A2

Wolfman

Newly Enlightened
After having it for 2 weeks now, I am ready to write a short review.

Comparing it with my M2, the full beam is slightly more diffused, so at a distance M2 appears a bit brighter (P60). Up close the A2 appears to be whiter (could be the batteries in the M2 though). The white LEDs are great, just what I needed. They are bright enough to light up a room quite well.

As for the A2 body itself, I like it a lot. The size is just right, not too large, not small enough to lose it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One thing I don't like on the body is the hex shaped part of the bezel. In my opinion they are too narrow in diameter, hardly touching a flat surface, which allows the light to roll. Defeats the purpose, they should be a bit bigger. But its no problem really, just something I noticed.

I recommend the light, if this is what you need.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Wolfman said:
One thing I don't like on the body is the hex shaped part of the bezel. In my opinion they are too narrow in diameter, hardly touching a flat surface, which allows the light to roll. Defeats the purpose, they should be a bit bigger

[/ QUOTE ]

this is one of those things sf does that doesn't make sense. they waste time and money to machine something so worthless. even if the hex did touch when placed on a table the pocket clip attatchment is enough to stop a roll.

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

fc669829.jpg

SUREFARC

Enlightened
A2 is the most beautiful and most useful light that SF has made. The size is just right. The beam is perfect. The leds are incrediblly white. I think I'll get another one maybe the porcupine. I love it I love it and I recommand it.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
FC. said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

fc669829.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

What the heck?!! FC you better send you your A2 back to SF. Yours is a proto!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
512, might want to consider changing your sig.

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Off topic 512: I too was wondering why you quote that statement by Michael Moore?

Oscar Wilde, Whalt Whitman, a former President, yes. But a Michael Moore quote?

It's not a profoundly wise or particuarly clever quote, and I don't see the need to specifically attribute it to Michael Moore, although I know he did say it.

If "Shame on you, Mr Bush!" is what you want to say then say it, without hiding behind Michael Moore.

I, on the other hand, would rather say:

"Shame on you, Mr Chirac!"

and more importantly:

"Shame on you, Saddam Hussein, give up your palaces and save your people!"

It's just that they don't listen.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
Off topic:

So you noticed it. Why I quote that? 'Cos that's what I want to say. Why hide behind Mr. Moore? 'Cos he said it publicly on our behalf. Will I change it? Do I have to? If the Administrator and the moderators ask me to, I will. Sorry(sincerelly), if that bothers you. I don't support Saddam I swear. I'm just against war especially an illegitimate war that take lives of the innocent civilians and ruin their homes; an illegitimate war that breed only more hate. Not to mention there are a lot of other purposes behind the war. I don't wanna argue about this. Let's stop there OK?

B@rt

Flashaholic
Although you don't have to, it would be a nice thing to do.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you want to say something about the war, don't you think "THE CAFÉ" is a better place? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

There has been a lot of turmoil lately, and in order to keep CPF the friendly place it has been, some self-moderation is needed sometimes. Waiting for a moderator to slap your hands isn't the way to go... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Just my opinion,

NJL

Newly Enlightened
Lytham St.Annes, Lancashire, United Kingdom
About 512s' sig...

Does the reaction to this quote mean that, in order to use this forum, we all have to conform to a certain political mindset or belief? I sincerely hope not. If we are to believe our elected leaders, then this war is being fought to liberate an oppressed people who have no right to free speech. Are we now expected to supress free speech here?

sad

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Hello again 512, I was just curious on the reasons for your signature, which you now have explained. Freedom of speach should apply to CPF just as it should to society in general, and I would not censor anyone, not Michael Moore and not you. And it's not my job here anyway, it's the moderator's. Just keep in mind that some people may be offended by political messages, and this is why, as Bart suggested, some self-moderation might be appropriate. This is after all a forum for flashlights, not politics. Expressing support for the coalition troops, as some sigs do, is a different thing I think: the soldiers joined with the best of intentions and they and their familes deserve our support. That is not a political message.

In any case, I think many people would agree that the war is a complex issue, with few clear distinctions between right and wrong, the legitimate and the illegitimate, the interpretations of resolution 1441, the effects of diplomacy vs force, etc.

So let's indeed not get into that discussion and return to the thread instead (and my apologies for drifting):

My opinion on the A2 is that there's has been a lot of concern expressed over the fact that the LED:s stay on when the Incan is on, that it is overpriced, etc. I also wonder how easy it is to inadvertently activate the incan when all you want is LED light. Perhaps Wolfman could fill in?

Plus I find it a bit on the large side for a single cell light.

This is why I would not buy the A2 at this point.

Size15's

Flashaholic
A few things -
1)
Stop discussing siglines here. Report inappropriate signlines to CPF staff and/or take it to the Cafe.

2)
It makes no difference how much or little styling SureFire machine. They have the best 11-axis CNC machines in the world. Time saved is likely to be measured in parts of a second. Not to use the machines and define SureFires by style and performance is likely to be far more costly.
(The fact that the A2's hex doesn't stop it from rolling as well as other bezel hexes is a different matter)

3)
There has been concern about the LEDs staying on with the main beam. Is this concern founded? Will it shorten LED anymore then just the LEDs being there in the first place?
Will the LEDs being on all the time have a significant and/or measureable impact on runtime? These questions have not been answered. People can be concerned all they want, but is it worth being concerned about this? I think not.

4)
Main beam activation when all you want is the LEDs - You can rotate the two-stage TailCap so that only the LEDs come on no matter how hard you press.
I use the A2 Reds for illuminating my way around the house at night so I don't wake the others. In my experience I can easily not press as hard as is needed to switch to main beam. However, if I'm using the LEDs to illuminate for more than a few seconds I normally rotate to LED constant-on.
In fact, I often leave the LEDs constant-on when I'm using the main beam so that when I put the A2 down for a second, I can locate it quickly. The battery useage doing this is for me insignificant.

Thanks

Al

artar

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kimchikungfu said:Plus I find it a bit on the large side for a single cell light.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought the A2 is an 2 cell light ?

SUREFARC

Enlightened
I don't find it annoying when the leds stay on with the main beam. Besides they make the main beam even brighter.

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Al, I feel a bit more confident in the A2's abilities now.

A few comments on your points:

1) A CPF sigline policy would be helpful. If Ihave missed it please point me to it.

2-4) When I first saw the A2 I thought "Wow!"
The combination of LED:s, particularly red ones, and white incan light in one flashlight is something I would pay a premium for, there's no arguing in that.

I should also say that I haven't yet received my first SureFire (an E2e and KL1 hopefully on their way soon), so I am not qualified to comment on the general price/performance qualities of SF.

However, price remains an issue. I'm not saying it's overpriced, just that the price, for now, is too high for me. Then again I am not the target group for this particular model and it was only a month ago that I received my first serious (non-Walmart) flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
The A2 is a two SF123A model (hence the "2")
The L1 is a single SF123A model (hence the "1")

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently yes! My mistake, sorry. This is good news. The $160 or so price tag is starting to look more reasonable.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Tombeis

Enlightened
For me, the jury is still out on the A2.

I have been carrying it for a little over two weeks now, and I am still not sure I like it as well as I like the KL-1 on the E2e with a E1 for backup.

Give me another week or two.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the A2 will be worth it, but I am buying one anyway 'cause I HAVE to try it out firsthand myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
My A2 is a beautiful, highly functional light. I bought it to replace my E2E/MNO3 as a rear pocket light, attached to my address book.

Unfortunately, it is simply too long to comfortably fill that function, and I'll use it in another way.

This of course is my personal reaction; it's possible that others might find it perfectly suitable.

Brightnorm

Latest posts