Problem with NDI please help!!

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
I have the NDI for more than 2 weeks and it worked flawlessly till a few days ago.

When the light is twisted on to max it stays on for a while and then it goes off and then its starts flashing in 2 second intervals somewhat like SOS but just on and off. I am using AW14500 protected rechargebles.

Any help would be very appreciated because I like this light a lot and I don't want to have something fail me so soon.

Thanks for all the info.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like your rechargable needs recharging. The intermittant flashing is the low battery signal for lithiums. Try a regular alkaline or a fully charged NIMH battery. There should be no flashing. When those cells get weak, the light just dims.

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
I am using a fully charged lithium 14500 battery, I'll try using a normal AA and see what happens.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a multimeter to take a voltage reading of your 14500?

I had scary moments like this with my NDI, but it turned out to be a fresh off the charger NiMH that didn't take a charge.

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a multimeter but I think that the charger and the battery are not making contact will use the aluminium spacers and check again.

Moreover the Jet Pro 1 that I have does not seem to have a problem with the same battery so I really don't know what is wrong.

Also used a normal AA and it seems okay to me so far.

Any clues.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Jetbeam may not cut off as soon as the NDI. I think the Jetmean has low voltage protection?

You should hit radioshack and pick up a basic digital multimeter. If you're working with lithium ion batteries you really should have a meter to check their status, they shouldn't cost too much.

Are you using 14500's in a Ultrafire WA-139 charger? Do they have button tops, or are they flat? The charger lights should turn red on the WA-139 while charger, if they always stay green you aren't making connection. If you have another charger, you'd have to check the instructions for that charger. :)

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
Yes WadeF I am using 14500's in a Ultrafire WA-139 charger and they do have button tops and it does show red and green when charging. So what else could be the problem?

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the light worked flawlessly for 2 weeks with this battery, I don't see how it could be a new contact issue. I would bet the battery is not taking a full charge. I don't think a volt meter will tell the whole story either, since you will be checking the battery unloaded. Batteries without a load often look better on the DVM than they really are. Furthermore, the NDI will signal a low battery even when there is enough life left in the battery to drive another flashlight that has no battery protection circuits. You should try charging up another 14500 cell and see if that behaves any differently. Assuming the charger is oK, and both cells behave the same way in the NDI, then I would look for a contact problem. Clean the threads and contacts might also be a reasonable thing to try.

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
I'll try cleaning the threads and see what happens next. Hopefully this should fix my problem.

Cheapskate

Enlightened
I get this with a Saft 3.6v 14500 primary cell. In the NDI I just get the blinking because it thinks it is a rechargeable with low voltage. Put the same battery in a Jetbeam I Pro and it works fine.

Try a NiMh rechargeable.

LawLight

Enlightened
I had the same problem. Clean all threads and very slightly lube them. Not much. You are having a contact problem, and the light is going into weak battery mode by mistake.

LawLight

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contact EDGETAC about your issue. I believe they are solving problems swiftly for NDI owners that contact them.
Stefan

Last edited:

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Stefan for the info.

I still have a problem with the NDI even on regular alkalines. I used a fresh Duraceel alkaline and on all modes there is a flickering and I had this issue for sometime. But on 14500 it is stable no flickering at all and then after some useage it start flashling on and off, even if I use it on low mode it goes off and starts flashling on maximum on and off.

Please help as I really like this light and I a bit disappointed that I am having issues with this light so soon.:mad:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Stefan for the info.

I still have a problem with the NDI even on regular alkalines. I used a fresh Duraceel alkaline and on all modes there is a flickering and I had this issue for sometime. But on 14500 it is stable no flickering at all and then after some useage it start flashling on and off, even if I use it on low mode it goes off and starts flashling on maximum on and off.

Please help as I really like this light and I a bit disappointed that I am having issues with this light so soon.:mad:

There's nothing you can do about it (unless you change driver in it by yourself). You need to contact the manufacturer for this.
Stefan

machoamigo

Newly Enlightened
Hello Stefan,

So do you think that I have a bad driver :shakehead, now I would have to either return this light or just leave it in a corner. I've sent a message to edgetac and will see what they say.

I have to say that I am really disapponited with edgetac because the flashlight feels solid and construction is flawless but the driver and circuitry are no good. :shakehead

Thanks for the help.

EDGETAC

Newly Enlightened
Hello Stefan,

So do you think that I have a bad driver :shakehead, now I would have to either return this light or just leave it in a corner. I've sent a message to edgetac and will see what they say.

I have to say that I am really disapponited with edgetac because the flashlight feels solid and construction is flawless but the driver and circuitry are no good. :shakehead

Thanks for the help.

Hi machoamigo,

:)Did not get your message yet, but I have a PM sent to you about your light issue, please refer to it, thanks!

Best Regards,
EDGE TAC

Latest posts