Surefire E1e - broken lens & tailcap - PROBLEM RESOLVED

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE THREADS HAVE BEEN MERGED.
-> Post #1 is the start of the thread 'Anything to worry about?'
-> Post #7 is the start of the cover-story thread "Please tell me this is some sort of sick joke.'

I have a Surefire E1e with the Lumen Factory/AW upgrades. This has now become my favorite 'go-to' EDC light. It is quick to use, feels solid in the hand and now has a decent, usable output, particularly outdoors.:thumbsup:

However, whilst admiring my purchase, I looked carefully at the edge of the pyrex window, and spotted a discontinuity in the glass crystal. It is not quite a crack, but rather a small wafer of crystal within the glass, perhaps 1mm x 0.5mm. I reckon it lies just below the surface of the outer edge, but it is difficult to tell due to the optical characteristics of it.:faint:

My question is this, should I not worry about it, and only worry if it gets worse or should I get straight onto the email to Surefire? Please remember that I am in the UK, so customer service is more awkward than that for a US resident. My concern is that, with heat-cycling stress, it may develop into a full-blown crack.:devil:

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anything to worry about?

My question is this, should I not worry about it, and only worry if it gets worse or should I get straight onto the email to Surefire? Please remember that I am in the UK, so customer service is more awkward than that for a US resident. My concern is that, with heat-cycling stress, it may develop into a full-blown crack.:devil:

Hard to tell without a picture, but my A2 has something similar. It has been there more or less since I got it (a couple of years ago) and has been through countless batteries with no ill effects. I don't know how the heat generated by LF lamp assemblies compares to that of the MA02, though.

Regards,
Tempest

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, the LF High Output bulb gives out roughly 60 Surefire lumens using the usual 65% output to bulb lumen ratio, which is exactly the same as the SF E2e, which uses the same head. Is it supposed to be there? (a product of the manufacturing process maybe)

chuck4570

Enlightened

Mike if you are uncomfortable with the lens, then by all means contact Surefire about it. There is no sense waiting until something goes drastically wrong before it gets replaced, and just hope the lens lasts until the new one arrives.

Chuck

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm fairly sure that the artifact on my A2 got there from a bezel-first drop or two :ohgeez:

It can indeed be a pain sending something back to SureFire from the UK, but it's better than having a broken E1e on your hands, in which case you'd pretty much have to send it back. I'd phone SureFire and describe the problem, perhaps send some photos if possible and see if they think it needs sending in, or if it's just cosmetic.

Regards,
Tempest

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I emailed Surefire customer services, and they are sending a new bezel out to me. Turned out to be a very good job I did too. Just today, my E1e fell the dizzying 3 feet from my belt to a tiled floor. I picked it up to find the pyrex window shattered in another corner!:rant:

For such a supposedly tough light, it hasn't lasted very well. I just hope this was due to a freak flawed window, and that the new bezel will prove more hardwearing.:sigh:

...Until then, I shall resort back to my trusty Fenix L1T V2.0 for belt-mounted rear-clicky duty. I've dropped that several times on the same floor with no problems at all :twothumbs:

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please tell me this is some kind of SICK joke!

Just over one month ago, I purchased my first Surefire. It was an E1e and I have carried it on my belt. However, whilst inspecting it one day, I noticed a small crack in the Pyrex window, available to read here;

Anything to worry about?

Since that, the light has dropped from my belt to the solid floor, and the Pyrex window shattered yet further. I emailed Surefire, and a new head is on the way. Great!:thumbsup: Anyway, I went to change-out the cell today, and found the spring had come loose. I unscrewed the tail-cap to investigate, and....

THE PLASTIC SPRING TABS WERE BROKEN!!! :rant: !!!

So, this supposedly superior, hard-as nails Surefire passed through QC with an imperfection in the lens, and has now been totally DESTROYED by a three-foot drop. It no longer works due to the damage.:thumbsdow I have dropped FENIX, Maglites and Lummi lights from heights much greater than this onto solid floor with NO ILL EFFECTS whatsoever :thumbsup:

So, I now have to send ANOTHER email to Surefire Customer Services, and request a yet another new part :sick2: Needless to say, my reliable Fenix L1T V2.0 will permanently return to belt-holstered EDC duties. I need a light I can rely on!:twothumbs:

In Surefire's defence, the G2 I purchased is holding up very well indeed.:grin2:

Sorry to rant guys, but this really got my goat!

Zenster

Enlightened
Re: Please tell me this is some kind of SICK joke!

Well Mike, Surefire makes a TON of lights. Their annual sales in number of units must be staggering.
So with all those Surefires out there, I'm thinking that you just got the occasional "lemon". It happens to the very best of manufactured products.

If it makes you feel any better, I use my E1B at work every day which results in it being dropped on concrete quite often.
I use it for peeking into machinery while working so my hands get oily and slippery all the time, and that E1B is even more slippery without the knurling.

It's usually dropped from a height of between 2 and 4 feet, and I've lost count of the number of times it's hit the floor. I'm guessing at least 20 times by now, and it looks like hell to prove it.
Still, it lights up every time and the lens is still undamaged other than light scratches.

Maybe you don't abuse your's enough? :crackup:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe you don't abuse your's enough? :crackup:

Oddly enough, I know a few things that are like that. The 3.3 engine in the Traxxas Revo R/C monster truck actually appears to be more reliable when you are driving it like you shouldn't.

Thanks for the reassurance, and real-world testing of the E1B :grin2: . Gives me some assurance that I did perhaps just get a lemon. I'm not having a lot of luck at the moment, my Leatherman Juice Xe6 was a 'dead-on-arrival' too. It did not close properly at all. Took me a few 1000 miles back to the UK to realize it though. Oh well, at least they have a local UK repair centre.

I just worry about how much time it will be out of action. I have heard that some European warranty shipments have taken over 6 months :caution:

From now on, I won't be buying that shoddy USA-made stuff. I'll stick to quality 'Built in Britain' goods such as Lummi :nana:...

...just kidding guys. I know better than to generalise based on just two substandard products.

Best wishes to all,

Mike:wave:

generic808

Enlightened

Wow, I think you really did get a lemon. I own 10+ SF's and I've never had anything go wrong with any of them. For some reason, my duty 6P used to always roll off my patrol car and somehow ALWAYS managed to land bezel first, onto the pavement. And this all happened in slow motion, time and time and time again. Yet it never failed on me, ever. Of course I had the expected dings, chips, scratches, etc., but never has the lens cracked, or anything else. I swear by SF.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Mike, Having owned Triumphs, MG's and BSA's I'm an expert in all things British.

Know why Limeys drink warm beer? Lucas refrigerators.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well Mike, Surefire makes a TON of lights. Their annual sales in number of units must be staggering.
So with all those Surefires out there, I'm thinking that you just got the occasional "lemon". It happens to the very best of manufactured products.
Hey, i dont mean to start an arguement..:)

point....a common arguement for surefire is that they never fail. And like, people depend on it for thier lives. So...what happens if a LEO is depending on his e1e to turn on, but it doesnt cos its a lemon..

just a thought..;)

Crenshaw

kramer5150

Flashaholic

wow that sucks... hopefully SF will step up to the plate and replace the damaged parts. Yours is the first I have heard of a twist-cap failing. I wonder why they have ANY plastic in there at all? The 6P is an all metal construction. If this is problematic over a population I hope they are addressing it with some kind of re-design. A 3 foot drop shouldn't kill a light in that price range.

Good Luck, and please do post back your impressions of SF customer service.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Mike, Having owned Triumphs, MG's and BSA's I'm an expert in all things British.

Know why Limeys drink warm beer? Lucas refrigerators.

Strewth, please don't remind me of the whole MG/Rover fiasco. Not exactly the proudest products of the UK. They were alright cars, just boring.

In fact, I struggle to name any decent mass-produced vehicles in the UK. There are some fantastic niche manufacturers such as Ariel, Caterham, Noble and Lotus to name a few.

And do Lucas refrigerators even exist anymore???:thinking:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh yes, kramer, the E1e has a click-switch, not a momentary/twist. I have a Surefire G2 as well, and that switching mechanism seems rock-solid.

I held the bezel of the E1e between my fingers and squeezed it. I could hear broken glass creaking. Almost to me seems like the bezel is too soft, and so the impact transferred straight to the Pyrex. I'm getting a whole new bezel anyway, so that should be sorted.

Actually, they say they are sending a new bezel. Do you think they mean head? If not, I hope they include instructions with regard to removing the bezel because it does not seem to budge for me.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Oh yes, kramer, the E1e has a click-switch, not a momentary/twist. I have a Surefire G2 as well, and that switching mechanism seems rock-solid.

Aah that clears things up a bit. It didn't sound right... plastic in a SF twistie?

thanks and good luck with SF CS.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, I'm not sure Lucas ever made fridges. Just something to yell at the Triumph driver at the stoplight.

Had a buddy in the 60's that had an Ariel Square4. I'll always lust after one of those.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

BRING BACK THE Z52!!!!

sorry, it just slipped out. :D

+1,000,000

I try to get a word in on that anytime I email or talk to Sure-Fire.

Always get the standard response, "I'm sorry, but the Z52 is no longer available."

:mad: