help on Mod ing my surefire 6p

xlanc3

Newly Enlightened
i have a question. i am about to order the bug out Cree Q5 Drop in module 230 lumens LED for my surefire 6p. do i need to do other things to it or no? what batteries should i use? whats the runtime?

Last edited:

dano101

Enlightened
Well, if your spending the $50 on a BOG Q5 (not that they are not a great drop-in) id consider a Malkoff M60 first. For drop-ins you dont need to do anything at all to them (except on some remove ((pull off)) the extra unnecessary coiled ring on them). You have 2 options for batteries. rechargeable or non rechargeable. In my humble opinion id go with rechargeables. Pick up a couple of AWRCR123's and your set. To be honest i dont know ablout the runtime cuz im a 20 minute night dog walker, then i recharge after each walk. you would probably get more runtime off of a 17670 battery but wouldnt have quite the output. Ive always been the type though to prefer output over runtime.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're willing to go Malkoff, here's what I know: any combination of batteries below 9v is fine, and they drop out of regulation and run direct-drive at 3.7 volts. A pair of rechargeable (AW's new ones look nice) or primary 123a cells will do fine.

Really, any further upgrades are entirely discretionary as well, the dropin isn't dependent on them to run.

Darien

Newly Enlightened
I can't comment on the BOG Q5, but I can on the Malkoff. I think the Malkoff is very nice and you would be well pleased. Check it out.:D

Darien

Norm

Retired Administrator
This post might interest you.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2432070&postcount=134
Stu's BOG Q5 prem+ on 2xCR123 primaries is a teeny bit brighter than my DX R2 dropin running on 2xRCR123 Li-ons. Beam profile was identical... both a bit ringy. Andrew's Malkoff M60 was the brightest, not sure what cells he was using, but I have to admit all 3 were VERY CLOSE in terms of brightness, however the Malkoff's beam was very smooth with no rings. For what I paid, I'm more than happy with my DX R2 even though it was barely, just barely, not as bright as the Malkoff & BOG. The differences in output was so small that some people could not see the differences in brightness...

It all comes down to how much you wanna spend. Personally, I don't think you'd be any worse off if you bought the DX R2...
Norm

ghostguy6

Enlightened
I noticed that there was some shorting because the electronics are not insulated by the center contact on the pill. I put a coat of silicone rubber around the contact and it has been working great.

Force Attuned

Enlightened
A newb question..with the Malkoff drop-ins, do you have to take off the outer plastic lens, or is it meant to stay on?? It kinda looks like it doesn't belong there...

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolf Eyes R2 WC. Nice tint. Visually brighter than the Wolf Eyes Q5. I'll post some beamshots this week.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
230 lumens? Can I not convince you to stay with the incandescent crowd and get this little monster...:devil:? (Click the devil)

I do not know if it produces 380 lumens with 2x AW123a cells as it does with three primaries. I reckon it will though because the Li-ion cells should not sag as much under load. That would be one awesome 6P then.

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
230 lumens? Can I not convince you to stay with the incandescent crowd and get this little monster...:devil:? (Click the devil)

I do not know if it produces 380 lumens with 2x AW123a cells as it does with three primaries. I reckon it will though because the Li-ion cells should not sag as much under load. That would be one awesome 6P then.

6p Runs off of 2 CR123s, that is for the 9P
I have both the lumens factory lamp and the Malkoff M60, go for the M60 it has a very natural color, much warmer than most LEDs... The Lumens factory is too warm for my taste and eat up 3 primaries in about 20 min.

ElGreco

Newly Enlightened
A newb question..with the Malkoff drop-ins, do you have to take off the outer plastic lens, or is it meant to stay on?? It kinda looks like it doesn't belong there...

The Malkoff uses an optical reflector as opposed to most other drop-ins which use a tradionial aluminium reflector. Yes it is supposed to be there. It lets Gene encase the module in a brass housing which turns into an amazing heat spreader.

xlanc3,
Alternativley, as Mikesalt proposed, you can stick with incandescents and run the LF EO-9 on two rechargable 123a (which together top out at roughly 8.4 volts, which is why they can drive the 9v LF lamp). It would certainly be the brightest you'd get out of an incandescent in your 6P. But the choice between LED and incandescent is up to you.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

It stays on to protect the TIR optic, and nothing gets in the way like that.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Two 3.7v rcr123s should not be used with this lamp. While the voltage might be right, the lamp draws too much from those small cells. A SureFire P90 is about the highest you want to go with rcr123s.