What are your parents worth?

So how much is your mom or dad worth? (Max)

• $5.00 a month

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • $10.00 a month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $15.00 a month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than $15.00 a month

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Nothing.

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am planning to start a small business that will supply a service similar to, but not as expensive as, the ones that supply pendants that you push in an emergency.
There are several reasons for this and I added one this morning. A friends mother lay on the floor for two days before they checked up on her.
Daughter, "Why didn't you push the button?"
Mom, "I didn't want to bother anybody."

So how much is you mom or dad worth?

I will assume "nothing" means they don't live alone or have a great will :)

Last edited:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't they just hang a little cell phone around their neck now ?

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't they just hang a little cell phone around their neck now ?

Most services hang a pendant which transmits to a local device hooked to the phone. It is relatively expensive and as I'm finding out a lot of people don't use it.
In any event I'm looking to do something a bit different and quite a bit cheaper.
If they need the pendant X-10 has one which works fine although usually they want the d***** siren disabled.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most services hang a pendant which transmits to a local device hooked to the phone. It is relatively expensive and as I'm finding out a lot of people don't use it.

Actually I meant wouldn't people with older parents just give them a small cell phone instead of a "service" pendant ? I suppose there might be special cases, but you'd be checking in on them regularly anyway.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
If you are willing to pay Mike Painter thousands a month to check on your parents, I will bet you will be his first customer. :lolsign:

That's not what he asked. He asked what are your parents worth, which is not a question that correlates with a Lifeline pendant service. That would have required a question like how much would you be willing to spend on a service/device like LifeLine if your parents wanted/needed it? My answer to that would be to first find a service that works effectively, that they understand, and are willing to have it setup the way they want. Then whatever that would cost, I would pay it. I would not approach something like this from how cheap can we make a service that affects the care of a loved one. That's the wrong sales/promotional approach

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I meant wouldn't people with older parents just give them a small cell phone instead of a "service" pendant ? I suppose there might be special cases, but you'd be checking in on them regularly anyway.

It depends on the situation. In general, I'd say it would not be a good idea for most of the people in my target market. The pendants have a long lasting battery and can be carried/worn all the time. It's hard to do this with a cell phone.

Lux, you said, "I would pay it. I would not approach something like this from how cheap can we make a service that affects the care of a loved one. That's the wrong sales/promotional approach"

You are an exception. In my 30's I drove a cab for seniors and now at 67 I work around them a lot. Up until last year I was active as an EMT in my community. There are large numbers who live alone and never or rarely hear from their kids.
For many, $30.00 a month is well beyond what they can afford.

(Note that "old people" are the others and not you. I constantly hear people well into their 80's talking about helping the "old people")

zpaulg

Newly Enlightened
Your parents are priceless!

Believe me, both mine are dead, sad to say.

If you haven't said you love them today and given them a hug you are sorely remiss!!!

Do it now and thank me whenever!

This is the best advice you will ever receive. No duff!!!