Angryfox        
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

  1. #1
    Flashaholic* Chrontius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,133

    Shrug Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    The more I look at the Scorpion, the more it looks like it's got a leg up on the Surefire. 114 lumens vs. 65 Surefire lumens - dunno how good Streamlight is about rating those - with the same runtime. Brightguy's got the 6P for $60 and the Scorpion for $35. (I know, never pay retail on a Surefire 6P)

    Is it just the name recognition, the potential for Surefire lego (I can't imagine many non-enthusiasts do that), or is the lockout tailcap really that important?

  2. #2
    Flashaholic* Lighthouse one's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ephrata, Pa
    Posts
    1,230

    Default Re: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    Surefire is very conservative on their ratings.
    Striker VG, SL Scorpion Led, Huntlight FT01, Wolf Eyes 9 v Raider, D-Mini Lumapower, Drumlights, Surefire G2, Dereelight ,Ultrafire 500, Power on Board HID, Olight T 20 Q 5, Zebralight H-30, Nitecore EX 10, Eagletac T10C2, MTE P 7D, Icon Rogue 2

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* Flash_Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NC USA
    Posts
    1,246

    Post Re: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    Streamlight claims 78 lumens for he xenon Scorpion.

    I like the 6P because: Numerous choices for xenon lamps or LED modules.
    Ability to modify light with different tailcaps or bezels. Surefire quality.

    Some careful shopping in the CPF MarketPlace or on eBay can find a 6P at a very nice price. You can also buy a 6P LED and add a xenon LA.

    Mark

  4. #4
    *Flashaholic* mdocod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    COLORado spRINGs
    Posts
    7,544

    Default Re: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    As I understand the scorpion uses a bi-pin bulb, which has the disadvantage of being more likely to be jared loose if dropped or exposed to recoil, (or at least, I would have to assume). Surefire uses a D26 style lamp assembly, which has become a standard in the tactical market, the advantage to these assemblies is that you get a fresh reflector with every bulb replacement, or, you can choose from one of dozens of available LED upgrade modules (even SureFire has one now). If you get a good deal on the 6P, you have a lot more options. Personally, I'd take a Wolf-Eyes 6 series over either since it will accommodate a 18650 size cell If rechargeable options are not something you are interested in, then go with the 6P

    Oh, and try not to worry too much about the lumen rating difference between the scorpion and 6P, they are both, for all intents and purposes, almost identical in total light output, both use bulbs that run around 1.2A on a pair of CR123s. I think the scorpion might have a slightly tighter beam profile, (guessing here)... any minor difference would be almost undetectable by the human eye.
    -Eric

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* Outdoors Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Land of Spiders
    Posts
    4,865

    Thumbs up Re: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    Quote Originally Posted by mdocod View Post
    As I understand the scorpion uses a bi-pin bulb, which has the disadvantage of being more likely to be jared loose if dropped or exposed to recoil, (or at least, I would have to assume). Surefire uses a D26 style lamp assembly, which has become a standard in the tactical market, the advantage to these assemblies is that you get a fresh reflector with every bulb replacement, or, you can choose from one of dozens of available LED upgrade modules (even SureFire has one now). If you get a good deal on the 6P, you have a lot more options. Personally, I'd take a Wolf-Eyes 6 series over either since it will accommodate a 18650 size cell If rechargeable options are not something you are interested in, then go with the 6P

    Oh, and try not to worry too much about the lumen rating difference between the scorpion and 6P, they are both, for all intents and purposes, almost identical in total light output, both use bulbs that run around 1.2A on a pair of CR123s. I think the scorpion might have a slightly tighter beam profile, (guessing here)... any minor difference would be almost undetectable by the human eye.
    +1

    Great post! I agree 100% with that.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* Chrontius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    So, if you don't expect the bipin bulb to be a problem, the Streamlight is probably more bang-for-buck (for straight-up incandescent) than the 6p, considering the going price?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    The physical differences between the two might be the deciding factor for some users.

    The SL Scorpions' rubber coated body vs. SF with bare metal.
    The SL has a clickie tailcap switch vs. SF's twisty.
    The SL has a less expensive onboard spare lamp vs. SF's more expensive lamp/reflector assembly.
    The SL has a slightly smaller diameter vs. The SF 1" diameter.
    The SL is "fed" from the bezel end, the SF at either end.

    Paladin
    Qui Me Tangit Paenitebit (he who touches me will repent)

  8. #8
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Baden.at
    Posts
    4,488

    Default

    mechanically the Streamlight is in a totally different (crappier) league than the 6P.
    output-wise the Streamlight kicks the 6P
    ... but I only have an 18650 Scorpion, dunno if this makes much of a difference to the CR123 model

    lower pic, left: Scorpion 18650 on left, 6P on right
    lower pic, right: 6P on left, Scorpion 18650 on right



    beam of Scorpion set to same diameter than the 6P one,
    CR batteries unused but 1/2 year old, 18650 with some rest (2 weeks or so)

  9. #9
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles. CA
    Posts
    636

    Default Re: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    I personally prefer the Scorpion because in really cold weather, the sleeved body is a lot easier to hold. when I went to nor-cal last december, the scorpion was the most used light despite bringning a load of other lights.

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* Chrontius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    O-kay. That is in fact a very big difference in output, but what bulb are you using? Is it official Streamlight stuff for use with the li-ion battery?

  11. #11
    *Flashaholic* mdocod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    COLORado spRINGs
    Posts
    7,544

    Default Re: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    I think he might be comparing to the strion, which uses a 18650 li-ion cell, and is around $100 if i recall correctly.. The strion has good throw from what i have seen for it's size, so will appear brighter in most beam shots..

    Out of curiosity, why not a LED light in this size? The only configurations in this size class that come close to LEDs in output are very limited on runtime (20 minutes or so).
    -Eric

  12. #12

    Default Re: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    To outperform a Streamlight Scorpion you can get a Surefire 6P on ebay for $40 and a bright DX led drop in for $10. You can out shine a Streamlight Scorpion for $15 more than the price of a Streamlight Scorpion.

  13. #13
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Baden.at
    Posts
    4,488

    Default

    the "Streamlight Scorpion 18650" is an half-official ;-) release that uses a strion bulb and a body that could house an 18650 Li-Ion cell.
    Got mine from lighthound but when I checked now, it is no longer there.


    PS: I'd also opt for the Led-version (especially in this flashlight size class).
    the upper row shows a Cree XR-E "P4" vs. the 18650 Scorpion.
    And that led runs for almost 2.5 hours on that brightness on an 18650 (vs. the "usual" 50 mins for the incan) + the lower levels, ruggedness, ...

  14. #14

    Default Re: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    From the sounds of this, you guys probably mean the comparison of a surefire G2 nitrolon and a Scorpion (definetly a more fair comparison). Both are polymer bodied. The G2 is a nitrolon (not the cheap plastic you see on dollar store lights) and the scorpion uses a replaceable rubber sleave on the metal body. In terms of output they are about the same (believe me, streamlights lumen ratings are a bit over blown). Remember the G2 nitrolon costs $36.00(msrp) and the scorpion somewhere in the neighborhood of 28 to 35 dollars. The newer LED scorpion (w/ C4 technology as they call it) uses a Cree-XRE (P4 I think) and outputs 114 streamlight lumens (I think that is more around 80 lumens out the front, last I checked, streamlight likes to rate bulb lumens and not what actually makes it out the front of the light). That puts the P60LED module on the same page as the Scorpion LEDs output. In this case I would go with surefire (not that I am biased or anything)
    Flashlights Are fun. So are the inner workings.
    Electronics hobby site: http://www.uchobby.com

  15. #15
    Flashaholic* Lunal_Tic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The Wilds of Tokyo
    Posts
    2,876

    Default Re: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    With the cheaper bulbs (carries a spare in the light too) and forward clickie tail switch I've given more Scorpions away as gifts. The rubber sleeve is also nice if you have to hold the light in your mouth, your teeth will thank you for it. It's a nice inexpensive incan to have and use.

    The 6P is nice but I wouldn't run a P60 in it with all the LED options out there.

    -LT
    lunal tic (n)
    a distinctive behavioral trait or quirk directly related to or caused by light [15th cent. Latin lunaris. Ultimately from an IE word meaning “light,”] and [Early 19th cent. Italian ticchio.] see also: moon quirk

  16. #16
    Flashaholic* Chrontius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,133

    Default Re: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    I agree on the LED suggestion, I've been carrying nothing but since I switched from a mini-mag back when I started actually carrying a light. But once I got an incandescent light with acceptable output (Surefire) I've had a crisis of faith. While on the one hand, a Malkoff M60 will equal a ROP-LE-low in terms of throw, the incandescent bulb will make details appear that simply don't show up with the LED. A little analytical chemistry will go a long way to explain the reasoning behind people's love of incandescent lights - some things simply soak up everything in the region of the LED's spectral peaks, and reflect the regions where it's putting out very little light. I bought a Malkoff to have the best (and not spend another $60-100 trying things I'd stop using until I got fed up and bought a Malkoff anyway) and I'm still occasionally tempted to go back to the P60.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrontius View Post
    The more I look at the Scorpion, the more it looks like it's got a leg up on the Surefire. 114 lumens vs. 65 Surefire lumens - dunno how good Streamlight is about rating those - with the same runtime. Brightguy's got the 6P for $60 and the Scorpion for $35. (I know, never pay retail on a Surefire 6P)

    Is it just the name recognition, the potential for Surefire lego (I can't imagine many non-enthusiasts do that), or is the lockout tailcap really that important?
    I also used to think that Streamlight had a leg up on Surefire, when it came to these two models. Then one day, I went to Cabela's. Bought a couple of Surefire G2 models and a Streamlight Scorpion.

    Imagine my surprise when the G2 models turned out to be brighter, with better sidespill. Later on, I learned that (unlike Surefire) Streamlight measures emitter lumens.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  18. #18
    Flashaholic USM0083's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Frisco
    Posts
    411

    Default Re: Streamlight Scorpion vs. Surefire 6P

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrontius View Post
    I agree on the LED suggestion, I've been carrying nothing but since I switched from a mini-mag back when I started actually carrying a light. But once I got an incandescent light with acceptable output (Surefire) I've had a crisis of faith. While on the one hand, a Malkoff M60 will equal a ROP-LE-low in terms of throw, the incandescent bulb will make details appear that simply don't show up with the LED. A little analytical chemistry will go a long way to explain the reasoning behind people's love of incandescent lights - some things simply soak up everything in the region of the LED's spectral peaks, and reflect the regions where it's putting out very little light. I bought a Malkoff to have the best (and not spend another $60-100 trying things I'd stop using until I got fed up and bought a Malkoff anyway) and I'm still occasionally tempted to go back to the P60.
    +1

    I two lights on my duty belt a G2Z with a R2 Cree and a G3 with a HO-9. For outdoors the HO-9 brings out details better (for my eyes, at least).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •