Is a modded PT Tec40 as bright as E2?

ake

Newly Enlightened
I have been using a 3 cell (Phillips 3.6 V 750 mA) with 4 NiMh for quite some time and it's fairly bright. It not as bright as a Surge though.

As I don't have E2 or any surefire 2 cells light, could anyone tell me which one is brighter? Also in general, how bright (lumen?) you can get from a mod tec40?

thanks,

ake

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ake,

in the older threads on that topic there were some calculations done on that - just look it up at
Tec 40 vs LX discussion

IMO my Tec 40 w/HPR53 & 4 NiMhs is pretty much as bright as my E2e - slightly inferior beam and maybe brightness too and such is made up for by lower runtime cost
smile.gif

Klaus

D

**DONOTDELETE**

HPR53? Would the HPR50 be brighter?

Which brand are you using? I remember someone tried a halogen which didn't quite fit in the Tec40.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm happy with the 3D Rayovac they sell at WalMart. I tried the bulbs that came with my 3D Maglite & they're good, but not better. TX

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there Someguy,

the HPR50 is a 5.2V 850ma and the HPR53 is 4V 0.85ma - the HPR50 is underdriven by 4 NiMhs whereas the HPR53 is overdriven - see my calc on the lumen / lifetime in the older thread. The issue with the length of the Halogens is still there but one must check one out - the variations in length seem to be higher then with the other designs. The HPR53 seem to be the most efficient but can get blown easily with cells fresh out of the charger - Alan switched to the more voltage-tolerant and cheaper standard 3 cell krypton bulbs cause of that.

Klaus