Smallest practical form factor for a P7 light

Bronco

Enlightened
Ask the title suggests, what would you guys consider to be the smallest practical form factor for running a single P7 emitter in the upper end of its output range (approx 900 lumens, if my understanding is correct) for a period of around one hour? Forget about flood vs. throw characteristics for the moment - and the obvious effect that will have on reflector size. I'm thinking more of the minimum battery requirement to achieve this level of performance.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to know this as well, though I'm not necessarily interested in the smallest form factor possible. I wonder what are the forward voltage and upper current specifications of the P7. This should be fairly easy to figure out with that information.

Bronco

Enlightened
I would like to know this as well, though I'm not necessarily interested in the smallest form factor possible. I wonder what are the forward voltage and upper current specifications of the P7. This should be fairly easy to figure out with that information.

I hear you ampdude. Maybe it would be better to just consider different battery types and pose the question along the lines of, at 900 lumen output, what would be a realistic runtime for a single 18650, what would be possible for two 123As, or for three 123As, or for a single rechargeable D cell, etc. etc. Perhaps we could even address the differences we might see with direct drive versus regulated, boosted, etc.

I see Drew is already helping us out.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The smallest cell you could use for 1 hour runtime would have about 12 watt hours of capacity, so something slightly bigger than a 18650.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're happy with a bit less light, then a 18650. Otherwise something like a LiIon C-sized cell would be required.

Bronco

Enlightened
you have this one with a P7 : http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12271

driving current = 2.8 A
VF = 3.6 V

see all specifications and datazsheet here : http://www.seoulsemicon.com/en/product/prd/zpowerLEDp7.asp

JP

Thanks, JP. I did see that one. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I'm getting from the early reviews that are out lead me to believe that the emitter in this light is not being driven at full capacity. I may have that wrong though.

Bronco

Enlightened
If you're happy with a bit less light, then a 18650. Otherwise something like a LiIon C-sized cell would be required.

With the proper electronics, would it be possible to get something close to 900 lumens from a single newer LSD type NiMH C or D cell?

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
At PF10, Data had a reflectorless Spy005 (mule?) with a P7 in it. Pretty small form factor there.

MSax

bdsmchs

Newly Enlightened
3 x CR123A would be perfect for this, and then a big reflector. It believe that kind of flashlight would have a nice size and form.

I have to agree with this. 3xCR123 would be perfect for this. The cells can take the power draw and the whole package would not be too much longer than a 1x18650.

Flash007

Enlightened
:)

2x 18500 or 2x 18650 body (I prefer this last configuration).
Large and deep reflector for throw with some spill.

I have received the Eastward YJ-XAQ5 (1x 18650 body) today from KD and it's areal monster thrower ! It has large bezel/head, reflector is large and deep, and overall very thick (good for heat dissipation).
Build like a tank. Good host for P7 (I'm not expert however).

This flashlight coupled with a P7 and 2x 18650 body would give maximum load for the P7 with decent runtime.

But I think we need to wait a little yet to obtain efficient drivers for the P7.

With 2x 18650, P7 will be driven @2,8A for ~90 minutes.
Excellent runtime regarding to the output delivered.
Coupled with High-Mid-Low-Strobe (100%-20%-2%-Strobe) capable driver, it would be very versatile.

:)

Latest posts