Should I Have My Fenix P2D CE Modded?

jag-engr

Enlightened
The first Fenix P2D that I got was a black Rebel 100. I love that light. The warm color of the Rebel emitter reminds me of a very white incadescent light.

I recently picked up a natural Fenix P2D CE on CPF. The natural finish on the light is nice - I wish that I could have found a natural with the Rebel emmitter! The Cree isn't that much dimmer than the Rebel, but I don't like the blue tint or the dark rings on the Cree.

I'm considering having the emitter modded, but I have some questions:

What is the brightest emitter to date, with preference being given to warmer colored emitters?

Can anyone recommend someone to do a mod?

How does the Q5 Cree compare to the Rebel and original Cree in color tone?

If the Q5 is warmer and less ringy than the older Cree, I might just sell the older Cree and buy a Q5 or a Rebel.

Thanks in advance for your input.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking for a P2D in a natural finish with the Rebell 100 emitter, check out lightninghound.com. They still have them. Unfortunately, the one I purchased recently from them had a problem with brief flashing as you shifted light levels. When I complained about mine, they checked several in stock and found that all of the natural finished ones had this this problem; they are the remaining ones that came from an older batch. The newer black rebel p2d's he has are fine. If the brief flash doesn't bother you, and you really want a natural p2d, getting it from them may be an easier option than doing a mod.

jag-engr

Enlightened
Hmmm... I don't think I want a light that flashes as I change modes.

I've considered having the P2D updated with an R2 emitter. I'm thinking that David at Fenix-Store might be able to do that, as he has apparently done emitter mods in the past.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
jag-engr

If memory serves me correctly, the 'light-engine' in the P2D encapsulates the driver, heatsink and emitter in one unit. Basically, if you want you to swap light engines between your black and natural lights, I am pretty sure you can unscrew them from the head. It takes some force to break the threadlock, but it is possible. Send a private message to CPF member Nereus. He is the ultimate pro where it comes to Fenix disassembly.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... I don't think I want a light that flashes as I change modes.

I've considered having the P2D updated with an R2 emitter. I'm thinking that David at Fenix-Store might be able to do that, as he has apparently done emitter mods in the past.
I am not sure what you are looking for with the R2 updated P2D. I didn't think it was particularly well known for its warm color as is the Rebel. However, I could be wrong on about the R2's tint since I don't own an R2. Perhaps other could comment on the R2.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen R2 emitters sold by themselves in WG and WH color bin. In complete lights WC bin.