SureFire 6P Over Clones- I'm a Believer

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
I've had a number of clones and liked them all. UltraFire Alpha-C1, SolarForce L2, and Cabela's XPG. All seem good after installation of various drop-in modules from a variety of sources. But I got to wondering just what the diff was between the SF 6P and clones?

So we just received a SF 6P-black and now I am beginning to understand. From the manual, which is a first class effort on SF's part, to the threads which are deep and sharp, it is no wonder why they kick butt. The body is at least twice or two-and-a-half times as thick as my SolarForce L2's. SureFire's got my attention now. I wonder what will be our next
SureFire?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's your take on the Cabela's XPG vs. the 6p? sounds like you already did a detailed comparison but didn't type it up, and I'm sorely tempted to grab an XPG to use as a second P60 host.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
:wave: welcome to the club!! Look at it this way... take care of it and that 6P will last for 2-3 decades, including the switch. Its the last flashlight you will need to buy for a very long time.

Pretty sure my next light is going to be a G2... I need a worthy home for my DX6090. I couldn't imagine putting it in anything other than a surefire... EDIT- I just purchased a superfire clone, just to see what all the clone-hype is about. Impressions forth-coming, stay tuned to my video reviews.:wave:

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
My go to lights are SureFires - 6P[x3], 9P, G2. Not a bad one in the bunch and the 6Ps and 9P are all over 10 years old!! I am updating them with P60 drop ins and they really rock now!!!

michelkenny

Newly Enlightened
A few weeks ago I ordered a SolarForce L2. While it was in transit, I was too tempted and bought a Surefire 6P. The Surefire 6P arrived before the SolarForce. As soon as I picked it up, I knew this was a good flashlight. The body is nice and thick, and everything else about it is just top notch. I was in love. Then a few days later I received the SolarForce L2. As soon as I picked it up, I thought to myself "boy, this is a piece of junk!". After having played with the 6P, playing with the L2 just isn't as fun. I'm sure it still good for someone who hasn't touched a Surefire, but I've been spoiled now.

generic808

Enlightened
Hey Michel, I'm glad that you liked your 6P! Let me know if you need more.

And to those who think the clones are "just as good" as the 6P, they obviously haven't owned or handled a Surefire. There simply is no comparison as far as build quality, warranty, and customer service is concerned. A 6P has been on my duty belt since the academy, and a 6P still adorns my belt to this day. I personally believe it is the most reliable light out there.

michelkenny

Newly Enlightened

And to those who think the clones are "just as good" as the 6P, they obviously haven't owned or handled a Surefire. There simply is no comparison as far as build quality, warranty, and customer service is concerned. A 6P has been on my duty belt since the academy, and a 6P still adorns my belt to this day. I personally believe it is the most reliable light out there.

generic808 is the one who sold me my Surefire, and I'm glad he did, otherwise I would just have my SolarForce L2, thinking that it is almost as good. Now it will just collect dust.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't fully agree with you there as I actually own 2 Surefire 6Ps, 1 6PD and 2 C2s along with having a few Solarforce L2s and 1 Cabella's XPG. And while I will agree the Surefires are better quality, I will not say my Solarforce L2s are that far behind. I guess people want to believe what they want...everyone's got their opinions and that's fine. My take on the clones (and with the Solarforce L2 in particular), is that they are decent to very good quality still and most definitely a bang for the buck.

tobushomme

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

yesterday I received my Fenix TK10. My 6PLED is already sold. So far I didn´t regret it. But time will tell I guess ...
right now I just love the tk10

Tobus

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
generic808 is the one who sold me my Surefire, and I'm glad he did, otherwise I would just have my SolarForce L2, thinking that it is almost as good. Now it will just collect dust.

I rotate usage with mines. One day it's my 6P, the next it's one of by L2s and so on. I feel in doing so, I am living up to being a true flashaholic. :thumbsup:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much do clones cost? I know that 6P's can usually be found for $40ish if you look hard enough. So if a clone is roughly $30...wouldn't it be worth the extra $10 or so to get a nice 6P? Two years from now, you won't even care that you spent an extra $10 on that light. Heck, just don't drink any Starbucks for two days and you've made up the difference!

Now, if you prefer the clones...then so be it. I just never understood it when people get clones to "save money".

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few weeks ago I ordered a SolarForce L2. While it was in transit, I was too tempted and bought a Surefire 6P. The Surefire 6P arrived before the SolarForce. As soon as I picked it up, I knew this was a good flashlight. The body is nice and thick, and everything else about it is just top notch. I was in love. Then a few days later I received the SolarForce L2. As soon as I picked it up, I thought to myself "boy, this is a piece of junk!". After having played with the 6P, playing with the L2 just isn't as fun. I'm sure it still good for someone who hasn't touched a Surefire, but I've been spoiled now.

my 6P has seen about four years of use, and after being dropped, runover by cars, used as a hammer a few times, it just plain works. WIth a Malkoff an a Novatac clip it lives on my belt now.

At 59 dollars(54 when I bought it) it is a bargain for what you get. Knowing that it was made in the same state as I am makes it "buying local". :crackup:

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
What's your take on the Cabela's XPG vs. the 6p? sounds like you already did a detailed comparison but didn't type it up, and I'm sorely tempted to grab an XPG to use as a second P60 host.

We bought two on that $19.99 with a knife deal at Cabela's. Still waiting.. should be here anyday. For a second p60 host it should be great, as any of my other clones are.

My3kidsfather

Enlightened

I'm still looking for a holster i really like. the light is sitting in a ammo pouch now. Fits abit loose.

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
my 6P has seen about four years of use, and after being dropped, runover by cars, used as a hammer a few times, it just plain works. WIth a Malkoff an a Novatac clip it lives on my belt now.

At 59 dollars(54 when I bought it) it is a bargain for what you get. Knowing that it was made in the same state as I am makes it "buying local". :crackup:

I like the lifetime thing. My son could get mine after I cannot turn it on, or even hold it anymore. at all, even a bit. lol.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much do clones cost? I know that 6P's can usually be found for $40ish if you look hard enough. So if a clone is roughly $30...wouldn't it be worth the extra $10 or so to get a nice 6P? Two years from now, you won't even care that you spent an extra $10 on that light. Heck, just don't drink any Starbucks for two days and you've made up the difference!

Now, if you prefer the clones...then so be it. I just never understood it when people get clones to "save money".

I'm more of an equal opportunity consumer...I try to buy good quality products (at a deal price of course), but I also can buy and enjoy mediocre products just as well. Looking at absolute bottom prices: A regular Surfire 6P costs about $45 at lowest. A Solarforce L2 costs about $16 at lowest...being a bargain hunter myself, that is what I paid for my 6Ps and L2s. That is almost a $30 difference. If budget is important, you really can't discount that fact. I won't argue against the Surefire warranty as I think it's great...different people have different needs or preferences and that's fine.

Last edited:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm more of an equal opportunity consumer...I try to buy good quality products (at a deal price of course), but I also can buy and enjoy mediocre products just as well. Looking at absolute bottom prices: A regular Surfire 6P costs about $45 at lowest. A Solarforce L2 costs about $16 at lowest...being a bargain hunter myself, that is what I paid for my 6Ps and L2s. That is almost a 20 difference. If budget is important, you really can't discount that fact. I won't argue against the Surefire warranty as I think it's great...different people have different needs or preferences and that's fine.

I honestly didn't know how cheap the clones were. Thanks for the price. I can see it being worth it if it were that much of a difference. :) Heck, I'm :broke: now too. haha.

Plus, it's always good to keep a beater light in the car/garage/etc...I once had my car broken into and the punks stole my U2... :( So from then on, I only keep a G2 in my car.

Last edited:

Mercaptan

Enlightened
What is even nicer about 6Ps is that you can add many little pieces and parts to make it your own:

Surefire 6PL, BOG Q5 (Malkoff soon?), Leef McClicky, Leef Grip

img1899900901902903mediiq7.jpg

img19045678mediumsn1.jpg

Basically, I just got a new program for my camera and wanted to take some HDR-esque shots, so I figure I'd post them here. I needed an excuse to waste some more time... yeah, that's right.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is even nicer about 6Ps is that you can add many little pieces and parts to make it your own:

Surefire 6PL, BOG Q5 (Malkoff soon?), Leef McClicky, Leef Grip

img1899900901902903mediiq7.jpg

Yeah, both of my 6Ps and 1 6PD has a Leefgrip on them...I love the "tacticool" look and the tatical funtionality it gives the 6P line. My favorite 6P has a Leefgrip, Leef McClicky, Solarforce Stainless Steel Strike Bezeled Head and Malkoff Devices M60 Q5. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.