Newbie Help: E1B vs. NDI vs. JetBeam Pro 1

jlyrgr

Newly Enlightened
I am new to the flashlight world, and am trying to learn all I can and get up to speed. I have been lurking here for a little while. Here is my question: I am looking at buying a EDC (LED) light. I am torn between the E1B / NDI / and JetBeam Pro 1. Could you guys help me understand the things to consider? What are the advantages of the CR123 batteries (E1B) over the normal aa and aaa? What about how to switch between all the modes? Thank you in advance for your opinions because they are driven by much more "real" experience than I have.

Saiga

Enlightened
Everyone raves about their NDI's, but i personally don't like all the modes/levels. Seems i've read about some QC issues with jetbeam.
Surefire's i really like....bullet proof warranty/customer service, made in USA, and only two, very practical levels on that one. I have 3 SF's and don't really need another, yet still may get the E1B.
cr123 batteries have a VERY long shelflife,are not affected by temperature extremes like regular batteries, and are not nearly as expensive or hard to find as they once were. I'd recommend ordering a 12-pack direct from SF, quality batteries, and should last you years.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I am new to the flashlight world, and am trying to learn all I can and get up to speed. I have been lurking here for a little while. Here is my question: I am looking at buying a EDC (LED) light. I am torn between the E1B / NDI / and JetBeam Pro 1. Could you guys help me understand the things to consider? What are the advantages of the CR123 batteries (E1B) over the normal aa and aaa? What about how to switch between all the modes? Thank you in advance for your opinions because they are driven by much more "real" experience than I have.

If I respond, only based on your choices, without swaying you away to a different light not mentioned, I'd say go with the E1B. I have the NDI and consider it to be unreliable. I would not want to bet my life of the light in the form of an EDC. I don't have the JB Pro, however I do own a couple E1B lights and they are great. Go with the E1B.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
NDI has two main modes - high and adjustable low (no choice in E1B). Twist the head to switch between them, click the switch to turn the light off/on. There's no switch play (twist/click) to find one of two modes:thumbsdow.

Besides E1B has very concentrated beam with no sidespill which is not practical. You can get a diffuser but it's another thing to loose. Both NDI and Jet-I Pro have decent and useful spill (Jet has impressive throw as well).

Yes, CR123 batteries have long shelflife but do you buy spare batteries for next 10 years? I don't think so. Extreme temperatures - how many times have you left flashlight (turned off) "alone" in -30 Celsius degrees (-22F)? Or over 60 Celsius (140F)? And they're still quite expensive and not widely available - you're out of town, running out of batteries and what:candle:? Nearest store is 100miles away! No, there are a few in gas station - $10 each. + low capacity rechargeables. In NDI and Jet Pro you can use alkaline, lithium and Ni-MH AA sized batteries - cheap, efficient and easy to find.

CR123? Thanks but no thanks.:bumpit:

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would vote for the NDI. Yes it has only 2 modes like the E1B. However, its high mode is higher, and its low mode is user selectable to whatever you want down to 3 lumens. I do not like the interface on the E1B. You must start in high mode, even if all you want is low. On the NDI, you can start either on low or High. You can get a lower low on the NDI than on the E1B if you want.
The NDI is smaller, lighter and easier to carry as an EDC. I like that it uses AA cells available just about anywhere and it is designed to take rechargables, while the E1B is not.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the NDI, and if you want to consider a 4th option, a Fenix P2D Q5.

I have the NDI, E1B, Jetbeam Jet I Pro, and I EDC the Fenix P2D Q5.

dougie

Enlightened
jlyrgr

Welcome to CPF! If you get confused quickly by the replies to your question it may be because you asked about which was the better of several brands of light rather than setting out a criteria you require? The problem that you may have already seen is that different brands and types of light have different proponents depending on their bias for favorite manufacturer or light.

I myself have an E1B and love it but would hesitate to tell you it is exactly what you need because you haven't identified what you propose to use it for or what type of battery or purchase cost you envisage? Some other points to consider are do you have a preference for a domestic or foreign made light? Is a lifetime warranty a must or doesn't it matter? I'm sure if you had more clearly defined what you wanted from a light by using that type of criteria you would get a more productive response?

Just my 2 cents

Doug

Cheapskate

Enlightened
I dont know about the E1B. I do have both the NDI and Jetbeam I Pro.

The Jetbeam is really good at throw - lighting up things at a distance. It has three levels, low, medium and high. Low is not very low, medium is inefficient as it uses as much energy from the battery as high, so the battery does not last any longer on medium than if you have it on high. High is very bright and throws a good beam a long way.

To operate it, you click the switch on the back so it is on. It will turn on at the last brightness level you used before turning it off. Pressing the switch on the back just a little, switches it to the next brightness level. Pressing the swich a lot turns it off.

The NDI is a better all-round light, it is the one i would recommend. On it's lowest setting the battery will last nearly two days. On high, the battery will last just over an hour. It is also very bright on high, with very useful throw. It is a better light than the Jetbeam Pro in all areas except throw and construction quality, where it is equaly as good.

Last edited:

sb_pete

Newly Enlightened
Everyone raves about their NDI's, but i personally don't like all the modes/levels. Seems i've read about some QC issues with jetbeam.
The NDI did have some issues with the first gen CPF-only lights which were essentially beta testers and the first lights that the company produced. Nightcore was great about replacing them with gen2 NDI's and I have nothing but positive things to say about their Customer Service which I actually had to deal with. My second gen has been rock solid reliable. Even though I run Li-ions in it, it is nice to know that I could run any aa form factor battery in it if I needed to. Frankly I think the UI is even more simple than the E1B as there is no messing around with multiple clicks. I think you could not go wrong with a NDI.

That said, the SF E1B is a great light. Jetbeam did have some QC issues a while back but they seem to have been resolved. JB lights are not exactly known for simple, intuitive UI's:whistle:, but I have been VERY impressed with their fit and finish and physical details like double-sprung batteries and double-o-ring design.

All that said, I find myself edcing a Fenix P2D instead of my NDI or Jetbeam :shrug:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Just get the E1B.
+1

I had the NDI for a short time & sold it ... it just didn't 'feel' right. Initially it seemed too small, but neither my Nautilus or Ion give that impression and both are even smaller. It didn't fit my hand, but it may be perfect for you.

That said, the E1B is a killer light in a small package. A low setting that you'll use all the time, plus a tactical high setting when you want or need it. Add to that Surefire quality & lifetime warranty & you have a really nice, small EDC.

Zenster

Enlightened
I'd also recommend the E1B as a great first EDC light.

However, just to add more to the confusion :devil:, you might also add the Novatac 120P (or 120T or 120E) to the list of choices.

If you can afford a Surefire, you can afford at least the T or E model Novatacs, and the extra features that add more utility, plus a killer bright spill beam, make the 120P a top choice in my opinion.

The E1B is more of a narrow beam thrower that (I personally) don't find quite as useful in an EDC light. BUT, you cannot go wrong if you go with the E1B.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what is not to like about the Jetbeam Pro 1? Is it the battery life?

Runtime on medium mode is shorter than on high. Low mode is still very bright.

Surefire E1B/E1L/E2L have very concentrated beam almost useless as EDC.

gilly

Enlightened
E1B: pros - highest quality build, warranty
cons - uses ONLY CR123 primary batteries. If you use
rechargeables, surefire will void your warranty.

Jetbeam: pros - very bright on high, uses AA batteries(as below)
cons - low setting is too bright, not really of good utility (you
really need a low - low!)

NDI: pros - availability and flexibility of the AA battery. You can use:
XX-brand alkalines
Nimh rechargeables
Li-ion rechargeables (14500)
Lithium L91 (energizer e2) with a 15 year shelf life

Well built and reliable (I have found mine to be so)

User-defined mode lets YOU pick what level you need.
Lowest low of the three lights - very useful.
High setting is incredibly bright for a AA.

cons - warranty of 1 year

I would pick the NDI - just can't beat the AA options and availability worldwide.

Good luck!