Did I damage my Surefire L1?

Snow

Enlightened
So I was messing around with my lights tonight and put the L1 head on an L4 body with an AW 17670 in it and fired it up. When I put the head back on the L1 body, it didn't seem as bright. I am pretty sure it's just my imagination, but I just can't shake the feeling that I could have hurt the L1. Even the thought makes me cringe. :(

ja10

Enlightened
Someone will probably know better than me, but any time I damaged an LED, it wouldn't let out any light at all. I think you'd have to have an incredibly precise amount of excess voltage to slightly damage but not destroy the LED.

litetube

Enlightened
I dont know much but my theory is when you fired it up on the 3.7 volts putting it in direct drive it was indeed briter than the normal 123 setup. then when you went back to the original setup you were then back down to regulated normal output . I have read on here there is a noticeable difference in output when using a 3.7volt battery especially if hot off the charger. I wouldnt keep doing it though. I bet it is fine .

Snow

Enlightened
Yeah, you guys are probably right that it went into direct drive. For the record, the 17670 had been in my G2 for a while and was not hot off the charger, and I only shined it for a few seconds. I am just paranoid. I guess this is why I don't usually mix and match. I don't have the guts.

greenstuffs

Banned
Yeah, you guys are probably right that it went into direct drive. For the record, the 17670 had been in my G2 for a while and was not hot off the charger, and I only shined it for a few seconds. I am just paranoid. I guess this is why I don't usually mix and match. I don't have the guts.

I've run my earliest L1 CREE with 2 CR123 direct drive with a e2l body, man that was bright 200 lumens :devil:. When i put it back to the L1 body the light was just as good as it used to be.

Snow

Enlightened
I've run my earliest L1 CREE with 2 CR123 direct drive with a e2l body, man that was bright 200 lumens :devil:. When i put it back to the L1 body the light was just as good as it used to be.

How long did you run it like that. Sounds tempting...

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's brave running the L1 head on 6V. I run two of mine direct drive on RCR ALL the time. I have one still lux3 and 2 SSC. I run one on 18650 too. No problem. Runs only 450mA - less than I would have thought.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried my L1 head with embedded F04 lens on an L4 body with an AW 17670 and it's brighter than my pretty bright KL4. And thus far, it's holding up. I think I found my new "L4."

Of course when and if it blows...away to Milky for his handywork.

Wilkey

greenstuffs

Banned
I've had my set up for a month and run it without much problem, i had the light with a 2 stage tailcap with a 15ohm resistor. It made a nice combo however i did not run the high for more than 1 min the head was getting hot. I do not recomend running the light with 6volts. I was just curious to see how the light would perform :p
However the CREE head is brighter and the throw is incredible for a light of its size. It is proven that anyone can make a bright LED light provided you pump enough juice.

Last edited: