HELP: Upgrade an old E1e w/KL1 or buy Backup

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need some advice here.

I have a an old E1e with Surefire's original KL1 LED head on it.

It's in like new condition and I use it mainly for draining the last little bit of juice out of those 123's

I'm debating one of three options and I'm stuck, mostly because I saw the new KX1 LED head that offers more Lumens and dual mode on Surefire's Web site for $66

I see my options as this, should I
A) Keep the E1e with the old KL1 or
B) Upgrade to the Dual output, Higher lumen KX1 head selling the KL1 (who would want it?) or
C) Sell the E1e & KL1...and buy the 'Backup" [using the money received from the sale to offset the increase cost of the Backup over the cost of the KX1 head?]

Does anybody remember with the Lumen rating was on the original KL1 LED head's? 25L or 30L?

Last edited:

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Horizonseeker, I'll keep you in mind if I decide to sell. If I do it, will be a TON cheaper than the $66 for the KX1 upgrade.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
The lumens rating on the old KL1 head is 25, and i think you will like the new KX1 head should you decide to buy one.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider modding the KL1? $9 for an SSC P4 LED will give you maybe 60-70 lumens, $5 Khatod reflector, a McE2s tail for 2 stages. Easy mod.
But maybe you just want something new.

thegeek

Enlightened
I had a similar decision not too long ago. I opted for the KX2 head so I could use RCR123's and have a bit higher output. I'm quite happy with the head, but it will NOT turn on with only 3 volts. So if you prefer primaries, then go with the KX1.