Coleman Exponent Flashlight/Knife

fresnorich

Newly Enlightened
Haven't seen too many flashlight/knife combos around:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=4347-715&categoryid=1110

•Convenient, lightweight flashlight and handy knife in one•Cree® Xlamp® XR-E LED - 80 lumens•Folding 3-inch knife blade made of 420 HC stainless steel tempered to 58 Rockwell hardness•Blade has a serrated area and easily lifts from flashlight and locks into place•Tough die-cast aluminum body•Run time up to 5 hours•Three-position tail cap switch - Off/On/Emergency Strobe•Durable, weather-resistant with rubber grip and anti-roll feature•Operats on four AAA batteries (included)•Weighs 8.2 ounces (231 grams) with batteries•Made in China

fresnorich

Newly Enlightened
Apparently, it's not even worthy of the LED Flashlight Forum. I didn't think it would qualify as much of a multitool since it only has two primary functions.

BTW: It's on sale for a discounted price of $30 if you enter the word FAMILY when you go to the "Family Store". I'm not planning to buy one, but I thought some people here might be interested in the concept.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that's pretty neat! Two essential emergency tools in one and looks like a good deal for half price. Loaded with primary Li-Ion AAA's, it would make a good car/truck emergency tool. Too bad the blade steel of the knife wasn't a little better but 420HC properly heat treated will work fine. Also, it's too bad it doesn't have low and high modes but at least it's a CREE based light.

Last edited:

moonfish

Newly Enlightened
It would be cool if you were named Warf, son of Mogh. Seriously, I can't imagine needing to cut what I can't quite see.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not the point moonfish. :) It's having two indispensable tools, ( a knife and a flashlight), in one package.

nbp

Flashaholic
It seems kinda cool, but my experience has been that when manufacturers try to make a product that does too many things, the function of all of them suffer as a result. I prefer to carry two or three things that do their jobs very well, rather than one thing that does two or three things in a mediocre fashion.

I'll say though that it is a sharp (no pun intended) looking piece. I hope that it is of good quality, as I'm sure there are plenty of people who would enjoy it.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
I'd still prefer to have 2 seperate tools. What if you need to cut in the dark. It may be too bright having the emitter so close to the blade.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
I'd still prefer to have 2 seperate tools. What if you need to cut in the dark. It may be too bright having the emitter so close to the blade.

e2x2e

Enlightened
It seems kinda cool, but my experience has been that when manufacturers try to make a product that does too many things, the function of all of them suffer as a result. I prefer to carry two or three things that do their jobs very well, rather than one thing that does two or three things in a mediocre fashion.

Me too...I tend to stray away from things that try to do too much at once.

Latest posts