Inova T3 MP Burned Out In 15 Seconds

Rocketman

Enlightened
I just bought an Inova T3 MP for 78.50 USD hoping that I would be purchasing a well made light only to discover it burned itself out in about 15 seconds.

I also can't help but notice the led is way off center and the beam was quite poor.

Until now I thought highly of Inova flashlights, I called Inova and the woman gave me a return authorization number which I will use to ship the light back, I'll get back here to let you all know how that works out.

I do hope this is not a common occurrance but nevertheless be warned.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
What kind of cells did you use? Some CR123 lights will cook if you try and use 3.6-4.2V RCR123s. Thats user error though, not Inovas.

Did you insert the cells the right way? Some Inovas are designed backwards, you insert the cells with the + side towards the tail. Its counter-intuitive, but thats how they are.

Are you using fresh cells?... by that I mean KNOWN fresh cells... not the OEM ones that they ship with and everyone "tests" in the store.

Clean all battery contacts and threaded parts. I use a safe for plastics electronics part cleaner/solvent, the kind in an aerosol spray can.

Inova DOES make GREAT lights and are an upstanding company. You should be able to exchange it for a good one if you bought it from a reputable retailer. If its still under warranty, Inova will honor that too, give them a call and get the warranty repair process going.

One isolated incident is not reason enough to bag a company as a whole. Give them a chance, let their customer support do their job and make it right.

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
Sorry to learn that. But I bet you just got a random bum light. I doubt it's a recurring problem of note. I've had two Inovas, the latest a T3, and both are very solid.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've played with a number of the new Inova T series lights and tested two T4 MP lights. I did not see any problems with them. I'm guessing you just received a rare defective piece. If the emitter was way off center this light may have been subjected to something completely inappropriate. I ran the car over the T4 I tested twice with no ill effects. Anyway Inova should take good care of you.

Bill

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the 2008 Inovas were known to shift in their packaging, sometimes putting pressure on the switch. Whatever happened, Inova will take care of you.

Rocketman

Enlightened
What kind of cells did you use? Some CR123 lights will cook if you try and use 3.6-4.2V RCR123s. Thats user error though, not Inovas.

Did you insert the cells the right way? Some Inovas are designed backwards, you insert the cells with the + side towards the tail. Its counter-intuitive, but thats how they are.

Are you using fresh cells?... by that I mean KNOWN fresh cells... not the OEM ones that they ship with and everyone "tests" in the store.

Clean all battery contacts and threaded parts. I use a safe for plastics electronics part cleaner/solvent, the kind in an aerosol spray can.

Inova DOES make GREAT lights and are an upstanding company. You should be able to exchange it for a good one if you bought it from a reputable retailer. If its still under warranty, Inova will honor that too, give them a call and get the warranty repair process going.

One isolated incident is not reason enough to bag a company as a whole. Give them a chance, let their customer support do their job and make it right.

Ah, the cross examination.
Let me see, the batteries are Energizer 123 3v lithium, they came with the light. They came with the + ends towards the tail cap switch as do all Inovas I have.
They were fresh enough to burn the light out, isn't that fresh enough? My light came sealed in it's packaging from Bright Guy, it wasn't a display model.
There is no need to clean anything, the light is entirely new and shiny.

I am an Inova fan but these forums are for us to help each other, if Inova needs to check their manufacturing process then I hope this forum helps and otherwise we can at least warn each other.

I have the following Inova flashlights:

X5 - Perfect.
XO - Reflector has some roughness, otherwise perfect.
Bolt AA - Reflector has some discolorations, otherwise perfect.
T2 (2007 with reflector) - Perfect.

Considering that I am just one customer and have seen what I have seen in my own purchases, I believe Inova should check it's manufacturing process.

Tachion

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean by burn out? Did it go :poof:??!? or will it just not light up again when you put fresh (known and matched) cells in it?

Cleaning the contacts could possibly help even though your light is brand new. I once bought a light that needed cleaning before it worked properly. I suppose there could be some residue on the contacts from the manufacturing process or something of the sort. (but if your light went :poof: I suppose there was more than enough contact :crazy: )

Rocketman

Enlightened
What do you mean by burn out? Did it go :poof:??!? or will it just not light up again when you put fresh (known and matched) cells in it?

Cleaning the contacts could possibly help even though your light is brand new. I once bought a light that needed cleaning before it worked properly. I suppose there could be some residue on the contacts from the manufacturing process or something of the sort. (but if your light went :poof: I suppose there was more than enough contact :crazy: )

I turned it on to see what the beam looked like, it got really warm really quickly. As I was wondering on just how warm it would get, it went out and hasn't come back on since. It ran for about 15 seconds. I presume it was the current control circuit.

Really though, with the led being so far off center, the beam was horrible and I would have sent it back anyway.

Flic

Enlightened
If it is one of the latest versions, I believe they use K2 Flip-Chips. These have been the subject of a recall. One of the bad chips may have gotten out. As others have said, I am sure you'll get good service from INOVA and that the replacement will be up to par.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inovas customer service is this nice, they will replace it without any questioning

what I really wonder is: You did notice the light getting warm in that short time?
Even just a bit of temp from normal operation, is impossible within 15 secs. Must be some shorting or such

Rocketman

Enlightened
Inovas customer service is this nice, they will replace it without any questioning

what I really wonder is: You did notice the light getting warm in that short time?
Even just a bit of temp from normal operation, is impossible within 15 secs. Must be some shorting or such

Yes, something is definitely wrong with the circuitry.

The more I look at it the more I want a working Inova T3 MP. Inova HAD BETTER fix it for me. Or I will go on a crusade.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova has a lifetime warranty - it will be fixed or more likely replaced.

Did you try fresh batteries? We had a guy get a T5 last week and the batteries were DOA, I have to assume that they failed to turn the switch to lockout in production/packaging and it somehow got activated in transit.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd guess they were fresh enough if the light was getting warm quickly.

Actually I was thinking there could be a problem with one of the cells. Different charge states, internal shorts, etc any number of issues could cause a hot cell which = a warm light.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the LED was off center and some of the light was going behind the reflector instead of coming out the front, I could see that helping to get the LED area hotter faster.
It is possible that the LED die or the star substrate came loose off the heatsink it was mounted to and was able to shift after the unit was shipped and was not detected. Its too hard to believe that they would not have seen the LED was so far off center as you say and not have caught it. If the LED die was not well heat sunk to the star or the star well heatsunk into the Aluminum frame, the die is going to overheat very quickly and burn out. I doubt it had anything to do with battery condition, like you say the batteries were new and strong enough to make it get hot and go poof in 15 seconds.

If there were current regulator problems that would not explain the beam being offcenter from the moment you turned it on. So I am betting lack of bonding at either the die or the star (or whatever type of substrate they are using for their type of chip module) caused the die to overheat and die.

I am confident that Inova will replace it with one that works at no cost, fear not. They are very interested in feedback on their products and they do monitor this forum. They will make it right. Keep us posted when they do.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
network was hanging really long this morning, duplicate post.

Last edited:

Probedude

Enlightened
Actually I was thinking there could be a problem with one of the cells. Different charge states, internal shorts, etc any number of issues could cause a hot cell which = a warm light.
I thought about that too but I don't think there would be enough intimate contact between the battery and the wall of the light to transfer the heat enough to feel it that fast unlike the pill. Over time - sure.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a bummer:(. Hope it gets resolved for you quickly. Let us know your experience. I have several INOVAs myself and have been happy with them. My only minor disappointment has been the 24-7 of which I have several first generation. They drain the battery if it is left in the light and unused for extended periods. Anyone see this problem with the 24-7? Other than that I am quite happy with my 24-7s. Sorry Rocketman, not trying to hijack your thread.

gorn

Enlightened
What a bummer:(. Hope it gets resolved for you quickly. Let us know your experience. I have several INOVAs myself and have been happy with them. My only minor disappointment has been the 24-7 of which I have several first generation. They drain the battery if it is left in the light and unused for extended periods. Anyone see this problem with the 24-7? Other than that I am quite happy with my 24-7s. Sorry Rocketman, not trying to hijack your thread.

I have a 24-7 first gen. It's been in a case with dozens of other lights of mine for years. The original battery is still in it and as of last week it was still working fine.