Anyone on the forum makes this?

Illum

Flashaholic
http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/8b57/

I must admit it was a good idea that I never thought of despite the extensive use of ice cubes

using "a hunk of highly polished super-ellipsoid stainless steel" as an ice cube that doesn't water down the drink after it warms

Anyone here that machines SS?
SS spheres would be nice:naughty:

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Interesting idea. When the glass is tipped up for the last drop, better hope the darn thing doesn't hit too hard! Chipped teeth or a cut lip you just might get.

Empath

Flashaholic
It can't be as effective as ice, or one of the plastic encased liquid agents. The change of form from solid to liquid is the real cooling process. The ambient change without change of state can't compare.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Gotta' be a better idea than that.

I, too, instantly thought of "chipped teeth" when finishing yer' drink.

:oops: ___ :wtf:

_

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i thought ice in a glass cooled the liquid by convection?

anyway, now we know what the dentist means when he says its bad to chew/bite ice..

Crenshaw

Empath

Flashaholic
i thought ice in a glass cooled the liquid by convection?

Convection is just straight equalization of temperature. For the ice to change to liquid each gram of ice requires 80 additional calories of heat. It draws that heat out of the beverage. That would make the ice 80 times more effective than the steel.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can't be as effective as ice, or one of the plastic encased liquid agents. The change of form from solid to liquid is the real cooling process. The ambient change without change of state can't compare.
Tsk tsk, empath you are slipping. First you miss my joke about crenshaw's name, now this :p This thing is liquid cored, " The magic behind this is a liquid core of a top-secret substance that freezes solid and releases its cooling mojo slowly".

Although for $30 each, nah. :faint:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Convection is just straight equalization of temperature. For the ice to change to liquid each gram of ice requires 80 additional calories of heat. It draws that heat out of the beverage. That would make the ice 80 times more effective than the steel.
yes, but in order for the ball of steel to heat up, it would also have to draw heat from the water yes? asuming its got some miracle coolent inside, it might actually be more effective...

but i think jzmtl's got the best reason against it...$30s a pop? even if they are reusable,i would probably make ice cubes out of whisky, so that when they melt, the drink doesnt get diluted..

Crenshaw

Empath

Flashaholic
Yeah, I missed it jz. They shouldn't put those particulars so far into the description.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A mole of water (6 x 10 to the 23rd power molecules) can absorb more heat than any other substance. So an ice cube is going to be better. Their 'super secret liquid core' is either water or something dangerous. I still don't believe their sales pitch. BTW I didn't look any of this up on the Internet - those are just a couple tidbits I retained from about 40 years ago in school so if I'm wrong blame it on my memory :)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
whoops about the whiskey then...:crazy:
i am not much of a drinker....

matrix...lol! i remember that from high school..i hated that! stupid moles...hated organic chem too...concept was interesting, working out the math was just boring..

Crenshaw

Marduke

Flashaholic
me neither, but alcohol doesnt freeze.

Depends on how cold we're talking. About -30C will freeze 100 proof, -114C for 200 proof (pure ethanol). A really good home freezer could just manage to freeze 70 proof. I used to own a freezer that could just barely slush cheap vodka.

Last edited:

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
Several comments here...

Illum_the_nation: I forgot about gravity.

Ah, but gravity never forgets about you! :D

Crenshaw: make ice cubes out of whisky

Whiskey ice cubes? ACK! BLECH! and other sounds of horror.

Drink your whiskey warm, anything else is like covering a fine steak with ketchup or asking for your sushi "well done!"

mossyoak: I'm a guy.

At some point, you may want to take some time and question the life choices which have placed you in a position where you feel you must make such declarations.

I ain't judgin, I'm just sayin!

:whistle:
:devil: