Keychain Light?

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I'm thinking of getting a keychain light. From what I've found, the best one is L0D Q4 which can run at 75 lumens (1.5 hours) but still can go down to 9 lumens (8.5 hours).

Any other good keychain light out there that I might have missed? Thanks.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I believe the original raw runs on cr2's. the thing about the 2 p1d's Ive had on my keychain, both have worn through the original lanyard hole in about 3 months.

I was thinking about the Orb Raw, it will run on CR2 for a lower output of 40 lumen for 8 hours. I just never got to this one and Orb seem to have stop producing the Raw

Lumenz

Enlightened
How about the LF2? It is programmable so you can pick whatever brightness you want for each setting. I would recommend the LF2X, but since you are putting it on a keychain, the LF2 would hold better. You would have to get creative to make the LF2X work on a keychain.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
How about the LF2? It is programmable so you can pick whatever brightness you want for each setting. I would recommend the LF2X, but since you are putting it on a keychain, the LF2 would hold better. You would have to get creative to make the LF2X work on a keychain.

I've read that the LF2 is less reliable. It's more fun to use and have lots of features but for me, I want something to just work in case of emergency and not having to fiddle with it. Also the LF2 is a bit longer, not sure if it really fells it in the pocket so I'm not sure if this is really an issue or not.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read that the LF2 is less reliable. It's more fun to use and have lots of features but for me, I want something to just work in case of emergency and not having to fiddle with it. Also the LF2 is a bit longer, not sure if it really fells it in the pocket so I'm not sure if this is really an issue or not.
IMO most of the features are a pain to use on the LF2. My suggestion if you get one is to program two levels you like, and use it as a simple two-stage light from then on. I used to carry the L0D, and got fed up with the 100Hz flickering, abd lack of a really "low" low mode. You'd be surpsied how little light you actually need/want in some situations. I also like the fact that I have direct random access to either low or high without "skipping over" other modes as in the L0D.

Check out the link in my sig for a comparsions of the beam patterns between the L0D and all the LF2 variants, if you're interested in learning more.

If you want lights for emergiences, I'd recommend buying maybe 50 keychain lights from DX, whch will only set you back about $20... you can stash them all over the house, give them to neighbors, whatever. With so many you'll always have several working lights onhand just due to sheer numbers.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
IMO most of the features are a pain to use on the LF2. My suggestion if you get one is to program two levels you like, and use it as a simple two-stage light from then on. I used to carry the L0D, and got fed up with the 100Hz flickering, abd lack of a really "low" low mode. You'd be surpsied how little light you actually need/want in some situations. I also like the fact that I have direct random access to either low or high without "skipping over" other modes as in the L0D.

If you want lights for emergiences, I'd recommend buying maybe 50 keychain lights from DX, whch will only set you back about $20... you can stash them all over the house, give them to neighbors, whatever. With so many you'll always have several working lights onhand just due to sheer numbers.

Which mode did you saw the flickering on the L0D? I don't seem to find any thread other than your old thread with the missing pictures.

Thanks for idea of 50 keychain lights but I think that I'm going to pass on that. I like to have 1 to 2 lights but good ones.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which mode did you saw the flickering on the L0D? I don't seem to find any thread other than your old thread with the missing pictures.

Thanks for idea of 50 keychain lights but I think that I'm going to pass on that. I like to have 1 to 2 lights but good ones.
The light uses PWM, basically it dims by flashing the light off and on repeatedly. so at all levels except 100%, there is visible flickering. It is most noticeable however on the lowest level.

LF2 also uses PWM, but at a muhc higher frequency that isn't really visible.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for replying. I've decided to go with the L0D Q4 for EDC. Replacing my Surefire L1 Cree. I have been EDC the L1 in my winter jacket for the last 6 months and it's time to move on to a smaller light.

I have also decided to go with 50 keychain lights from DX, leave some in the backpack and some in the car in case of those real emergency.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'm thinking of getting a keychain light. From what I've found, the best one is L0D Q4 which can run at 75 lumens (1.5 hours) but still can go down to 9 lumens (8.5 hours).

Any other good keychain light out there that I might have missed? Thanks.

If you're looking for long runtime vs. brigtness, take a look at the Fenix E01. It's just been released and will last a long time on a single battery. At this price, they can't be beat either.

warriorz

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking for long runtime vs. brigtness, take a look at the Fenix E01. It's just been released and will last a long time on a single battery. At this price, they can't be beat either.

sorry if this is off topic, but i am interested in the E01 aswell and dont know much about flashlights... how bright would something like this be?

EDIT: would it be brighter than this?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5979

Marduke

Flashaholic
sorry if this is off topic, but i am interested in the E01 aswell and dont know much about flashlights... how bright would something like this be?

EDIT: would it be brighter than this?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5979

No, they are completely different lights. One has a Lux III, one has a Nichia GS 5mm. The runtimes are vastly different though. about 45 minutes vs 13.5 hours.

nobita

Newly Enlightened
@ warriorz. Judging from pictures only, the E01 has more side spills and a brighter hot spot than the Romisen Lumileds. However, the Romisen Lumileds' beam seems to be more uniform (equally well lit hot sopt and side spill) than the E01.

I'd take an E01 over that any day though :grin2:

warriorz

Newly Enlightened
@ warriorz. Judging from pictures only, the E01 has more side spills and a brighter hot spot than the Romisen Lumileds. However, the Romisen Lumileds' beam seems to be more uniform (equally well lit hot sopt and side spill) than the E01.

I'd take an E01 over that any day though :grin2:

thanks guys, also, would you happen to have any night pics of the E01?

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm thinnking of getting the Fenix E01 as a battery carrier/backup and just leave it in my backpack.

It's cheap enough and doesn't take much space and weight so it's a great option.