Very worried about exposer to fungi/brown stuff PLZ HELP (pix)

fire-stick

Enlightened
I was only in there for a few short mins (maybe 3 max) but i noticed these brown things growing around the edge of the trim in the building...

I was told to spray them with ODO-BAN (long story).... and I did, he said it would kill them.... then i sprayed them and they started smoking like crazy....

my only concern is am i and my friend in any danger/what should i do..

i searched google/asked my uncle/would call my doctor but he's out... IDK what too do am i in any danger of that stuff...

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/309/0423081824dz1.jpg

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was only in there for a few short mins (maybe 3 max) but i noticed these brown things growing around the edge of the trim in the building...

I was told to spray them with ODO-BAN (long story).... and I did, he said it would kill them.... then i sprayed them and they started smoking like crazy....

i searched google/asked my uncle/would call my doctor but he's out... IDK what too do am i in any danger of that stuff...

:caution:WARNING:caution: I know NOTHING!, but suggest they were just giving out spores which some funghi do in resonse to "rain" and are mostly harmless. To put your mind at ease a PM to GreenLED, our resident Dr Arborealist, may yield some more qualified answers.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry. Just a fungi - a type of mushroom. You can just scrape them up and then clean up with a mild bleach solution. Use rubber gloves in case you have an allergy to this particular type of fungus).

There is obviously a serious moisture/leak problem in the building.

Cydonia

Enlightened
I've seen those type of fungi before on old rotten wood. Amazing how they are growing on the wet carpet like that... must stink pretty bad in there. No wonder the ODO-BAN spray :D

How did they smoke when sprayed? I mean... like how thick was this smoke, or what color was it, and how high up did it rise? Like a soft cloud of dust? Or was it like they were burning and letting up smoke a few feet or higher from the floor? Interesting. Maybe there was a chemical reaction with the ODO-BAN causing some weird steam or gas?

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mushrooms release spoors all the time. They can be dangerous but not likely. When I was a kid we used to pick mushrooms like these and make them smoke by squishing them. They were like little smoke balls.

fire-stick

Enlightened
I've seen those type of fungi before on old rotten wood. Amazing how they are growing on the wet carpet like that... must stink pretty bad in there. No wonder the ODO-BAN spray :D

How did they smoke when sprayed? I mean... like how thick was this smoke, or what color was it, and how high up did it rise? Like a soft cloud of dust? Or was it like they were burning and letting up smoke a few feet or higher from the floor? Interesting. Maybe there was a chemical reaction with the ODO-BAN causing some weird steam or gas?

They were smoking before I sprayed the DOD-ban... Just one was smoking... VERY light.. I'd say.. half the density of a smoking ashtray.. but only lofting half a foot ot so... (also white in color)

BUT when I hit it with the ODO-ban.. I'd say prob the entire length (4 feet plus) of the row of fungi started to smoke... prob 2 or 3 x thicker than cig smoke a, (still white in color), but this time lofting up to about waste high...

Kinda scary... I've never seen anything smoke like that.. well anything in nature..s hort of a brush fire..!?..

Also just to note.. some (prob 25%) of them were slick looking like they were slimey!!...Gross..

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are describing the bacillum americanus toxillia toadstool. It is highly toxic. Symptoms of spore inhalation do not manifest for 48 hours. First symptom is paranoia, followed by rapid pulse, dizziness, difficulty breathing.

Not really.

fire-stick

Enlightened
OK... This post above worries me... I guess I'll post back in 48 hours to see if i'm paranoid/dizzy/pusle racing or not.... :(.... Is there any meds to make me not be that way?? PLZ TELL ME YUR WERE KIDDING!!

Empath

Flashaholic
Fire-Stick, re-read it.

You are describing the bacillum americanus toxillia toadstool. It is highly toxic. Symptoms of spore inhalation do not manifest for 48 hours. First symptom is paranoia, followed by rapid pulse, dizziness, difficulty breathing.

Not really.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't feel bad - I even flew by the 'Not really' and although I didn't believe it I was about to Google the thing powernoodle listed until I saw Empath's emphasis on the 'Not Really'. Good thing Empath was around - I'd hate to think what might have happened if you worked yourself into a panic when something really unusual already scared you. Some people underestimate the healing ability of the mind - and at the other end of the spectrum some underestimate how sick one can become if they are convinced they've been exposed to something dangerous. I've seen psychology studies on this where people would actually start throwing up if they were convinced they had eaten food that would make them sick (despite the test using good and safe food). This is along the lines of the 'placebo' effect. Sounds like you'll be fine.

greenLED

Flashaholic
To put your mind at ease a PM to GreenLED, our resident Dr Arborealist, may yield some more qualified answers.
I'm not a mycologist, so I'll first say:

:caution:WARNING:caution: I know NOTHING!
:)

As Hodsta points out, the "smoke" you saw were quite possibly spores, which may (or may not) cause an allergic reaction (like hay fever).

If that were my place, I would make sure to ventilate the area, and carefully remove the fungus (just grab them gently and put them in a bag). If I knew I was allergic to the spores, or wanted to be extra cautious just in case, I'd wear a moist bandana over my nose and mouth (or a face mask if I had one) and maybe some gloves.

After removing the fruiting bodies, I'd spray the area with a mild solution of bleach and water. However, seeing how those fungi are growing on top of the carpet, my guess is that the underlying material is rotten. If that's the case, then a bleach solution won't eliminate the problem (actually, it may just discolor your carpet and the fungi will grow back).

You might need to contact a home inspector or crawl under the floor yourself (somehow) to inspect the wood underneath. The key will be to keep moisture out of that place to prevent further rotting (or replace the wood entirely). Also, fungi don't like dry air, so make sure to ventilate the place and/or get a dehumidifier in there as often as you can until repairs are done.

Hope that helps.

Tempora

Newly Enlightened
You could shock treat the room using an ozone generator. If you are going t odo this then leave the room for some hours and ventilate the room thoroughly even if the ozone turns into O2.