Questions re: LED regulation ...

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
We've seen the better LED lights over the last few years use some manner of electronic regulation in order to maintain a relatively steady output.

I'm nowhere close to being an EE and have some questions. ;-)

How has the regulation technology or implementations evolved over the last say 5 years?

Are the different manufacturers using essentially the same regulation technologies? Or are there some drastically different approaches to the problem?

In your opinion, who is doing it the best? However you define that. ;-)

Thanks in advance!

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Best" is defined by each light's intended use, so I can't really tell you that unless I have a definite use for the light. Advancements? I would assume that given the rate of advancement in electronics and computing, we've made some large leaps in the efficiancy and complexity of regulation. Usually, though, people are more interested in the type of emitter than the type of regulation.

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
"Best" is defined by each light's intended use, so I can't really tell you that unless I have a definite use for the light. Advancements? I would assume that given the rate of advancement in electronics and computing, we've made some large leaps in the efficiancy and complexity of regulation. Usually, though, people are more interested in the type of emitter than the type of regulation.
Thanks!

And I've seen the term 'emitter' used quite a bit on this forum. What exactly is that referring too? What are the various choices?

HKJ

Flashaholic
And I've seen the term 'emitter' used quite a bit on this forum. What exactly is that referring too? What are the various choices?

This is the small part that generates the light, i.e. the led or Light Emitting Diode.

The led is usual placed together with some electronic and a metal heatsink, this assembly is called a "pill" and in some flashlight your can replace the pill to get other functions or a better led.

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
Ah, I see, thanks. I was aware of course of the LED, but I didn't realize that was the name for the whole assembly.