Looking at getting my first Luxeon

tech

Newly Enlightened
My current favorite LED light is my Inova X5T.
However, I want to get a Lux light.

I like the CMG Reactor III, but am basically looking for the best and brightest Lux light I can get for less than $40.
What recommendations can you give me?

T.

zmoz

Enlightened
I would say a mag lite and everled would be your best option. Check the for sale section here for a good deal on one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

onelight

Enlightened
cfr lights has standard cmg reactors for 29.95 this price includes 2 lithium aa bats and freight. That said I think any of the badboy mods are a better deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Less than 40$?

InReTECH says that their current batch of 2AA modules for the Mini Mag are very white, and bright, So, for under 40, that is what I would do.

Now, for "Sky is the limit", you have ARC LS as the best and oldest commercially available LS (Streamlight will be offering them soon, and SureFire also offers them), Elektrolumens is now making lights commercially (he was a top notch part time modder, but went pro!) a dat2zip module (he has upgrades to a higher rated LS), Lambda will be offering a new Lambda Illuminator.

However, my favorite, and it is not available all the time, is a Mr. Bulk LGI. He hand picks only the best of the best, and only sells them AFTER he has verified that every single LS is just perfect. Be prepared to wait for him to offer a run, however. The Price is a very reasonable 55.00

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You're probably looking at a CMG Reactor - if you get one that doesn't have that "rotten dog urine green" color - or the Mr.Bulk LGI, which is guaranteed to have a perfect snow white color and very high brightness - or the Inretech drop-in mod for the Mini Mag.

I think BuddTX's post right above mine is right on the money, so it doesn't really matter who's recommendation you follow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I haven't seen an EverLED bulb yet, so I'm in no position to comment about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
Elektrolumens Starlux. Bright as a Blaster II. $40

(I don't have one, I have a BII and it's GREAT, Wayne says the Starlux is the same)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I just bought 7 (that should tell you I like them for the $$, but remember you need a MiniMag or Brinkmann Legend also - but that keeps you below $40) InReTech 2AA drop-ins but haven't had the chance to check them out yet. I also heard that the latest batch is very nice...

However for the $40 tag you've mentioned, coupled with the "best and brightest" I'd HAVE to go with a MadMax, Bad Boy 400, or Bad Boy 500 drop in (coupled with that MiniMag or Brinkmann Legend again). I "think" they are going for $30, $35, $40 respectively, so those will still keep you around your limit. I own the BB400 ("just a little less" bright than the BB500 with a longer runtime)in a Brinkmann Legend and absolutely love it!!!

But if you squeeze a little more out of your wallet then it's the $55 Mr. Bulk LGI (3AA Brinkmann Legend with high quality LS)!!!

I know there are a lot of other quality options, but I've seen/own these, so I'm only speaking from my own experience.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Buy which ever suits your fancy but no worries. As the subject line says, it's your first LS. Ha! It won't be your last! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- Don

Kirk

Enlightened
I just got a CMG Reactor 3 from Darkgear for $28.95 + $4.50 freight. Very white and bright. Compares favorably to my KL1 and Arc SLS. Uses cheap batteries, too!
Kirk

JOshooter

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Buy which ever suits your fancy but no worries. As the subject line says, it's your first LS. Ha! It won't be your last! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
----------------------------------------

Once you have bought one, you haven't bought them all...You will be forever changed.
- Don

[/ QUOTE ]

DHCrocks

Newly Enlightened
my first and only one so far is the InRetech AA, It has a very nice white color, a little on the green side if you look closely but it's much better then the blueish output of the 5mm leds, easier on the eyes. I would highly recommend it at only $20. it's an easy way to get started. I was expecting it to be unreal bright from what everyone says about the Luxeons and don't get me wrong it is bright for it's size but I guess my expectations were too high considering I've been using mainly halogen or xenon bulbs in the past. I'm gonna look for some AA lithums and toss em in to see what happens. btw it has a very smooth and even beam and provided a good floodlike effect within the limitations of the small minimag head, and it throws not to bad too, it's definitely better then the stock bulb. Here's a little plug for InRetech, super fast shipping, it was a pleasure doing business with them.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
DHCrocks, do not compare luxeon with halogen or xenon, they are simply not intended for that kind of usage. However, if you are comparing luxeons with incandescent other than those, like the krypton bulb from mag 2D or 3D, then you will see how great the beam of the luxeons compared to those, especially if you are using the modders product like Mr Bulk's SN2, Elektrolumens' Blaster. They have really good throw.

tech

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the replys (CPF really rocks!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

So, looking at your suggestions, and thinking I could go up to $50, here are some lights of interest:

CMG Reactor 3 - $30 from Meridian
Everled dropin - $40 - I do have a 10 year old 3D mag...is there a better mod for an old 3d mag?

Sounds good, but cannot find them for sale:
$55 Mr. Bulk LGI
Elektrolumens Starlux

Again, thanks for all the info!
T.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget to buy Madmax and Badboy. They are voltage (madmax) and current (badboy) regulated. I would say rather than spending the money on CMG reactor, it is better to spend it for Madmax or badboy. That way, you will still only need 2AA battery and that keeps your light small.
Currently, I think there is no mod that is better than Everled. There are some that is worse, like the 3led flange that was sold on Ebay. They are really dim and blue. However, There are also other, if not better, option beside everled, like the mod (SN2, for example) by Mr Bulk.
Regarding the LGI, try emailing Mr Bulk. Maybe he can make special arrangement for you, maybe?

frogmonk

Newly Enlightened
Tech,
You can always get the Reactor 3, and if you get tired of the light output you can always modify it by removing the resistor. This brings the light output close to if not equivalent to an LGI. The only thing with the Reactors is you never know what the LS quality will be in terms of color and brightness untill you try it out.

tech

Newly Enlightened
Well...it was a really tough choice. I have no experience with mods, so I had to decide between a EverLED (for my old 3d Mag)and ReactorIII.

After much thought I did what any CPF member should do...

I decided to add a bit to myh budget and buy them both!

Whew...that was tough...now I just have to wait for them to arrive.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

T

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Making a decision can be SO tough for us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Depends on budgetary constraints.

I bought 2 Reactors (2AA), liked them both and gave one to a friend, who likes it. He and I trade things back and forth like that. When I decided to upgrade my mobo and cpu, I handed my old ones off to him. It saves him the expense for those 2 items. Who knows, after April 9th, he may have to put salt in our water softener for us. (I go into hospital for oupatient leg cath/balloon angioplasty and 10-15% chance that things may get much worse, rather than better.) See Cafe post: don't comment here, please.