Provigil(Modafanil) Good, bad, ugly??

gallagho

Enlightened
I have been diagnosed with a sleeping disorder(DSPS) :sleepy:

Hence the flashlight hobby I guess!

I rarely sleep and I'm a 'night owl' as a result I always feel rough
during the day.

Doc suggested Provigil, has anybody else tried this? Any side effects?

Owen

LEDMaster2003_V2

Newly Enlightened
Greta is correct, Provigil is used to help people stay awake throughout the day. I'm actually on it.

reptiles

Enlightened
In the emergency department where I used to work, 70% of the ER residents would take them during their 12 hour shifts.

I would suspect there might be some abuse potential there, but they seem very useful for shift workers.

=MM

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Air Force pilots use Provigil on long missions. If it's good enough to pilot multi-hundred-million-dollar aircraft for several thousand miles over foreign lands, I'd say it'll work for you.

yekim

Enlightened
I work shifts and thought I'd try it....for $8 a pill it was not worth it, I only took it once. I think it is one of those things where it gets more effective over time but it would run me into the poorhouse paying for the stuff. I can buy alot of coffee for $8.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, instead of treating what's causing the Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome, the Docs, instead, prescribe a pill to keep you awake?

Interesting...Maybe you should just embrace the fact that you're a "night" person and adjust accordingly (if that's possible).

-dan

jtr1962

Flashaholic
So, instead of treating what's causing the Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome, the Docs, instead, prescribe a pill to keep you awake?

Interesting...Maybe you should just embrace the fact that you're a "night" person and adjust accordingly (if that's possible).
+1 on that. Between school and work I tried for years to live a day schedule. In the end I just couldn't do it. The result of trying was feeling dead tried literally all the time. At $8 a pill plus the distinct possibility of long term liver and kidney damage (as is the case with practically any drug) Provigil is NOT a long term solution. Perhaps if you have to do a day shift once or twice a month it might help, but if an otherwise healthy person needs to take drugs to function then I'd suggest a schedule or career change. Nothing is worth damaging your health over.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
*raises hand* I have DSPS too...

Well, I think I do, at least. It's not been diagnosed, but all symptoms point to that, so I'm just coming to the logical conclusion. :p

I agree with the "just embrace it" philosophy (it's what I did), but it isn't always possible.

Last edited: