eBay woes... any ideas?

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
I know we've got a lot of eBay users, so maybe someone can offer some advice on dealing with buyers who back out. I just sold my old Torino on eBay. I went the eBay route because it's been off the road for a year (no reg or insurance), so I can't give test drives (which a local buyer would want). It's got a sweet motor with lots of hi perf parts, but the body is rusting, so I thought I could hook up with someone looking for a resto project or good parts for a classic Mustang. The "winning bidder" was a new user and had zero feedback. Now he's claiming he can't pay for another week or two. This car sold cheap, and my requirements on this auction were a $500 PayPal deposit within 48 hours. $500.00 isn't a lot when buying a car, so I doubt this guy will come through, plus he's got to ship the car out of state.

I'm considering relisting and trying again, but this jerk just cost me time and money. I contacted eBay, but they like to reply with form letters and don't appear to be much help. Anyone ever take any action against a fraudster, or it is just not worth the trouble??

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look for new listing for a "parted" hi-performance Mustang... He might be "ebaying"/parting your car out--and plans to pay you back when he has sold enough parts.

-Bill :tinfoil:

nbp

Flashaholic
And include in your next auction that to bid, people need X amount of positive feedback, and if they don't have it, they will need to email you first or their bid will not be accepted.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
As mentioned remember the old saying buy the seller, well it is just as important to "buy" the buyer. Block anyone below a certain rating and if you for whatever reason you want Paypal only block non-paypal account holders.

Paypal does, no matter what some may say, give you some added measure of security and recourse. I have had to use it twice and gotten my money back both times when the seller tried to screw me. Others may have different experiences, but mine have been positive.

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice. If I end up relisting, I'll definitely take your suggestions and set some restrictions. I mistakenly thought I could rely on bidders to be honest and use common sense... :ohgeez:

I've had this car for 20+ years, and before that it was my grandfather's (he bought it new). I really should have sold this car 10 years ago, while it was in better shape. I dumped a ton of $$$ into the engine and always said I'd finish the restoration.... Of course the rusting never stopped. If I don't get rid of it soon, there might not be anything left!

Maybe I'll get enough money to buy a new light...:whistle:

DrunkenDonut

Newly Enlightened
My very first eBay transaction was to buy a car. I did have a chat with the seller on the phone prior to winning though. :D

Latest posts