is better (for me) ?

Nos

Enlightened
hi guys, i guess its time for another incan vs led discussion. but lets keep focused on the topic :sssh:

im looking for a mag based ~1k lumen light,but now that SSC came up with P7 i cant decide which one i should build.... I REALLY CANT!

maybe you guys can help me which one to choose. important points for me are mainly the price, fokus ability, and size ( 1185 in a 2D? )

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope. That's not the challenge.

The REAL challenge is to design and build a torch with BOTH a 1185 AND a P7 on at once. With 3-cree and 4-cree heads no commonplace, it must be theoretically possible.

That's what I want to see. Two thousand lumens, baby.

Then every discussion about relative brightness, tint, depth of field becomes purely academic.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi guys, i guess its time for another incan vs led discussion. but lets keep focused on the topic :sssh:

im looking for a mag based ~1k lumen light,but now that SSC came up with P7 i cant decide which one i should build.... I REALLY CANT!

maybe you guys can help me which one to choose. important points for me are mainly the price, fokus ability, and size ( 1185 in a 2D? )

you can focus a mag85 (I don't know SSC)...

price should be about the same (I think)

size? don't know which are configurations for a SSC but you can have a mag85 in 1,5D with a cut down tri-bore body and a 9 X 2/3A battery pack...

DM51

Flashaholic
Very good topic, and as the OP says, let's be sure to keep it civil.

Have a look at plasmaman's P7 Shortie, which he posted yesterday. It is very neat indeed. Powered by 1x 'D' Li-Ion, it rivals a small Mag85 running off 3x17670s.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would stick to the magnificent Mag85. It is a straight part-swap modification and has been very well tested. For colour rendition and throw, incandescent is the way to go. My understanding is that the SSC P7 is a 4-die emitter. Having a large radiating area, this is difficult to focus in all but aspherics.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

You coudl do the 1185 in a 3C, with 3xAW C-Cells and an extender. Or a 4C with 3 18650s. Or a 4C with 3x Emoli cells (26700s). The C or Emoli builds should run about an hour. The 18650 build should run about 35 minutes, and that would also be your absolute cheapest option.

18650 pricing:
$20 for a 4C
$10 for 2 1185 bulbs
$12 for Kiu Bipin bulb socket OR $10-30 for PR adapter (to retain focusability)*
$15-30 for reflector (Kai, or Fivemega)
$2-6 for glass (plain, or AR coated)
$15-30 for 18650s (BrandX or AW)

can be accomplished for <$100
*I recommend Kiu. It will be more heat tolerant, lower resistance, more reliable. If you want focusability, don't even do a Mag 85, build a 2C ROP-Hi with AW C Cells, as that is PR based.

C-Cells:
$12 Extender
$70 Cells

about $50 more, smaller host, longer runtime

Emolis:
$48 for cells

about $20 more than base, 4C host, simialr runtime to AW (less nominal capacity mad up for by less sag under load)

Theroetically, you could run the P7 in a cutdown ONE C mag, with a tailswitch instead of a side switch, and similar runtime (due to efficiency difference between incan and LED. That's the smallest possible "mag" host you could run. Or you could run a 2C with one Emoli in direct drive. I know someone else recently did one in a cutdown One-D, running Kaidomain LiIon D-Cell, as well.

Last edited:

Supernam

Enlightened
The P7 in a Mag can be focused.

It doesn't have a donut in the beam with textured reflectors.

Obviously, no filament to break. Bulbs go all the time with high powered hotwires.

Simple battery configuration- 3 C or D NiMh's will do the trick

How's 2+ hours of runtime sound to you?

Nos

Enlightened
2 hours should be enought ^^, thanks for the input so far.....hmmm i have to think about about the rop-hi :thinking:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 hours should be enought ^^, thanks for the input so far.....hmmm i have to think about about the rop-hi :thinking:

Don't even think about it, just do it. As long as you use high-quality components and good cells, you will wonder why you ever had to think about it in the first place. I have a ROP-Hi, and it is absolutely ideal if you need to light up an area the size of a football field. Being rechargeable, it sees alot of use too.

To make life easy, here is what I used...

Pelican bulb set
Borofloat (Pyrex) glass window
Sanyo Eneloop cells (pick any supplier really)
Aluminium Reflector (currently out of production)
6AA > 2D battery holder

Last edited:

Supernam

Enlightened
To make the decision easier for you... I have a P7 Mag sitting here waiting for someone to take it off my hands. It's so... bright, beautiful, EFFICIENT, and sexy. :crackup:

Latest posts