e1e vs e1L

wolfstyle

Enlightened
Is the only difference between these two lights the head and the body writing?

wolfstyle

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume that you own an E1e and are looking to make a head-swap to make it into an E1L? If so, why not instead consider swapping out the bulb for a Lumens Factory one and use an AW Li-ion cell. This is what I have done and it is the most gorgeous incandescent EDC. Works out to be roughly the same output as a G2/6P.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume that you own an E1e and are looking to make a head-swap to make it into an E1L? If so, why not instead consider swapping out the bulb for a Lumens Factory one and use an AW Li-ion cell. This is what I have done and it is the most gorgeous incandescent EDC. Works out to be roughly the same output as a G2/6P.
+1

I was about to recommend that myself... That's what I use with my E1e and it is just plain awesome. 6P power in something slightly larger than a thumb and rechargeable to boot.

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic, cheers for backing this one up. It is my favorite go-to light now that it has had the upgrades. I actually had no intention whatsoever of keeping it stock. It's like the Maglite 2D, it is not satisfactory without a little "tweaking" (read: ROP modification)

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
If I change the bulb to the higher output, can I continue with regular non chargeable (disposable) cr123's?:shrug:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The high output lamp requires rechargeables, but LumensFactory does make a lamp that is a direct replacement for the stock SF lamp.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
Would the replacement be that much brighter, if any without rechargeables, I'm kind of new here:thinking:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is going a little off topic but the MN01 SF lamp for the E1e is rated at about 15 lumens and costs about $15 (from SF) with a runtime of about 90 minutes. The Lumens Factory HO-E1A is rated at 40 lumens and costs about $12 (at Lighthound) with a runtime of about 65 minutes.

The SF KX1 LED conversion for the E1e is rated at 45 lumens on high and 3 lumens on low, costs $66, should last for years, and has runtime with "useful light levels" of 40 hours. That means it won't run at high for that long but you'd be surprised at how usable a light with only 3 lumens is. Of course, incans and LED's produce different light and there are some uses for either that are better than the other.

The thing to remember/consider is that like most SF lights, the E1e is pretty modular and that gives you options. You can customize your light easily with factory parts. That's just one reason why SF lights are popular here.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the replacement be that much brighter, if any without rechargeables, I'm kind of new here:thinking:

It should appear slightly brighter depending on how used the current SureFire lamp is. The difference in output is not going to blow anyone away, but the advantage to the LumensFactory lamps is that they are cheaper and easier to order internationally. Also their warranty service is excellent.

So it really boils down to what you use the light for and what you'd like the light to do. If you want to keep it an incandescent, and you use the light often, then I suggest getting a rechargeable setup. It is initially more expensive than disposeable batteries, but with frequent use it pays for itself.

If you want to go LED, then you have plenty of options as well.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
Thanks guys! I may try one of those lumens bulbs and see how I like it. I think if I were to totally change things and make it something it's not, I may as well just buy another lamp. I already have an E1L which is very cool and I've been checking out the L1's too. I'll be giving a friend a new EB1 for a gift this weekend and I have a feeling... it's been awfully hard looking at it thru the package window and not being able to open it...
help.gif
:oops:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

What type of runtime would one achieve with this setup? Also, is it really around 90 lumens as it states on the website? This sounds pretty cool!

Thanks,
Robert

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek: Oops, I completely overlooked that on the bulb page. So would 90 bulb lumens translate into about 65-70 out-the-front incandescent lumens?

Thanks.

Runtimes should be stated on the website and output is in bulb lumens.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
90x.65= 58.5. This isn't an exact figure, it can probably vary by as much as ten lumens depending on the state of the flashlight and the quality of the individual bulb and cell. 65-70 torch lumens isn't an impossible figure.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is going a little off topic but the MN01 SF lamp for the E1e is rated at about 15 lumens and costs about $15 (from SF) with a runtime of about 90 minutes. The Lumens Factory HO-E1A is rated at 40 lumens and costs about $12 (at Lighthound) with a runtime of about 65 minutes.

have you ever used the two side by side or are you just using published data?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I should have mentioned that the data was from SureFire and Lighthound. I haven't found reviews with ratings at either the LED Museum or Flashlight Reviews. Having said that, I have an E1e and before I put a Kl1 on it I used it as an incan. 15 is pretty accurate at least by my tired old eyes.

The Lumens Factory bulb sounds interesting enough that I dug out the incan head. Hmmm...

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
a simple search gave me this:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/155626

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/151854

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/156188

keep in mind that a high current draw(over 1.5C) in a E1e will kill a RCR123 very quickly.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the data was from SureFire and Lighthound. I haven't found reviews with ratings at either the LED Museum or Flashlight Reviews. Having said that, I have an E1e and before I put a Kl1 on it I used it as an incan. 15 is pretty accurate at least by my tired old eyes.

The Lumens Factory bulb sounds interesting enough that I dug out the incan head. Hmmm...

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, nice reviews and beam shots but I'm assuming for now that no one has run one in an integrating sphere. The factor for bulb lumens is useful but I haven't seen hard data reviews and pretty much didn't expect to.

For that amount of money (even on my budget) I don't expect a super huge increase in lumens but another 10+ or so ought to be good for an E1e. Looks interesting.