Fenix P3D Q5 - Anyone Noticed This?

spyderwings

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Fenix P3d Q5 a couple days ago, and wow is it a great light. That being said it is my first good light. Anyway, I noticed something today that isn't a big deal, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has the same 'problem'. When in Normal mode (low, medium, high, sos), I can switch between everything fine, but found something interesting. If in Medium or High setting, and you lightly hit the bottom on a hard surface, it automatically goes back to low mode. And I mean quite lightly. I found out when I set it down on my bathroom counter without much force at all.

Well, has anyone else noticed this? Like I say, it's not a big deal and I don't foresee it being a problem, but thought I'd ask.

spyderwings

Newly Enlightened
That was my guess too, but then I tried it out to see. In Medium, it went back to low, In high it went back to low, and in sos it goes back to low. It doesnt bother me, just curious. Thanks for the replies thus far.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
It goes back to low from all modes because that's the starting mode. If you break contact, like jarring it as you describe, it's the same thing as turning it off, and then back on again. It returns to low no matter what mode it was on when you turned it off.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It goes back to low from all modes because that's the starting mode. If you break contact, like jarring it as you describe, it's the same thing as turning it off, and then back on again. It returns to low no matter what mode it was on when you turned it off.
I believe "breaking contact" should cause it to advance modes. A longer break of contact would be required to bring it back to Low from any level, and it sounds from the OP's description of the situation that the Off duration here isn't long enough for that. So no, I don't think it's a simple breaking of contact.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
This behaviour would be the result if the "outer ring contact" breakes.
For example, if the head is just loosened a little bit, and there is enough slack in the thread to give a little contact (switch to turbo for a millisecond) and then loss: go back to modes->low.

LargePig

Newly Enlightened
It doesn't matter how contact is broken. If you break contact for a short duration then it advances by ONE mode, longer and it resets to low.

You can cycle modes one by one by twisting the tail cap off and on if you really want.

To me it sounds like there's something broken in you P3D.... Mine doesn't do what you describe.

LargePig

Newly Enlightened
For example, if the head is just loosened a little bit, and there is enough slack in the thread to give a little contact (switch to turbo for a millisecond) and then loss: go back to modes->low.

Ah yes, I see what you mean!
spyderwings> Try twising the head a little further away from turbo

LargePig

Newly Enlightened
My P3D Q5 Premium stays on the setting it's on. It blinks out for a split second but does not change modes, just the same as if I press and release the tail switch too fast.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like a contact issue to me, also. Be sure the tailcap is tight. You might try stretching the spring a bit so that there is tighter contact. Be sure all contact surfaces and threads are clean.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall

This is exactly correct. If screwed too far in the space in the threads allows the outer ring in the head to contact for a split second. Obviously the default it goes back to in general mode is low. You may want to screw the head out a bit more. This has never been a problem for me, though.

It's because of this behavior with the threads that surefire has that notch in the back of the lights. One one setting it lets you know the line where the light is locked out. Closer in it signifies the point at which the tailcap being compressed will not activate the light leaving only the button for activation. I've seen very few lights where I could not compress the threads a little bit.

Cheers

spyderwings

Newly Enlightened
Hey, thanks for all the replies guys. I fiddled around with it a bit, and it doesn't do it if I have the head twisted further away from the turbo mode. I guess if you just twist it just a bit off turbo, knocking it on something makes and breaks a connection really quickly. Thanks for the help!

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
kinda useful if you want to get to low mode from medium- unscrew the bezel a wee bit, then press on one side with your finger and it'll go to turbo. Release your finger and it drops to low.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
I just tried this on my P3D Q5 and when i placed it down either forcefully or gently, the mode doesn't change.