Streamlight Super Tac

GreySave

Enlightened
I know that this has been discussed before and many folks tend to favor the more powerful Dereelights and Tiablos, but I thought I would throw this out there for those folks who like me may be looking for something to fill a specific niche at the best possible price.

I just acquired a Super Tac from the good folks at Brightguy. I elected to go that route because I wanted a light with momentary capability that would fill in the gap between my standard lights and the HID lantern that I use for the really long distance tasks. Since I truly use my lights I was also looking for a lifetime warranty.

The Super Tac was a pleasant surprise. Since I did not use a measured site to test the light I cannot quote specific numbers, but based upon daylight eyeballing of the open fields and tree lines in the totally dark area of the county I was operating in there is little doubt that the Super Tac will throw a very useable beam well beyond 300 feet.

The first thing that you must be able to get by to enjoy this light is the HUGE head where the reflector resides. If the size is a deal breaker for you then do not even consider this light. The light itself is surprisingly well balanced once the batteries are installed. Fit and finish are good, but do not expect a SureFire feel to it. I like the feel of the tailcap switch. Momentary is very easy to apply and hold if desired. It does take a fairly firm press to engage the forward clicky, but I like that as it prevents any accidental locking on of the light. The tailcap does feature a quarter turn lockout. The LED is perfectly centered in the reflector and while the lens and reflector may not be perfect, there are no glaring defects that would impair output.

The output is a fairly tight beam with a decent sized hotspot and dimmer side spill.....just enough to prevent tunnel vision. The tint on mine is very white. I did not observes any rings or artifacts of any kind. Color rendition seemed fairly good, although that may just be the result of the large amount of light being deposited on the target.

The holster is equally large and, when the light is being carried there some folks might mistake it for a side arm at first glance due to its size and the snap closure, so you might be wise to restrict where you take it. The snap closure is quite tight and takes some effort to open or close. I am hoping that it becomes easier with use.

Overall I really like the Super Tac. Although it is certainly not the best of the throwers that are available, it delivers excellent throw at a reasonable price with a great warranty.

GreySave

Enlightened
Sorry. Even though photography is a hobby of mine, finding time to take and upload photographs is just about impossible. I have had and will for the balance of the week have meetings every evening followed by a 30 hour exercise that runs from early Saturday monring into around noon on Sunday.

There are a couple of existing threads about this light and a good review written by another CPFer on the Brightguy.com web site. That review also has some very good photographs that help to place the size of the head in perspective.