Ask for help!! "I can't agree you anymore"...

Tsao

Newly Enlightened
Hi

My friend said "I can't agree you anymore" or "I can't agree with you anymore"

I can't get it! I don't think these two sentences are correct? Am I miss something?

Thanks in Adv. for any input

Tsao

Newly Enlightened
Sorry !

I forgot to note my friend was agree my opinion.

So I don't think he use the right words.

thanks

Alan

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
Its actually "I can't agree with you more."

or "I couldn't agree with you more."

so technically "I can't agree with you anymore." is wrong.

bitslammer

Enlightened
This can be confusing because while the meaning of the sentence is a positive affirmation of agreement, the word "couldn't" or words "could not" may confuse people whose first language isn't English given that not has negative meaning. I don't mean to say that the word "not" is "bad, it is negative in a grammatical sense.

What is meant by the phrase "I could not agree with you more" is that the speaker is in fact 100%, or in total, agreement with you, and as such can't agree more.

Odd when you break it down but makes sense.

LED BriCK

Enlightened
Probably "anymore" (ie "ever again in the future") is supposed to be "any more" (ie "not even a little bit more).

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably "anymore" (ie "ever again in the future") is supposed to be "any more" (ie "not even a little bit more).

If someone had been in agreement with you for a period of time and then either you or they changed thier argument/position then they could cease to be in agreement with you. In this case "I can't agree with you anymore" would be correct.

If you were trying to say that you agreed with someone completely then you could say "I couldn't agree with you more", "I couldn't agree with you any more" would also be understood. i.e. they couldn't agree with you more or any more than they already do!

"I can't agree you anymore" strictly does not make sense but could be understood if it was associated with a particular slang or dialect.

When you try and explain this it really makes you realise how tough this stuff is as a second language:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tsao

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all.

I got it!

I think it must be associated with a particular slang or dialect.

When I'd began to prepare of my phd thesis. Then, I realised how

tough this stuff is as a second language.

Hodsta, "I couldn't agree with you more"