New bought JETBeam JET-III Pro 3.7V SE

fineday

Newly Enlightened
Well I have been waiting for a "Perfect" flashlight for quite a long time. In my mind a perfect light has to have these characteristics, first of all is perfect making, second is as bright as possible, and then, must a capacity of powerful battery types like 17670 or 18650, and at last, has useful functions. Since I got my first INOVA XO nearly 4 years ago, I was satisfied by it's perfect making, but when time passed by Luxeon Star 1W was going of date, and the size of XO was another disadvantage. Then I turned to AA lights for smaller size and better storing, however AA battery was always not powerful enough to make newer LED to work fully, although there were 14500 Li-ion batteries, they were too easy to over-used. I bought Fenix L1P and JETBeam JET-I MK2 and C-LE one after another, all of them AA sized. Yep I can't denine the joy they brought, when I first put a 14500 Li-ion into JETBeam MK2 to see a 100Lumens' lightness or then into C-LE for even more than 150, but still the perfect light didn't appear, until today.

OK I've been saying so much useless words please forgive me:D but I'm too happy to get this one: JETBeam JET-III Pro 3.7V Special Edition.

Less words, more pictures. This would always be good.:huh:
DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

In pictures you'll see this light have changed the normal triangle-shaped screw thread into squard shape. I don't know does this shape have some advantages or not, but at least the feeling in twisting is good. On the surface of all screw threads, the manufacturer applies passivation tech so it shows a copper-like yellow. The coat of this light is also TYPE-III, feeling like ceramic when touching. Very well.

The power of this light comes from a 18650 or 17670 Li-ion battery which can make it burst out a 225 Lumens(MAX) beacon for 1.5 hours. In the lowest mode(2 lumens) light can stand for as long as 150 hours. The LED of it is Q5 bin.

Spec is not important when JETBeam always did a good making. The most impressive innovation is the function it provides. Since different light modes were provided by lights, all lights do have several fixed modes, for example JETBeam MK2 will work under MID-LOW-MAX-Strobe in cycle, and C-LE would be MID-LOW-MAX-Strobe-SOS. As time goes functions of lights are also becoming more and more until changing mode becomes a inconvenience thing. Fenix first made something new as switching general mode set by head and cycling each mode in the very set by clicking the tail. But JETBeam's new system, named I.B.S. is of course better.

In I.B.S. there are three "slots" named A B and C, each can contain a different setting. You can apply whether a output level or a special function into a slot, by switching into one mode and clicking tail switchers three times quickly. The light will enter setting menu and cycling from MIN(2 Lumens) to MAX(225 Lumens) smoothly. Turning off the light when it reaches the demand lightness level over 2 seconds will make the light remember the setting, or the light will enter special function setting menu. As the same, the light will show all of its special functions in turn and to select one, turn off it for longer than 2 seconds.

----

The next one is beam shot.:eek:
Comparing Cree Q5 with Luxeon 1W is not fair I think, also AA with Li-ion. So only MK2, C-LE and JET3 will take place. All lights use Li-ion battery, for CLE and MK2 is 14500(at 4.19V) and for JET3 is a 17670(only 3.71V).
First, 1/125s shutter.
125_MK2.jpg
125_CLE.jpg
125_JET3.jpg

Well MK2 is obviously not bright enough...and 1/125s seems too long for CLE and JET3.

Then 1/400s.
400_CLE.jpg
400_JET3.jpg

1/400s seems good. C-LE's highlight is proper-exposed, but JET3's is still over-exposed. OK let's try 1/1000s sutter.

1000_CLE.jpg
1000_JET3.jpg

This time JET3's highlight is proper-exposed except the very center, while C-LE's become so dim.

At last here is a picture of JET3's beam at 1/2000s shutter.
2000_JET3.jpg

Conclution:
It throws well, as the beam shot shows.
The beam is not so smooth because of its reflector. Textured reflector can provide a better beam but shorter throwing, so it is a tough decision.

But after all, I like it very very much. It is the perfect one I've ever got and will be my last light until next burst of LED's efficiency.

----
One thing forgot:JET3Pro is current adjusting, so I can't see any flicker even in the lowest mode.

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
fineday, where did you order your JetBeam Jet-III from? I pre-ordered it from Bugoutgearusa, but it still not in stock yet. Arrrgh, I can't wait.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
never mind ... I see from your location, you probably got it in China. Damn, now I just have to wait patiently. :whistle:

fineday

Newly Enlightened
fineday, where did you order your JetBeam Jet-III from? I pre-ordered it from Bugoutgearusa, but it still not in stock yet. Arrrgh, I can't wait.
I ordered it from local distributor, so I got it 2 days ago.

Magichunter

Newly Enlightened
Please tell us more Fineday... how bright is this light and is it very floody or does it have great throw? Does the head get hot like the MKII?

I have one on pre order because I had a good feeling about this one.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Pictures fineday... lucky you that you are located in China, most of us will have to wait...

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that hkequipment on ebay has some available. hmmm ... should I wait for bugoutgear or get it from hkequipment. tough decision. If BOG gets it in two weeks, it'll be faster with them, but if it gets delayed ....

I must be patient!!!

fineday

Newly Enlightened
My JET3 has a smooth reflector, I see the one on "hkequipment" is textured. I think textured one should have a more floody beam but less throwing.

In fact I prefer textured one... but the distributor have only smooth ones so I have to got this. :eek:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh now you're just bragging ... you'll get two Jet-III before we even get one.

I would get it from hkequipment since I got my NDI from them. I got my NDI within 2 weeks from them. The only thing is their after sale service is terrible ... at least for me. I had problems with my NDI and contacted them, and they never got back to me. That's why I have to stick with BOG ... at least they're located in the US and it'll be quicker and cheaper for me to return the item to them if there's any problem.

I may be going to hong kong for business within the next week or two ... so I have to find out where I can go to look for flashlights.

fineday

Newly Enlightened
Oh now you're just bragging ... you'll get two Jet-III before we even get one.

I would get it from hkequipment since I got my NDI from them. I got my NDI within 2 weeks from them. The only thing is their after sale service is terrible ... at least for me. I had problems with my NDI and contacted them, and they never got back to me. That's why I have to stick with BOG ... at least they're located in the US and it'll be quicker and cheaper for me to return the item to them if there's any problem.

I may be going to hong kong for business within the next week or two ... so I have to find out where I can go to look for flashlights.
My local JETBeam distributor is very kind, my JET3's beam is not perfect yet, you see the yellow ring, is not centered with the highlight. I have been thinking about changing a new one yesterday and sent messages to the distributor, who immediately replied me and said if there was anything you feel unconvenience please post your light back to us, we'll change a new one to you. However I decided not to change at last, the distributor replied me and promised to give me a free light bag.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
do you have any other cree/rebel/seoul lights to compare it to? or a lux meter?

thanks for the review :thumbsup: I've been waiting for this light.

fineday

Newly Enlightened
do you have any other cree/rebel/seoul lights to compare it to? or a lux meter?

thanks for the review :thumbsup: I've been waiting for this light.
:eek:oo:No
Except new JET3, C-LE is the brightest light I can find, and several weeks ago I had an EyeOne Display 2 who can measure the environment light, but now it's gone.

However we know the brightness of JETBeam JET-I MK2X, and the first batch of C-LEs(just mine) did use the same circuit of it so when placed with 14500 Li-ion, the driving current of C-LE is just the same as MK2X. C-LE uses a P4 bin Cree and MK2X seems has a Q2 bin, so with the picture between C-LE and JET3, I think we can give a general value that JET3's brightness could be.

In the official PDF documents, it says P4 bin has a brightness of at least 80.6 Lumens @ 350mA and Q2 is 87.4. And spec says when MK2.X is fully driven it could be as bright as 150 Lumens, so C-LE could be 138 Lumens due to the bin difference. OK just suggest that C-LE in the photo is running at 100% throttle and bursts a 138 Lumens light, and take a comparision between JET3 at 1/2000s shutter and C-LE at 1/1000s shutter, I'd say JET3's output will be at least 200 Lumens.

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got an email from bugoutgearusa saying that my Jet-III Pro is going to be shipped tomorrow. :twothumbs I'm going to get it in a couple of days.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm I think I'd prefer a textured reflector as this isn't a superthrower like the DBS or the Raidfire Spear, MRV, etc.
I'm also going to wait for one to come with a BEZEL DOWN clip but iirc it was hinted that Jetbeam may do this soon. But I welcome more quality 18650 lights to the market. :devil: