• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired High current 3AA>1D - 18AA>6D battery adapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdocod

Flashaholic
High current 3AA, 6AA, 9AA, 12AA, 15AA, 18AA to 2-6D adapters.

Continued from: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2346677#post2346677
Starting a fresh sales thread, as the old thread was getting painfully long.

CLOSED

Please Go Here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2849142#post2849142

(This thread is old/closed)

advo.jpg

Welcome to the Odd Mods sales thread.

Availability and pricing is listed below, PMs that ask about availability will simply be referred back to this thread. If you aren't sure about availability after reading this post, please respond with your question in this thread, not in a PM. My PM box fills up really fast with lots of questions that belong in this thread. Multiple people may benefit from the answer to 1 question. -Thank You

These are "garage crafted" adapters for use in maglite modifications. Production isn't "laser guided" or "CNC machined." Sporting a Semi-Crude design here! These are definitely function over form, but they do the job very well and are pretty durable. These adapters are built from acetal "Delrin" and nylon plastics, in conjunction with hand cut/punched copper sheet and various common brass and steel fasteners. These should be considered user serviceable.

These are an excellent alternative to the "budget" 3AA adapters found around the net as they will handle the demands of high current applications without meltdown :)

If you want to build your own:
Here's a link to instructions. I give this information free for those who want to try to build adapters for personal use.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2383339#post2383339

These adapters can sustain repeated disassembly without malfunction. If you wish to remove cells after each use for independent cell charging this adapter is up to the challenge. The adapter will crush cells before breaking in my experience, so be careful tightening that tailcap-nut down!....

-------------------------------------------------------
Availability and Pricing

3AA adapters now available!
Here's a picture:
100_3368.jpg

Serial Adapters:

3AA>1D ~3.6V: SOLD OUT, $25 each *NEW PRODUCT*
6AA>2D ~7.2V: SOLD OUT $20 each *NEW improved version*
9AA>3D ~10.8V: $22 each *NEW improved version*
12AA>4D ~14.4V: SOLD OUT, $26 each *NEW improved version*
15AA>5D ~18.0V: Discontinued for now, special order only, post interest before payment please; $30 each
18AA>6D ~21.6V: SOLD OUT, $34 each *NEW improved version*

Parallel/Series Adapters:
I don't keep stock on these, but I'll make them special order as they are requested, post interest in this thread and I'll get back to you when they are ready to ship for payment. Keep in mind that NIMH D size cells are a better power solution than parallel adapters. These are for special circumstances only. The "parallel/series" adapters wire banks of cells in parallel, and rows in series, so 3 AA cells displace a D cell providing the same voltage as the same length of D cells.

-

Domestic orders of 3 or more adapters, ship free. For international orders of 3 or more, add $2 for each adapter, If you are ordering 5 or more adapters, please contact me by PM to verify availability and to receive a reduced pricing for the large order.

-

Shipping: 3AA and 6AA adapters:
USA/Canada: $1.50 for first adapter, $1.00 for second adapter.
International: $4.00 for first adapter, $2.00 for second adapter.

-

Shipping: 9AA and 12AA adapters:
USA/Canada: $2.25 for first adapter, $1.50 for second adapter.
International: $5.00 for first adapter, $2.50 for second adapter.

-

Shipping: 15AA and 18AA adapters:
USA/Canada: $3.00 for first adapter, $2.00 for second adapter.
International: $6.00 for first adapter, $3.00 for second adapter.

-

If you are ordering 2 different sizes, pay the "for first adapter" price on the largest size adapter you are ordering, and add the "for second adapter" price for the other adapter being ordered.

Send Paypal to [email protected]
Only send payment for adapters listed with availability above. (with enough quantity remaining)

Please make note that you have sent payment and what for in this thread, I'll follow up here and make note of whose items have been shipped as frequently as possible.

Please include CPF username and order details in paypal notes.

Colorado sales tax applies for Colorado residents, Please include 2.9% if you are living in Colorado, I'll cover the occasional in-county/RTA sales tax out of pocket if you live in my county (to keep things simple.) Thank You!

Charging leads (with alligator jacks) are included with all adapters at no additional cost.

IMPORTANT: The 6AA>2D adapter is slightly longer than 2D cells, it's closer to ~126-128mm from the tip of the acorn nut to the face of the washer on the tail end. It fits fine in maglights and results in higher spring tension, which should = lower resistance. If you intend to use this adapter in some other flashlight this might be important to know as I'm not sure if it will fit all 2D size applications. Other adapter sizes may also vary +/- a few mm from the standard cell length, it's simply a matter of tolerances, which aren't very tight when dealing with typical garage tools. The functionality should not be effected.

"Fine Print:"
*Adapters are NOT stackable, they will not make electrical contact when stacked, sets of 2D size adapters will not fit in 4 and 6D mags, they are too long. Pricing subject to minor changes, batteries not included. Please do not try to hold me responsible if you blow yourself up with one of these packs. Please follow instructions below carefully to keep things safe. Not responsible for damaged cells or burnt out bulbs :)

----------------------------------------------------------
100_2753.jpg

loading instructions

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2346677#post2346677

If you have ANY questions, and the instructions don't cover it, PLEASE contact me, I want your use of these adapters to be rewarding and safe. PM or email me, I'll try to answer any questions I can.

install-nut.jpg

Series adapters:
Pull the end caps away from each-other until they are flush with the nuts on both ends of the threaded rods, this should leave plenty of room to slip the cells in place. Start by loading the channel that has no nut on either end. Face cells in this channel with positive towards the bottom of the adapter (away from acorn nut). The thin wafer/s with holes in it/them should be aligned between cells, the positive button of the cells should go through the holes on the wafers. Now adjust the nut on the base of the adapter to apply gentle pressure on these cells so they hold steady. Now install cells in the remaining 2 channels, both facing positive towards the acorn nut (top of adapter).
*Installing the cells for the first time does require a bit of patience, but once you have done it a few times you'll quickly develop the technique, it's just a matter of having the right amount of tension on the adapter as you "slip" cells into position. If you are having trouble installing the cells, just slap some rubber bands around the adapter while you install the cells, this will be like giving you some "helping hands" to hold cells in place while loading other cells, by using the "rubber band" method, you don't need to "snug up" the end cap until after all the cells are installed, after tightening it up, and making sure all the cells are seated inward as far as possible, remove the rubber bands and you are ready to rock.
Parallel adapters:
Same as above but all cells in the adapter should face the same direction instead. Positive towards the acorn nut on the top of the adapter.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6. To complete the installation of the cells. Use a pair of pliers, or socket, or wrench, to tighten the hex nut on the bottom of the carrier a turn or 3. (Until the cells are snug and held firm, but not smashed)

Over-tightening the adapter will crush cells! just snug it up a bit, test for tightness by trying to "shift" a cells around a little in the adapter. Tighten in small increments, I find that once the cells are "in place" and the end caps are touching the cells, it only take about 1 turn of the nut to apply sufficient pressure. Once you have done it a couple times you will get the feel for it.

4.jpg

After snugging down the cells with the nut on the end-cap, inspect the adapter and insure that all of the cells are flush against the wafers, if they aren't lined up quite right, just try shimmying the cells into position, it should "pop" into place.

These wafers help hold the cells in place. The positive button on the cell goes through the holes on the wafer, the result is everything holding together nice and snug without trying to "pop" out. 6AA adapters do not *need* these wafers, but are included anyways. If you received a 6AA adapter without a wafer, and would like one, PM me, I'll mail one to you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optional Spring mod.
spring-mod.jpg

The mag spring has a pretty sharp edge to the end of the spring winding, this edge likes to catch on the flat top screw on the base of the adapter and spin the adapter around inside the barrel of the tube as it's being removed. To alleviate this "grabbing" that can sometimes occur, a quick grinding of the tip of the spring, be it on a grinding wheel, the side of a cutoff wheel, a sharpening stone, a rock, whatever, will improve the behavior with these adapters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank You for looking,
Eric @ Odd Mods

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Recieved my adaptor today. Fast shipping!! So far so good: the ROP lives! Now I just need it to get dark ;)

Thanks Eric :thumbsup:

Nick

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll try and remember to check back...
I want a 3AA>1D. I assume they're a bit longer than a standard D right?

That 18AA>6D it also tempting me. :D

mdocod

Flashaholic
Yea I'm experimenting with the 3AA design trying to shrink it down. The last one I made that had very thin end caps (less than 1/8th inch) and very small screws, still ended up being over 70mm long.

The 18AA is fun... I use one with a prototype high current switch assembly to drive MR16 lamps. The 50W axial filament "spot" bulbs that can be found in hardware stores for about $3 each are spectacular!

Dopes6070

Newly Enlightened
PP Sent $42 for:

1 ea 9 AA to 3 D adapter
1 ea 6 AA to 2 D adapter

Thanks!

Dopes6070

Newly Enlightened
Ill take one of those 18AA to 6 D ones off your hands as well.

$35 Sent Just now Thanks!

Deputy T.

Newly Enlightened
Haven't had time to respond. My adapter arrived last week Friday. I'm very impressed. The plastic is much stronger than I expected. Excellent product.

Thanks Mdocod.

Status
Not open for further replies.