Surefire C2 centurion...pros...cons...mods?

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Just got a good deal on a surefire c2 centurion,read up a little about the lens,tactical purposes,etc....why is the head sought after by modders?Whats the advantages,disadvantages?Why is the retail much higher than the 6p?I appreciate any answers,comments on this unit.I've ran thru alot of g**gle info,just not great answers.thanks

TooSharp

Newly Enlightened
It's my favorite 60 style surefire model. I'm on my second one. I gave the first with a BOG dropin to my BIL deployed in Iraq. I think the clip, HA, and tactical grip make it better than the 6P. I don't know why modders crave it. I believe it has the same head as the 6P.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
I don't have it in hand yet but I believe the head is bigger than a 6p,and the lens is supposedly tougher...I see a few modders looking for c2 heads,I'm curious why:thinking:...Thanks for the input...God bless our buddys over there.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
the C2 is basically the touhgest p60 based light you can find, with grip ring, and HAIII,clip, almost failproof switch. Theres no way you can love it. I have wanted one for about 2 years, but only recently got one.

Crenshaw

pinepig2

Newly Enlightened
The rubber ring doesn't offer as much purchase area as on the Z2, so it's not quite as ergonomic to hold when using the heel of the hand to depress the switch. The lens is the same. It's also heavier than the Z2. The clip served no purpose for me - I removed it.

Despite these cons, I bought one for the HA. Unfortuneately, the light was far too tight in a V70 holster (SF lists it as the correct holster) which precluded me from using it at the time. I had to turn around and sell it for a loss. Now Blackhawk has a good duty holster that will work, so I may consider another C2. However, I'd much rather see Surefire offer the Z2 in HA.

Drummer

Newly Enlightened
That's odd, I've never seen a C2 NOT work in a V70. I personally use that setup and have not had any problems.

umc

Enlightened
Oh how I love the C2. It was my first Surefire and after EDCing a few others I have gone back to the C2. I currently own two C2s in Glossy black and just ordered a HAIII today which will be the new EDC along with a Z48 tail cap and Malkoff M60. I absolutely love that combo as it's durable, bright as all get out and the tail cap, well, I'm a clicky fan, plus I like the guard on the Z48 so I don't have to worry about it turning on in my pocket, plus you can tail stand it. The Clip is great too for my setup as it rides in a side jean pocket or can go on a belt, no holster necessary.

There are a ton of P60 drop ins like the Malkoff M60 so you can setup this light just for you whether you want ultimate output and throw or something that is bright but will also run for a long time, options galore...

pinepig2

Newly Enlightened
That's odd, I've never seen a C2 NOT work in a V70. I personally use that setup and have not had any problems.

Maybe this has since been adressed (bought my C2 in 2002 or so), or I just had a C2 with extra-thick HA - don't know. It took two hands to get the light out of the holster when carried bezel up. If it's no longer a problem, that's encouraging.

const451

Newly Enlightened
I have C2 and C3 and I love them both. There are the only hard-anodized lights (there is also M2 but it is not pocketable even it's two batteries) that are P60-style lights, meaning you can always upgrade them. Also they provide an excellent grip.

Flashlike

Enlightened
I really appreciate the "ruggedness" of the Surefire C2. And the combat style switch with the rubber grip ring works great.
I installed a Dereelight 1SM-2(1-stage multi power 3-16V input range) Cree XR-E Q5 module with OP reflector in mine powered by (2) RCR123 rechargeable batteries and WOW it has a VERY clean and powerful beam with pure white tint.
Dereelight has other drop-in modules that you might want to take a look at, too. Or as others have mentioned there are several other brands of drop-ins that offer excellent performance.
Enjoy your C2! It is a great light in its stock format, but can also be customized to your liking if you so desire.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The rubber ring doesn't offer as much purchase area as on the Z2, so it's not quite as ergonomic to hold when using the heel of the hand to depress the switch. The lens is the same. It's also heavier than the Z2. The clip served no purpose for me - I removed it.

Despite these cons, I bought one for the HA. Unfortuneately, the light was far too tight in a V70 holster (SF lists it as the correct holster) which precluded me from using it at the time. I had to turn around and sell it for a loss. Now Blackhawk has a good duty holster that will work, so I may consider another C2. However, I'd much rather see Surefire offer the Z2 in HA.

I have had similiar problems with type III HA and pulling from V70. The type III is not as slippery as type II and is more difficult to withdraw from the V70. My V70 works ok now, maybe because I broke it in. I did lube the lower metal contact piece and that helped.

Bill

greenLED

Flashaholic
The C2 is one of the sexiest SF's out there. Like Crenshaw I've been wanting one for quite a while now.

Now that they have the P60L's I may actually jump on one. One of these days...

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would love a Z2 in HA also. I finally found a place that has a holster that fits my C2. The seller is called Planet Holster on ebay. It ran me about $16 I think. I'll have to look into the Blackhawk one, sounds interesting.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one (an early 3-flat version) to replace a 6Z but didn't like the clip, the square grip section or the change in the rubber rings and went back to the 6Z. For me, great light, no mission. YMMV. BTW/FWIW, I see that they are now being made with only two flats, which would make the grip section even less suitable to me.

umc

Enlightened
Comptac makes holsters for the C2 and other Surefire lights, I have one for my C2 and liked it a lot when I carried the light that way. Just another option for ya.

light_holder.jpg

combo_pouch.jpg

houtex

Enlightened
Comp-Tac makes the BEST holsters IMO( I own 2),but if you're worried about the look of your lights Kydex will leave scratches on the light.

Greg_Jones

Newly Enlightened
I've been very pleased with my Comp-Tac light holsters also. I expect that the kydex could/would scratch a Type II finish, but I've not seen even a rub mark from kydex on my Type III hard anodize A2 and E2E.