design idea

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I've been thinking about a design lately. The main beam would be multiple high output emitters, P7 if you want, with each of them having their own extremely-acute-angle aspheric lens, all behind a window. Surrounding the edge of the inner bezel would be multiple emitters behind only the window and nothing else (no focusing lens), for perfect and bright flood. A123 Nanophosphate would probably be the most ideal power source. Have it so you could select either flood or main beam seperately or together, maybe two closely-mounted forward clickies at the back, different shape and/or texture for the clickies so you could easily tell which button is which. This thing would have pretty ridiculous throw, even with only a 3x3 Cree setup (3 floods, 3 beams). We've seen how far just one behind an aspherical can throw, imagine a bunch with even tighter divergence lenses. The flood would also be great, owing to it's simplicity (Zebralight on steroids). Heatsinking would also be one of the utmost concerns here..

Last edited:

L.E.D.

Enlightened
l_9dc1632bd645f8e17a3da60a34053a3d.jpg

Last edited:

L.E.D.

Enlightened
IMHO, this would provide the best beam manipulation, with throw never before seen in the LED world as well as the best flood it has to offer. In fact, I bet there's no flashaholic who wouldn't mind AT ALL having a flashlight like this!!

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with aspherics/P7's is the die spacing- if the aspheric is perfectly focussed, then you get 4 blobs (see the aspheric Ostar mag mod someone did- he got 6 blobs)

IMO R2's/Q5's would be best for this. However, the problem is getting a small but tightly focussed aspheric.... see here for what I mean. You need a large focal length for a tight spot, and then a large diameter to catch the most light emitted by the LED. It's a good idea though, and if you can somehow get it to work, i'm in ;)