How long more to wait for Fenix to put out an 100 lumens AAA light?

How long more to wait?

• Less than 3 months

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 3-6 months

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • More than 6 months

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • Don't think can be done.

Votes: 8 15.1%

• Total voters

lengendcpf

Enlightened
Hi, been putting off getting the L0D-Q4(max at 75 lumens).
Cause I can see that there are already AAA lights using Q5 bin. AA are using R2 bin,

So I am just playing the waiting game.

Want to get the general feel on how lONG more to wait for Fenix to come out an 100 lumens or more flashlight running on the normal AAA.

Last edited:

mighty82

Enlightened
When they come up with a led 25% more efficient than the Q4. R4 maybe? Or maybe the u bins? Not possible with todays leds.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, is there such a drastic difference between 75 lumens and 100 lumens? My own experience tells me not so much...

It would have to be 150 or more before it may be relevant.

lengendcpf

Enlightened
Hmm, is there such a drastic difference between 75 lumens and 100 lumens? My own experience tells me not so much...

It would have to be 150 or more before it may be relevant.

Just that prefer 3 digits lumens ratings..
That's why CPF is for.

Normal people will say a torchlight is a torchlight, blah blah..
You should know what I mean.:welcome:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have put 3-6 months, which is optimistic but perhaps just about possible. The restriction here is not really the emitter efficiency, but rather the need to guarantee compatibility with alkaline AAA cells. Alkaline cells, particularly AAA are utterly useless at providing enough current for an emitter to be driven to 100 lumens. If Fenix permitted only NiMH and Energizer L91 cells, they could push it beyond 100 lumens with no problem at all.

lengendcpf

Enlightened
I have put 3-6 months, which is optimistic but perhaps just about possible. The restriction here is not really the emitter efficiency, but rather the need to guarantee compatibility with alkaline AAA cells. Alkaline cells, particularly AAA are utterly useless at providing enough current for an emitter to be driven to 100 lumens. If Fenix permitted only NiMH and Energizer L91 cells, they could push it beyond 100 lumens with no problem at all.

Some have put 10440 cells inside their L0Ds-Q4 with absolutely no problems at all. But They also says that the light is too hot to be handled after turning on the high for few seconds. Even that, the output will drop considerably after a while.

What I really want is that Fenix can come out 1 L0D running on those cheap AAA cells that can give that amount of output(100 lumens or more) and can run for reasonable duration.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that is what you want, then I'm afraid that only comes with emitter efficiency. 6 months + by my estimation unfortunately. With Lumileds seriously screwing up the quality issues with the Rebels, Cree have had time to sit on their hands and give them a sporting chance to catch up. We haven't seen a big jump in efficiency for a long time.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi spiderman, dun get what you mean..

You are saying flashlights running on AAA are useless. Should run those 10440?

Or are you saying AAA sized flashlights are useless?
I'm saying AAAs are useless in high-powered lights. They were ok in old 5mm LED lights such as the classic ARC though. If you want brightness and acceptable runtimes you should move to another cell formats. CR123s for example, are the best cells for small size and high brightness.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think OF is referring to the fact that they have very low capacity relative to their size and weight. They are still perfectly acceptable for occasional keychain use though. You are just better sticking to Lithium or Eneloop NiMH cells in this form factor, rather than alkaline.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
L0D Q4= 75 lumens,
Cree R4 bin 115 lumens/W,
Cree Q4 bin 88 lumens/W.

L0D R4 =75*115/88 lumens = 98 lumens.:shakehead

Just 2 lumens short. :devil:

Reference Cree road map:
Creeroadmap.jpg

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
100 is a psychological lumen number....makes you feel better that a light is at least 100 lumens. I am not voting, but i am gonna say maybe mid year they might have it. More likley they will have a new AAA light, rather then just upgrade the LOD

Crenshaw

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
What does the /W means?
Also what does this "75*115/88" means?
lumens/watt is how many lumens you get with 1 watt input.
Multiply the output of the L0D Q4 output 75 lumens by the ratio of the R4 to Q4 LEDs to get the calculated output of an L0D with the R4 LED. Cree has not announced anything beyond the R4 so that is the limit for the current L0D CE series. Of course Fenix can put in a bigger boost circuit and get more lumens that way. Even if they do not they will probably round things up to 100 lumens on the spec sheet. I just cannot resist playing the devil when my initial calculation showed just 2 lumens short.

Fenix has used the top bin LED in their 'premium' torches - TK series, P series, LxD. Then any surplus lower bin LED ends up in the 'cheap' torches - LxT, L0D. So I do not expect an L0D R4 until Fenix has run out of lower bin LEDs (that will take a long time).

EDIT
(see next 2 posts re L0D/10440)
L0D CE NiMH (?P4WD bin) left, L0D CE 10440 (?P3WC bin) right.
The tint difference between the WD and WC is not as noticeable in real life as in the picture but it is there.
L0DNiMH10440.jpg

I am running 10440 in my Ultrafire 602C and RayOvac Hybrids in my L0D CEs.

Last edited:

lengendcpf

Enlightened
lumens/watt is how many lumens you get with 1 watt input.
Multiply the output of the L0D Q4 output 75 lumens by the ratio of the R4 to Q4 LEDs to get the calculated output of an L0D with the R4 LED. Cree has not announced anything beyond the R4 so that is the limit for the current L0D CE series. Of course Fenix can put in a bigger boost circuit and get more lumens that way. Even if they do not they will probably round things up to 100 lumens on the spec sheet. I just cannot resist playing the devil when my initial calculation showed just 2 lumens short.

Fenix has used the top bin LED in their 'premium' torches - TK series, P series, LxD. Then any surplus lower bin LED ends up in the 'cheap' torches - LxT, L0D. So I do not expect an L0D R4 until Fenix has run out of lower bin LEDs (that will take a long time).

Thanks for the explanation..

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just run a 10440 in my LOD Q4 and I get a lot more than 100 lumens. I've heard people claim it's in the 180 lumen range.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
WadeF, it heats up far to much. Sure its bright, but its scary hot even after just 10 seconds.

Crenshaw