Just ordered R2 drop in from DX - what can I expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have an opinion of it? I'm looking at putting it in a 6P or C2. Any idea of the current draw off 2 primaries?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
its nice...bit cool, but its in my C2 now..its got a fait bit of throw..

Crenshaw

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Well, I have a 6P-GM on the way to put it in. Hope it doesnt take forever to get here....

Thats the ONE thing you can expect... slow shipping. But its not too bad when you think about the logistics, customs clearances....etc. In DX defense, all my orders have shipped out of hong kong within 2-3 days of them getting the item in stock. The bulk of the ~2-3 week wait was the actual transport and customs clearances.

ginaz

Enlightened
well, mine is a nice white. tight, throwy beam with slight rings, not noticable in use. slightly dimmer than my Q5 5 mode.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a fantastic dropin, put it this way: if your friend had a Malkoff M60 and both running RCR123s, you won't feel inferior with the R2!

Anyone have an opinion of it? I'm looking at putting it in a 6P or C2. Any idea of the current draw off 2 primaries?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a fantastic dropin, put it this way: if your friend had a Malkoff M60 and both running RCR123s, you won't feel inferior with the R2!
except for the tint, the malkoff has a beautifully warm tint...which is why its back in c2 for now...its so hard to decide between the two...

but he is right,the r2 drop in is no slouch..

Crenshaw

Spypro

Enlightened
I received mine yesterday.
You can see some beamshots in the sticky thread about P60 drop-in.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yes, I forgot to mention the warmer tint that helps vision in rainy/foggy conditions as well as the super smooth beam quality of the Malkoff.

The beam profile DX R2 is as ringy as Saturn!

except for the tint, the malkoff has a beautifully warm tint...which is why its back in c2 for now...its so hard to decide between the two...

but he is right,the r2 drop in is no slouch..

Crenshaw

santza

Newly Enlightened
+1, Mine is very bright, good pure white tint and it makes my L2D RB100 look like an average flashlight. :eek:oo: It has a slight dark corona/cree ring around the hotspot but that shouldnt be a problem unless you use it only on white walls.

Looks brighter than my previous sku.6090 p4 drop-in which I sold with my G2. Note: I haven't done a direct comparison between 6090 and R2.

It pulls 600ma from 2XRCR123 at 3,9V which makes it about 4,5W of power input. So maybe you should not run this in G2/G3 without a metal bezel for too long.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Yeah... White wall hunting is pretty ugly, its very ringy IMHO. My 60lumen Rebel puts it to shame as far as beam smoothness is concerned.

My son and I went out on a night hike the other night and stopped to explore an open field with our flashlights. It was easily 4-5 football fields square area with a lot of trees around the perimeter and a couple in the middle. The night bats were out in force!! We could hear them and spot them flying across the sky with our flashlights. They are not the most graceful fliers.. a kind of sporatic, stumbling kind of flight. I guess they have evolved to mimick the flight patterns of their prey. Moth also kind of fly the same way. I had my 6P with R2 drop in and he had my Lowes task force. We picked a spot in the middle of the field and just kicked back under the stars. From that spot in the middle, I could easily light up 80% of the field with usably bright light from the R2 module. I could dimly light the far reaches.

The R2 module is definitely more of a thrower, it has some serviceable flood but thats not its strength. When the bats fell out of the beam... they disappeared. My sons Task force wasn't much better too;). But we could easily hear them chirping across the sky and re-track them. Its definitely a thrower, but the beam opens up wide enough at around 30-40 yards.

Some of the bugs that come out at night are pretty scary too. We saw a HUGE moth, this thing was a monster... at least 2-3 inches and a wingspan half the size of my hand. That guy got lucky and made it through the night without getting caught.

I shot a quick video comparing the 6090 and 11836... see the link in my sig below.:D

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also hear the reflector is shorter on this module. Is that true? If so I may have to swap out the reflector from my 6090 if it will fit.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I also hear the reflector is shorter on this module. Is that true? If so I may have to swap out the reflector from my 6090 if it will fit.

really? I'll check it tonight. One things for sure, as far as overall fit in a 6P, my 6090 and 11836 drop right in, with no difference. I hadn't really looked at the reflectors by themself.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
my 6090 and 11836 use identical reflectors. if the R2 didn't have that label, there would be no difference at all. I swapped them for the heck of it... no difference.

santza

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tested effect of "focusing" this drop-in by rotating the reflector and changing the position of the emitter? Any measured/photographed difference? I think that led lying deep in the reflector could maybe have more throw?

This is done by "tightening" the reflector, which makes the emitter go up, and loosening it makes it to go deeper down.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Has anyone tested effect of "focusing" this drop-in by rotating the reflector and changing the position of the emitter? Any measured/photographed difference? I think that led lying deep in the reflector could maybe have more throw?

This is done by "tightening" the reflector, which makes the emitter go up, and loosening it makes it to go deeper down.

I haven't tried that.... I'll do so tonight and try to report my findings. It makes sense though, you are moving the phosphor surface in/out of the focal point to affect the throw focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.