Keeping track of the Olympic torch's carbon footprint ...

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
Keeping track of the Olympic torch's carbon footprint—one leg at a time. - By Chadwick Matlin - Slate Magazine
"The 2008 Olympic torch relay has not exactly inspired warm feelings of international cooperation, as in years past. Pro-Tibetan activists mounted protests in Paris and London, and even managed to force the extinguishing of the flame on a few occasions. But in the long run, the torch could generate more pollution than political dissent. Its journey across the world (and back again) is leaving a historic trail of CO2 emissions."
http://www.slate.com/id/2188876/

KingGlamis

Banned
So how much of a carbon footprint was left by the reporters that flew on planes to report on the CO2 output of the torch? Hypocrisy at its finest. :crackup:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not like the plane wouldn't be flying if it weren't carrying the torch. It'd be carrying somebody/something else. Planes costing millions of dollars don't make money by sitting on the ground. The torch is actually providing jobs for people! Hip hip hooray, o large carbon footprinting torch!

Daekar

Enlightened
I can't believe somebody actually is this paranoid about it. Don't they realize that every single day, those planes fly around with people in them? And that countless planes crisscross the globe delivering packages every day? For instance, the giant stick the author has shoved up their... I mean, uh... the author probably has lots of things which were transported by plane! Honestly, these are the people that give the environmentalist movement a bad name. If they could get rid of the nanny-staters and the nutcases like this, they'd do a lot better.

EDIT: I just posted this:
This article is completely ridiculous. If the author stopped to think for a minute, should would realize that EVERY SINGLE PLANE emits that amount of C02, and those planes run in countless numbers, everwhere, all over the world, every day. Surely, if we are to ban the Olympic Torch, then we should ban air travel in general, it's bad for the environment. In fact, I think air-mail should be banned as well, look at those numbers she put forth, they're disgraceful. If the author truly wanted to do something for the environment instead of trying to create additional antagonism between the West and the East, she would devote her time to writing about C02 emissions created by coal-burning power plants - sure, they create the vast majority of electricity in the world, but they're hands down the absolute worst polluters in the world as well, by a very large margin. In fact, they make all the SUVs in the world look like amateurs. Now, if the author could convince those with power to direct more money towards making coal power plants more efficient and cleaner, THEN she might accomplish something. Otherwise, she needs to keep her poisoned pen in her drawer and quit the sensationalism.

Last edited: